By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Very, very soon Sony will target PS2 users to upgrade to a PS3

Sony's dead face it

Around the Network

well, what is your secret weapon for the Ps2 owners ?

where is GT5 ? ==> 2009
where is GTA4 ? ==> on the Xbox360
where is FFXIII ? ==> 2009

I m just underlying that the Sony strategy is not perfect.
This type of PR claim is stupid.

Time to Work !

The key to getting PS2 users to upgrade to a PS3 is software. More specifically, software that they are willing to upgrade to a new console in order to play.

There were 13 PS2 games that sold over 5M copies worldwide. 9 of them were in franchises that will have a sequel this year on the PS3.
3 Grand Theft Autos
3 Final Fantasies
2 Grand Turismos
1 Metal Gear Solids

1) Price cut
2) full backwards compat
3) continued PS2 franchises

He's right that 360 hasn't taken many of the PS2 base (just Madden & GH fans) but Wii surely is and he ignores that totally.

If Sony wants to keep those 41m, they'd better start undercutting the Wii in price.

Around the Network
Wii7me said:
Sony's dead face it

So what do you win if your prefered console sells more than another?

Cheebee said:
mesoteto said:
^they are going to stop service and production of all ps2 models...as well as games being produced

Stopping production of new PS2s won't make people who already own one buy a PS3 :p.

that way when theres dies they cant just replace it 

Gamerace said:
He's right that 360 hasn't taken many of the PS2 base (just Madden & GH fans) but Wii surely is and he ignores that totally.

If Sony wants to keep those 41m, they'd better start undercutting the Wii in price.

No, see the PS3 does not want to undercut the Wii in price... because if it does, and the Wii continues selling like hotcakes, then they have real problems. Right now, they can use price as a sort of excuse. Sort of like how Wii can use supply as an excuse for low sales.

These consoles aint cheap that you can buy one when Sony says its time to move on...

As far as PS2 users at 47 milion, lets not be silly here. I owned 3 ps2's myself, one had DRE, another I screwed up trying to mod in my college days... i know people that went through 5.

I am willing to bet that at no single time of consoles lifespan did they have more than 25 million active units on the US market due to damaged consoles, and people buying slim models as backups because they looked cute and were cheap.

how many ps2 sold at 299? Maybe he's speaking about this?