By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Very, very soon Sony will target PS2 users to upgrade to a PS3

Define significantly better and I almost guarantee you that the Wii will fit that description. It is probably in the neighborhood of 4-5X as strong as the PS2. That is absolutely a significant increase.

Maybe in imaginary numbers. In real-world performance, not so much. So far I've seen a grand total of 2 games that look significantly better than anything on PS2: Mario Galaxy and Smash Brothers Brawl (and I haven't seen the latter in motion). The rest look no better than the PS2, and frequently look worse. And so far there isn't the slightest indication that this trend is turning around. Having a box on my TV stand that's theoretically more powerful than the box next to it doesn't make a whole lot of difference to me.

If a last-gen console owner wants a graphical upgrade, the Wii simply isn't a viable option. (Not that it isn't worthwhile for other reasons).

Around the Network

I bought my PS3 last summer just because I wanted the 60GB with full backwords compatibility. I believe that they need to restore this on all their models. The PS2 has sold over 120 million units and even with a sixth of them being replacements for failures over the years that leaves 100 million consumers that may be looking to upgrade. while there as been 50 million in sales it doen't mean that 50 million former or current PS2 owners went out and bought the PS3 or other systems. First off this is because people who bought the gamecube probably bought the Wii or those who bought the Xbox went ahead and bought the Xbox360. While for the Wii it is bringing in more people who may or may not have been gamers previously. Much like the NES and the Playstation did before hand. Another reason why I can see that PS3 sales have been slow to pick up is the lack of games like MGS4 and Final Fantasy XIII. For me I am dying to have an RPG or a Strategy game that I can play on the PS3 and continue to buy PS2 era RPGs and Strategy games. This should be rectified for me come this fall with the release of games such has Valkyrie Chronicles and Disgaea 3. Sony should only drop the Price of their systems or when one of their competitors does. I believe that Sony shouldn't drop the system has long has videogame companies support it. For me I continue to pray that Ar Tonelico 2 and Persona 4 will make it stateside

Systems I own (Games)

Sega: Dreamcast (40) , Saturn (25), Genesis (50), Masters System (10), Game Gear (20)

Sony: PS1 (8), PS2 (60) , PS3 (5), PSP (12)

Atari: 2600 (18) , 7800 (10), Lynx (10)