By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sanity Check: PS4 still on its path to 100m+?

So what's your number?

<100m 77 25.50%

>100m 119 39.40%

>120m 40 13.25%

>140m 27 8.94%

Half-Life 3 comfirmed! 39 12.91%

Total:302

PS4 will sell over 100 million, the only problem with that will be that will represent a huge drop in consoles sales from a gen where 3 consoles came close to 100 million. Still it's a win and big marketshare for Sony.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Around the Network
fatslob-:O said:
Materia-Blade said:

That won't happen unless they want to go bankrupt. 10 years is 4 years too long.

Except they're both bigger than Nintendo and if the people here have a lot of faith in Nintendo then it can only make sense that they'd be the least likely to go bankrupt ...

Oh fatslob...If you do a little research,you will see that Nintendo has a very low bankruptcy possibility(22%,someone else had the triple of that precentage.I wish and hope that it has reduced a lot this precentage) http://www.technobuffalo.com/2014/01/02/sony-has-78-chance-to-go-bankrupt-in-two-years-says-macroaxis/ That was in march when nintendo was posting losses,now things has changed significantly and for the better...!

http://wiiudaily.com/2014/03/nintendo-not-doomed/ It  has enough money to bank to run a deficit of 257$m for 38 years and  then it can endure till 2075 with the held premises,properties,equipment,investments etc...So I can have a lot of faith in Nintendo,don't impeach for that...Reality allows me to have this faith!

You may believe that nintendo has big possibilites of bankruptcy but reality contradicts that,so my friendly advice is to do a research in order to have a better picture of the things for forming your opinion...!I know you said something that is a little bit different but the way you put it it's like you,implying what I said in the first line of this paragraph...

Ka-pi96 said:
small44 said:
Ryng_Tolu said:

PS2 is after the Wii the king of casual.

Even PS4.

When i talk about casual i talk about games like Cook mama and Nintendo dogs did any ps2 or ps4 casuals games like those two sold as much as them the question is no.

If you put Fifa and Call of duty games in casuals range then those gamers never left home consoles

I'd include the people that just bought the console as a DVD player as casuals as well...

This. People like to say that PS2 is the king because of its games, but it was a cheap dvd player for a long time. It sold millions of units because of this function.

tak13 said:

Oh fatslob...If you do a little research,you will see that Nintendo has a very low bankruptcy possibility(22%,someone else had the triple of that precentage.I wish and hope that it has reduced a lot this precentage) http://www.technobuffalo.com/2014/01/02/sony-has-78-chance-to-go-bankrupt-in-two-years-says-macroaxis/ That was in march when nintendo was posting losses,now things has changed significantly and for the better...!

http://wiiudaily.com/2014/03/nintendo-not-doomed/ It  has enough money to bank to run a deficit of 257$m for 38 years and  then it can endure till 2075 with the held premises,properties,equipment,investments etc...So I can have a lot of faith in Nintendo,don't impeach for that...Reality allows me to have this faith!

You may believe that nintendo has big possibilites of bankruptcy but reality contradicts that,so my friendly advice is to do a research in order to have a better picture of the things for forming your opinion...!I know you said something that is a little bit different but the way you put it it's like you,implying what I said in the first line of this paragraph...

Did you even read my post ?! 

bunchanumbers said:
Ka-pi96 said:
small44 said:
Ryng_Tolu said:

PS2 is after the Wii the king of casual.

Even PS4.

When i talk about casual i talk about games like Cook mama and Nintendo dogs did any ps2 or ps4 casuals games like those two sold as much as them the question is no.

If you put Fifa and Call of duty games in casuals range then those gamers never left home consoles

I'd include the people that just bought the console as a DVD player as casuals as well...

This. People like to say that PS2 is the king because of its games, but it was a cheap dvd player for a long time. It sold millions of units because of this function.

You over-estimate the number of people who bought it just for DVD

PS4 - over 100 millions let's say 120m
Xbox One - 70m
Wii U - 25m

Vita - 15m if it will not get Final Fantasy Kingdoms Heart and Monster Hunter 20m otherwise
3DS - 80m

Around the Network

still do to ealry to till if it will just over 100m or if it can get deep into the 120s and 130s

also patiently waiting for ps3 to get there they need to start selling those for 150 or less

Play Me

The way I look at it, it is up to Sony how much PS4 will sell. If they open the system up and make it just as versatile as a smartphone or tablet, then they can easily sell 200M units or more. If they continue as a limited function entertainment system that plays games, then they will be lucky to get past 100M.

As I have said multiple times, PlayStation Vue will be PS4's first big killer app. This will allow PS4 to knock every other box under the TV out to the curb. If Sony starts to take advantage of PSN by offering bundles and contracts, they could get PS4's entry price down in a matter of no time. Hell, they could offer a zero down PS4 if you sign up for 2 years of PS Vue, PS Music, PS Now, and PS+. Offers like this would put PS4 in a market no console has ever entered.

Using PSN as a backbone, Sony can build a massive userbase, and garner nearly full support of the software development community. This will open up the doors to PS4 being a legitimate PC/Mac replacement, and give them an oppertunity to launch a PlayStation Phone that can go toe to toe with Android and iOS.

Put all of the above together, and Sony can find itself as one of the most powerful companies in the world again. Put all of it together, and PlayStation 4 can become on of the best selling devices ever.

Beyond that, and getting back to what we already know. Sony has the biggest and most diverse 1st party game Studio in the world. They have not even scratched the surface of what they or the system is capable of. We still have Gran Turismo and a true Racing Wheel comming down the road. Uncharted is still yet to hit the system. God of War boiling in the pits of hell. Plus we have many studios that previously were off doing Vita games now working on PS4 projects. Sony 1st party alone will be launching well polished major exclusives nearly every other month starting this month, and there is no end in sight.

Then there are 3rd party and Indie titles. Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, Batman, The Witcher, PGA Tour, Oblivion, Mass Effect, non of these titles have seen an entry on next gen consoles. Call of Duty, Battlefield, Need For Speed, Madden, NBA 2K, and many more have still not went PS4/XBO only. So many big 3rd party titles left to pull fans to the console. Then there are the innovative, new, and unique indie titles that are comming which will please hardcore gamers, and open things up to people that may not have found what they are looking for yet.

Finally, Price. I know I mentioned it above in a hypothetical way, but in a more sensible way the console is still $399. No console has ever sold this well at this price, and no console has ever sold its best untell it hit $299. With the games above, and hundereds of dollars worth the price cuts wiating in the background the future of the PS4 looks bright. Add in PS Vue, and a major expansion in functionallity, and the possabilities are endless.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Ka-pi96 said:
small44 said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Does it really matter? We know people bought it for that, we know it had a lot of casual games as well, singstar, eyetoy & guitar hero comes to mind. It had plenty of casuals...

Best selling games still hardcore.

We have 0 proof that people buy it for DVD

I personally knew people that bought it as a DVD player. It doesn't prove that a lot of people bought it for that, but it does prove at least some did.

Edit: Also, it doesn't matter what the top selling games are. Nobodies trying to argue that it was a casual console. But it did get casuals buying it and certainly wouldn't have made it to 150m without them.

Not just a few of your friends bought the PS2 for a DVD player.  I managed BestBuy stores back when the PS2 launched and most of its lifetime.  The buy it for a DVD player was so prevelent, Best Buy had training sessions for our employees on it.  Most people will remember, the PS3 was/is the Best bluray player at the lowest price when it was released also.  That was my excuse to convince my wife that I needed one.  "look honey, it is a bluray player and a game console". 

That point aside, that doesn't mean those buyers didn't become gamers.

It is near the end of the end....

Mummelmann said:
Game Boy Color was technically not the same as the original Game Boy, so while the two combined have sold more than the Advance; this is not the case when they're separated.

By that logic, we have to separate gba from gba sp, ds from ds lite/dsi/dsixl and 3ds from 3dsxl/2ds/n3ds/n3dsxl. This is an old discussion long settled.

The Game Boy Color is not the same as the Game Boy and is widely regarded as the successor; it even had a next generation chipset. The main CPU was twice as fast as the original Game Boy, it featured 15 bit colors as opposed to only 2 bits on GB, it had twice as much video RAM and four times as much system RAM; how exactly is this the same as the Game Boy other than the name? it's not like 3DS and 3DS XL or even 2DS, the 3DS and 2DS share the same RAM, same CPU and specs, the difference lies in display and storage. The same goes for DS and its revisions. The original iPhone is the same phone as the iPhone 5 or 6? It's basically the same argument.

The Game Boy and Game Boy Color are not the same console.

This is not stretching; it is fact.