By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - How Much Will Halo 5 Sell Lifetime?

A_C_E said:
JustBeingReal said:

See bolded text in the reply above.

360 sales the week before Halo Reach - 158,605. 360 sales the week of Halo Reach - 264,466. That's about a 65% increase in sales for that one week.

360 sales the week before Halo 4 - 241,278. 360 sales the week of Halo 4 - 379,848. That's about a 55% increase in sales for that one week.

A game does not have to sell hardware at the same rate the software sells for it to be a system seller, who came up with that? Again your coming up with random reasoning.

I have never said people only buy a console for one game and one game only. Although I'm sure some people have but that would be pretty rare. What I have said is that alot of people buy Xbox's for the purpose of playing Halo. Of course those people are also going to buy other games before, the week of, and after Halo releases.

Your majorly failing to see the jump in sales. You are looking at just the numbers for the first week then looking at how much the numbers jump, very narrow minded and also hypocritical considering you say Halo isn't a system seller but then go on to say that huge amounts of people buy the Xbox because they know Halo will be on it or is on it. Millions of people buy the Xbox before Halo releases, the week of, and many years after. Seriously, your definition of a system seller does not match up, keep giving random reasoning and 'small' sales jump data for the first week though if that makes you feel better.

And I'm not searching for the truth, I'm simply saying that hardware sales jump (over 55%) each time a new Halo game releases and that alot of people buy Xbox's because Halo is on it. I guess your right, you are afraid the facts are what they are maybe if you learned to argue and weren't so hypocritcal you could get rid of those fears.

The game sold 3,698,137, out of all of those people that bought Reach 105,861 bought an XBox 360 alongside the game, 28% of the people that bought the game, bought a console because of that game, pretty small compared to the number of people that actually bought the game.

Considering we're talking about the ability to push HW sales up, vs the amount of software sold it's not a big increase.

I can go on for each game in the Halo series, Reach and 4 had the biggest effect, pretty narrow minded of you to only look at the effect of the 2 games that had the biggest effect on hardware sales in a whole series and use them as the standard, when the majority of Halo games don't have that level of effect, look at Destiny as an example of system selling effect, that game sells like 2.2M in software and moves 440K in hardware, it's the ratio of software to hardware sales I'm talking about.

I'm not failing at anything here (BTW it's you're when you're saying you are ;) ).

It's not hypocritical at all to point out facts, you're insinuating that Halo will drive hardware system sales up when it's release in some huge way, I'm saying that won't likely be the case for Halo 5, because the very people that play Halo have already bought an XBox One, the audience was already on the platform, not just for Halo, but for other games and Halo is one reason among many reasons for why those people already bought an Xbox.

The most you can say about Halo is that it sells very well, calling it a system seller isn't accurate in any way.

Around the Network

6.5 million. I don't see how anyone thinks Halo 5 will outsell it's predecessors. 343i has done f'd up Halo imo.

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016

JustBeingReal said:

The game sold 3,698,137, out of all of those people that bought Reach 105,861 bought an XBox 360 alongside the game, 28% of the people that bought the game, bought a console because of that game, pretty small compared to the number of people that actually bought the game.

Considering we're talking about the ability to push HW sales up, vs the amount of software sold it's not a big increase.

I can go on for each game in the Halo series, Reach and 4 had the biggest effect, pretty narrow minded of you to only look at the effect of the 2 games that had the biggest effect on hardware sales in a whole series and use them as the standard, when the majority of Halo games don't have that level of effect, look at Destiny as an example of system selling effect, that game sells like 2.2M in software and moves 440K in hardware, it's the ratio of software to hardware sales I'm talking about.

I'm not failing at anything here (BTW it's you're when you're saying you are ;) ).

It's not hypocritical at all to point out facts, you're insinuating that Halo will drive hardware system sales up when it's release in some huge way, I'm saying that won't likely be the case for Halo 5, because the very people that play Halo have already bought an XBox One, the audience was already on the platform, not just for Halo, but for other games and Halo is one reason among many reasons for why those people already bought an Xbox.

The most you can say about Halo is that it sells very well, calling it a system seller isn't accurate in any way.

We are not talking about the ability to push HW sales up vs the amount of software sold, only you are. I'm simply stating that Halo is a system seller, no hidden meaning, no smoke and mirrors, random reasoning or weak comparisons.

We've already been over this, I'm not talking about how much the game sells, I'm talking about how many systems people buy because of the game, why the **** would it matter how many games sold in proportion to the hardware? I am not talking about game sales here, I am talking about how many systems Halo sells due to its existence and the answer is, on the first week alone, sales rise by over 55%, never mind all the people who buy Xbox for Halo before and after release.

Zelda, Mario Kart, SSB, Gears of War, Halo, MGS, CoD, GT, GTA, Pokemon, MH, FF...all these games sales are MUUUUUUCH higher than the hardware they launch on first week but also have big effects as far as hardware boost goes. Stop going on about a games sales not matching hardware and actually look at how much of a spike these games give their consoles because going by your definition there is no such thing as a system seller.

It is hypocritical to point out facts when they go against what you are saying. I am not saying Halo will drive Xbox sales on just release in some huge way, I'm saying Halo is a system seller and there's zero reason to think Halo 5 will be any different.

dangerguy said:
small44 said:
dangerguy said:
small44 said:
dangerguy said:
Yeah, it's a very different situation than when Halo 3 came out. There was nothing else. There was no Call of Duty. Halo doesn't have the appeal it used it. I'm going to say 3.5 million and even that feels optimistic to me.

When Halo 3 came Call of duty was already big Call of duty has 0 effect on Halo serie

Ok, sorry, let me clarify that: Call of Duty 4.

Call of Duty 4 had a signficant effect on the Halo franchise after it launched in November 2007. In regards to being the "go to" multiplayer. Halo was the premier competitive MP game. Halo 2 and Halo 3 were the pinnacle. That completely changed in November 2007 when COD4 launched.

Halo 3 was out about 6 weeks before COD4. Halo was the game of the era. On Xbox 360 you were either playing Gears of War or Halo. The COD era hadn't really started yet. I was an absolute hardcore Halo player, especially Halo 3. However, once COD4 launched that November, it was game over for me. The COD "formula" and gameplay won my heart over.

My point is, because of COD, Battlefield, now Titanfall, etc, Halo will never be what it was. And even if Halo 4 would have been an epic return to the series, the landscape has changed.

No it didn't Call of duty 4 launched in the same time as Halo 3 the best selling Halo game where do you see the effect,you give to much importance to originality even if a game is not innovative as long as it's good people will buy it.

People said the same about Gran turismo 5,they said Gran turismo is not popular anymore it's not innovative it's has stronger competion with Forza,Need for speed shift etc they said it won't even sell 5 millions and now Gran turismo 5 sold more then 10 millions

COD 4 launched 6 weeks after Halo 3. To say COD4 and the COD franchise in general had 0 effect on the sucess of the Halo franchise is a little naive. Halo 3 was the peak of the series in regards to sales. Why did sales decline from Halo 3 to Halo Reach? 

The landscape has changed dramatically. This isn't 2007 anymore. People are playing other things; Call of Duty, Battlefield, Destiny, etc. 

Back on topic: 3.5 million. That's my guess.

Halo 3 heavely bundled unlike other Halo that's why it's the best selling one it's just like Gran turismo GT3 was the best gran turismo ever yet GT5 sold more then 10m a lot better then pessimist guy like you.

The fact that people play Call of duty,battlefield and destiny dosn't mean people stop playing Halo.

You predict with your heart instead of you're brain

PS4 - over 100 millions let's say 120m
Xbox One - 70m
Wii U - 25m

Vita - 15m if it will not get Final Fantasy Kingdoms Heart and Monster Hunter 20m otherwise
3DS - 80m

A_C_E said:
JustBeingReal said:

We are not talking about the ability to push HW sales up vs the amount of software sold, only you are. I'm simply stating that Halo is a system seller, no hidden meaning, no smoke and mirrors, random reasoning or weak comparisons.

We've already been over this, I'm not talking about how much the game sells, I'm talking about how many systems people buy because of the game, why the **** would it matter how many games sold in proportion to the hardware? I am not talking about game sales here, I am talking about how many systems Halo sells due to its existence and the answer is, on the first week alone, sales rise by over 55%, never mind all the people who buy Xbox for Halo before and after release.

Zelda, Mario Kart, SSB, Gears of War, Halo, MGS, CoD, GT, GTA, Pokemon, MH, FF...all these games sales are MUUUUUUCH higher than the hardware they launch on first week but also have big effects as far as hardware boost goes. Stop going on about a games sales not matching hardware and actually look at how much of a spike these games give their consoles because going by your definition there is no such thing as a system seller.

It is hypocritical to point out facts when they go against what you are saying. I am not saying Halo will drive Xbox sales on just release in some huge way, I'm saying Halo is a system seller and there's zero reason to think Halo 5 will be any different.

Yes we are talking about software vs hardware sales, upon release and post release, that's the point of this whole conversation.

If Halo was a system seller then the hardware sales would rise in line with the software sales of said game when it released, but that didn't happen. People bought Halo because they already owned the platform the game was on, if this wasn't the case then you wouldn't have such a  huge disparity between software and hardware sales figures.

I don't get why it's so hard for you to grasp that in order to be a system seller the game has to move hardware, unless that happens when the game comes out all you have is proof that the audience for the game was already on the platform and people bought the game because it was on the platform they already owned. You ignoring the facts, the numbers, the real data we have in front of us doens't change that fact.

Don't tell a person what they can and can't say, I'll say whatever I like, you're not going to shut me up just because you don't agree with what the facts prove.

Actually look at the level of hardware sales there are compared to the software sales of that one game, the rise isn't in line with that and I'm not just talking at launch, I'm talking across multiple weeks after the game came out, even though the sales of the game may be high relative to other titles. Show the data that supposedly proves the franchise deserves the title of system seller or admit that this is your opinion and nothing but your opinion.

Around the Network
JustBeingReal said:

Yes we are talking about software vs hardware sales, upon release and post release, that's the point of this whole conversation.

If Halo was a system seller then the hardware sales would rise in line with the software sales of said game when it released, but that didn't happen. People bought Halo because they already owned the platform the game was on, if this wasn't the case then you wouldn't have such a  huge disparity between software and hardware sales figures.

I don't get why it's so hard for you to grasp that in order to be a system seller the game has to move hardware, unless that happens when the game comes out all you have is proof that the audience for the game was already on the platform and people bought the game because it was on the platform they already owned. You ignoring the facts, the numbers, the real data we have in front of us doens't change that fact.

Don't tell a person what they can and can't say, I'll say whatever I like, you're not going to shut me up just because you don't agree with what the facts prove.

Actually look at the level of hardware sales there are compared to the software sales of that one game, the rise isn't in line with that and I'm not just talking at launch, I'm talking across multiple weeks after the game came out, even though the sales of the game may be high relative to other titles. Show the data that supposedly proves the franchise deserves the title of system seller or admit that this is your opinion and nothing but your opinion.

I never told what you could or couldn't say, I said we both weren't talking about software vs hardware, only you were. Funny how you say to me, "Don't tell a person what they can and can't say", when in that sentence you're telling me what I can't say. Your hypocrisy strikes again.

For the millionth time, I'm not talking about hardware vs software for Halo, I'm talking about Halo selling systems regardless of how many software is sold. I am talking about a system seller, not a software AND system seller...just system seller. That's what Halo is, a system seller. It doesn't matter how many units of software it sells so long as the hardware jumps during and after release then it is a system seller because system sales dramatically RISE during release. If you want to use the large Halo software numbers that an Xbox system will NEVER match just to fit your arguement then go right ahead. You argue like a hypocrite and your arguements are non-applicable.

How is your arguement non-applicable you ask? Well let me give you an example. Going by your logic if Halo were to sell 100 million units first week but only moved 4 million Xbox's in one week then it is not a system seller because the software to hardware ratio is not very big. So even though Halo hypothetically moved 4 million Xbox's in one week it is not a system seller.

Its not that I disagree with your logic (I do) and its not that I take your arguements personally (I don't care enough) its just that your logic simply isn't applicable.

Nothing you have said is hard for me to grasp. Everything you have said I understand, I just simply disagree with your random reasoning. When a game consistently boosts hardware by at least 55% (for the first week alone) with each main release then that is my definition of a system seller.

And of course there's going to be disparity of Halo's FW software numbers and Xbox's FW hardware numbers. I'm sure many people buy Xbox's at launch or early on in the life cycle strictly because they know Halo will be on it, its a game with a massive hardcore and casual crowd. Just because people bought their console earlier then Halo came out doesn't mean they didn't buy it for the intention of Halo. Halo is what has sold millions of Xbox's every year, its got a big community, great legs and does really well on metacritic. Halo moves systems wether its first week or launch week of Xbox. Xbox's sales would not be where they are without Halo.

it depends if this game is on PC too(I predict it will be).

Roughly 7.6 million for me. After Halo 3, the series hasn't seen that level of success since; starting with ODST. Sales are still strong for the series, but I don't think Guardians will approach 3 levels.

" It has never been about acknowledgement when you achieve something. When you are acknowledged, then and only then can you achieve something. Always have your friends first to achieve your goals later." - OnlyForDisplay

It seems history is going to repeat itself: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=149534&page=1
There are alot of similarities between this thread and the link above

Proud to be a Californian.

3 million 

"Every day I look in the mirror and ask myself: "If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?". If the answer is no for too many days in a row, I know I need to change something"

Steve Jobs