By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Very, very soon Sony will target PS2 users to upgrade to a PS3

I wouldn't discontinue PS2 until it simply wasan't selling anymore, period. In fact, would it be financially possible or beneficial to "relaunch" the PS2 and revitalize advertisements and such. You know, advertise it like it's next gen. The PS2 could really compete with the Wii if the conception was had that it will be alive for many years.

Around the Network

I seriously doubt they are intending to discontinue the PS2. More than likely this guy was simply full of crap, and they aren't going to do anything different but continue to develop software and have another price drop whenever it's next financially viable.

Discontinuing the ps2 wouldn't do much if anything. Particularly in Europe, where ps3s aren't BC.

I mean would it be financially viable to advertise heavily for two systems at one time? What if Sony brought back lots of serious PS2 advertising, or better yet, in conjunction with PS3 and PSP like the MLB 08 The Show commecials that advertise the PS family. I think the PS2 could really cause a rupture between people who go Wii or PS3 lite, aka PS2. Advertise it like it's next gen. Can this be done?

^^^ Please answer, me, I need to know! lol.....

Around the Network

It's financially viable to advertise the PS2 as such sure, but it's not an ad campaign that would work. The average consumer may not be the most informed person ever, but the PS2 lacks the future software library to maintain strong sales after this year. Heck, current PS2 software sales are downright awful, which implies that most PS2s being purchased now are either replacements or budget gamers who won't buy anything but used software.

naznatips said:
It's financially viable to advertise the PS2 as such sure, but it's not an ad campaign that would work. The average consumer may not be the most informed person ever, but the PS2 lacks the future software library to maintain strong sales after this year. Heck, current PS2 software sales are downright awful, which implies that most PS2s being purchased now are either replacements or budget gamers who won't buy anything but used software.

This is what I mean. Sony should encourage people to make lots of good games on it again. Advertise it like it a peer for the Wii.  They should try to discourage the notion that it is last gen and accentuate the still godlike library and advertise the playstations as a unit.  Make it seem cool again.  With the price and library, people might become  interested if they think it's gonna be around for a long time and see good games again.  Release alot of the new games on PS2 as well.  I dunno, I think this would be an interesting strategy.

naznatips said:

I'm going to have to disagree with that one. The most of the games for Ps2 are 20 dollars. I just see a lot of people buying but not the same game (so the sales don't get noticed).

NYANKS said:

This is what I mean. Sony should encourage people to make lots of good games on it again. Advertise it like it a peer for the Wii.  They should try to discourage the notion that it is last gen and accentuate the still godlike library and advertise the playstations as a unit.  Make it seem cool again.  With the price and library, people might become  interested if they think it's gonna be around for a long time and see good games again.  Release alot of the new games on PS2 as well.  I dunno, I think this would be an interesting strategy.

The Ps2 well dried up.

As for a trade in program... why in the HELL would Sony want all those old PS2s back?

How could they possibly utilize them for a profit of even $50? (as the minimum proposed discount)

A trade in program makes little sense.