By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Game pad not being used??

I'm a big believer in not forcing it on people, so I'm happy the way it is being used.

old skool

Around the Network
Aquietguy said:
KingdomHeartsFan said:

I like using off screen play on my Wii U, but in no way does that one feature justify a $140-160 controller (They sell individually in Japan for $160 and to order a replacement controller from Nintendo is $140).  Microsoft found a way to provide off screen play while keeping your TV available for free considering you have a PC.

More has been done than just off screen.  The ones that have played That I really love the uses is Zimbi U and Pikmin 3. Plus Nintendo Land is the real demonstrator of what can be done with the pad.

You said off screen alone justifies the pad.

I said before last E3 that it was now or never for Nintendo to prove the worth of the gamepad, and they came out and proved its worth and more imo. A lot of those games haven't yet released, but there is a lot of great stuff on the way

haqqaton said:

Stealth Inc. 2 is a a great example of a how the GamePad can/should be used in some games.

Here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nq7u8zaFZGM  (watch the whole video)

I think that developers aren't creative enough or don't even give it (Wii U) a shot. The GamePad opens endless possibilities; Minecraft on it would be THE DEFINITIVE WAY to play.

Wow, seems the best gamepad usage ever!

Aquietguy said:

I keep reading this all over gaming threads. Yet no one says how it should be used.  Further more, I have see the pad used well in many games. Off screen along justifies the pad. But i really love managing items without having to pause. Plus, as I always say, I wish I had the pad for the water temple in the Orcarina of Time. Having to pause all the time to change boots got really annoying. The key is to use as needed,  which is whats happing.  How is it not being used and how would you use it?

You've got the second screen on the 3DS to do that in Ocarina of Time 3D. There you go.

Around the Network
pokoko said:
I've said this before but I definitely think it could be quite innovative to use it to map out extra hot-keys. One of the reasons I buy some games on PC over consoles is all the extra keys I can use. For example, in Fallout games I use all eight slots for weapons and it's really still not enough. In Skyrim, I love being able to map specific weapons and armor sets. With a game like World of Warcraft, it's just impossible to play on console because of all the skills you have. This is one of the principle failings of the standard controller and a place where the Wii U's gamepad could make a name for itself.

If I were Nintendo, I'd include a hot-key mapping system with software that could quickly and easily be used by developers so they could allow anything they liked to be assigned to a virtual key press. Does the Wii U have this or something like it?

With online, real-time games, the ability to access sub-menus would be pretty nifty, though really not that big of a deal. I mean, it's good to be able to use these things without covering up your view but you're still looking away from the screen and risking death. With most single-player games, though, a pause menu on the main screen is just as good and a mini-map in the corner is better. In fact, in a lot of games, you definitely want the action to pause while you make a decision. The exception would be games that don't pause when you access a menu or games where you have a more detailed overview map buried in a menu.

Tekken Tag 2 lets you map bottons / button combinations to the screen. I think it's just one though so not exactly what you'd like to see.

I personally really like the pad.

Its use in ZombiU really added to the tension (very important in horror survival for me) by cutting out your view of the surroundings while managing your inventory. There were also several other uses in that game I liked.

Unepic - liked it for inventory in this game as well.

HuluPlus and Netflix - although both are slower and for a long time were less than stable on Wii U I love having the additional information about the program I'm watching on the pad(i.e. how long is left in the program, the name of the episode I'm watching and its season and episode number). I also like navigating those two programs better on the pad. Searches where you enter letter by letter ... so much better being able to type

Asymmetrical gameplay in competitive games is fantastic. Some of my friends like to play COD on the Wii U since we can play against each other and you can't screen peak. Mario Chase from Nintendoland is another fine example of this.

I'd guess our next Metroid will use the pad for special visors.

sundin13 said:
I said before last E3 that it was now or never for Nintendo to prove the worth of the gamepad, and they came out and proved its worth and more imo. A lot of those games haven't yet released, but there is a lot of great stuff on the way

They were forced to promise their shareholders that they should make games for the gamepad:

"Our top priority task this year is to offer software titles that are made possible because of the GamePad. We have managed to offer several of such software titles for occasions when many people gather in one place to play, but we have not been able to offer a decisive software title that enriches the user’s gameplay experience when playing alone with the GamePad. This will be one of the top priorities of Mr. Miyamoto’s software development department this year." 

Corporate Management Policy Briefing

Third Quarter Financial Results Briefing 

for Fiscal Year Ending March 2014

Jan. 30, 2014

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/140130/index.html

Fededx said:
Aquietguy said:

I keep reading this all over gaming threads. Yet no one says how it should be used.  Further more, I have see the pad used well in many games. Off screen along justifies the pad. But i really love managing items without having to pause. Plus, as I always say, I wish I had the pad for the water temple in the Orcarina of Time. Having to pause all the time to change boots got really annoying. The key is to use as needed,  which is whats happing.  How is it not being used and how would you use it?

You've got the second screen on the 3DS to do that in Ocarina of Time 3D. There you go.

You also have the second screen on the pad.

Well, I use my gamepad a lot! more than my kinect :P