By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - NoA explains the lack of regular New 3DS “We had to be able to market it”

Ugh, that is just flat out poor.

Around the Network
KingdomHeartsFan said:
Dusk said:

Well, there hasn't been an official announcement of that yet, I'm sure it will be shortly. It is still being sold on store shelves so it's not discontinued. It just isn't selling due to the XL, 2DS and now the New 3DS XL.

Has Nintendo ever released an official announcement that they are discontinuing a console?  That would be really stupid considering how close the names of all the 3DS consoles are, it would just cause confusion.

Yes. The Wii was the most recent one. 

Gotta figure out how to set these up lol.

zorg1000 said:
Nuvendil said:

Let me translate the language of corporate for you: 3DS XL sales in the US annihilated standard 3DS sales. Like it did everywhere else.  Which is why they discontinued the standard 3DS in the US in the first place.  So the market for the N3DSXL is bigger than the N3DS. It's really that simple. If they bring the N3DS to the market, they'll probably do it during a holiday season to capitalize on the rush.

It's really not that simple. Like u said, the XL version was more popular than the standard version in every region, so why is America the only one that doesn't get the standard sized New model? Based on what ur saying, Japan, Europe and Australia shouldn't have gotten it either because the XL version was more popular in those regions as well.

Well North America is a very expansive region for one, so producing the needed units to stock stores would have been quite costly.  Plus, we don't know the division between 3DS and XL.  In Japan, the XL won handily, but the standard still sold respectably iirc.  I don't know the EU's division.  In the US it might have been much more lopsided.  Also, in Japan I think it's obvious they were anticipating capturing some people with the faceplates and accessories for the standard N3DS that might not otherwise pay attention.  However, the failure of that push to even out the sales between it and the XL model likely influenced decisions abroad.  I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the N3DS comes to the states later, maybe this Holiday, because they don't want to launch it now in the shadow of the XL model and during the slower February month.  Also, they said later they want to target a younger audience more directly and the N3DS standard would make sense for that, especially during the holidays.

But I think most of this is down to keeping costs of production in check.  The standard 3DS did very poorly compared to the XL model and they don't want to burn resources to supply a region with the new model right now when the sell through could be bad.  If they do launch it later during the holidays, they can capitalize on the rush, especially the influx of parents buying for children who are easily swayed by price differences.

Metrium said:
I don't understand the anger ppl are having over this. I don't know a single soul who tried the 3DSXL and wished to go back to the regular size. XL is just so much better in the vast majority of people's opinions. So why bother bring the N3DS when the N3DSXL for the vast majority.

Because some people prefer portability over screen size, some people want the customizable faceplates, and for some it's the principle. Many people don't want choices made for them and the fact that Japan, Europe and Australia are all able to make that choice for themselves makes it seem like a slap in the face. If they got rid of region-locking this wouldn't be as big of a deal.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.