By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - How Much Will Halo 5 Sell Lifetime?

JustBeingReal said:
A_C_E said:

All the Halo's after Halo 3 only boosted hardware because Halo 3 existed? That's what I said, not hard to understand really. The biggest selling Halo game on any platform, sold 12M units, no later Halo release sold more, even the week Halo 3 came out there wasn't a huge sales increase on the level of something like Destiny (440K units of hardware vs like 2.2M units of software)

Because sales boosted quite a bit the week each of the Halo's released, Not really even though Halo 3 sold 3.8M units of software, it still only caused HW sales to go from 164,012 to 231,539 in the week Halo 3 came out, that's only a 67,527 increase, not that great really, what that tells us is that most people interested in Halo had already bought and XBox 360, the same is likely true of Halo 5.

You're majory failing to prove your point, where's the inarguable proof of halo being a system seller?

In order to be a system the series needs to cause hardware sales to increase proportionately with the software sales when game from that series come out, but that isn't what the numbers tell us, not at all.

Actually the games sell inarguably well, there's no doubting that, but the hardware sales don't rise in line with the software sales.

Halo 3 proves this, by only selling 67.5K 360's the week the game comes out, even though Halo 3 sold 3.8M units of the game.

360 sold 129,865 the week before ODST came out, but the week ODST released 360 sold 147,808, so ODST only caused a rise of 17,943 in XBox 360's hardware numbers.

Then looking at Reach, it sold 3,698,137 in software, but the week before the game came out Xbox 360 had sold 158,605, the week of Reach coming out it sold 264,466.

Then looking at Halo 4, it sold 3,662,557 software, 360 sold 241,278 the week before H4 came out, but 379848, so Halo 4 caused a sales rise of 138,570, dispite the game selling 3.6M units of software.

That tells us that the install base was largely there for Halo on the 360, people had already mainly bought the platform before any of these Halo games came out, with ODST being the weakest system seller and Reach being the biggest system seller, but none are really huge system sellers and that's what the numbers support.

Of course most people already knew Halo was coming out on the system, so they had already bought the platform.

The same will likely be the case for XB1, but we'll see what happens when Halo 5 comes out.

If Halo 5 sells over 3 million the week of it's release, but the hardware only rises by 150K

Because that's what history tells us, the game always sells well, no one can dought that, but the hardware sales don't rise in line with those software sales, they're always far lower, well below a 10th of the figure of software sales, I've give you the numbers above, but feel free to double check them yourself.

Because it's logic, a mulitple 100 dollar or pound device usually warrants thinking about what you're going to want to do with it.

If people only bought a console for one game, then hardware sales would be in line with that one game's sales figures when it comes out, that doesn't happen, in fact there's usually a huge disparity between software (being the highest figure) and hardware when most games come out.

Halo is actually an example of this.

Not really, Halo has huge numbers, because the people who want the game have already bought the console.

Multiplay and friends playing is one thing, but it's not the full reason, but people have already bought the platform because they have known the game was coming, but Halo isn't the only game they want, they play COD, they play Battlefield, Forza, basically everything that interests them.

Halo has already had it's effect, because the game was announced for the system and people knew it was coming. History shows that people bought an XBox 360 well before any of those Halo games had come out on the system, the fact that even Halo 3 sold 3.8M units of software, yet 360's numbers only rose by 67.5K shows this is the truth.

It looks like you can't handle the truth, but I'm afraid the facts are what they are.

See bolded text in the reply above.

360 sales the week before Halo Reach - 158,605. 360 sales the week of Halo Reach - 264,466. That's about a 65% increase in sales for that one week.

360 sales the week before Halo 4 - 241,278. 360 sales the week of Halo 4 - 379,848. That's about a 55% increase in sales for that one week.

A game does not have to sell hardware at the same rate the software sells for it to be a system seller, who came up with that? Again your coming up with random reasoning.

I have never said people only buy a console for one game and one game only. Although I'm sure some people have but that would be pretty rare. What I have said is that alot of people buy Xbox's for the purpose of playing Halo. Of course those people are also going to buy other games before, the week of, and after Halo releases.

Your majorly failing to see the jump in sales. You are looking at just the numbers for the first week then looking at how much the numbers jump, very narrow minded and also hypocritical considering you say Halo isn't a system seller but then go on to say that huge amounts of people buy the Xbox because they know Halo will be on it or is on it. Millions of people buy the Xbox before Halo releases, the week of, and many years after. Seriously, your definition of a system seller does not match up, keep giving random reasoning and 'small' sales jump data for the first week though if that makes you feel better.

And I'm not searching for the truth, I'm simply saying that hardware sales jump (over 55%) each time a new Halo game releases and that alot of people buy Xbox's because Halo is on it. I guess your right, you are afraid the facts are what they are maybe if you learned to argue and weren't so hypocritcal you could get rid of those fears.

Around the Network
dangerguy said:
Yeah, it's a very different situation than when Halo 3 came out. There was nothing else. There was no Call of Duty. Halo doesn't have the appeal it used it. I'm going to say 3.5 million and even that feels optimistic to me.

When Halo 3 came Call of duty was already big Call of duty has 0 effect on Halo serie

PS4 - over 100 millions let's say 120m
Xbox One - 70m
Wii U - 25m

Vita - 15m if it will not get Final Fantasy Kingdoms Heart and Monster Hunter 20m otherwise
3DS - 80m

small44 said:
dangerguy said:
Yeah, it's a very different situation than when Halo 3 came out. There was nothing else. There was no Call of Duty. Halo doesn't have the appeal it used it. I'm going to say 3.5 million and even that feels optimistic to me.

When Halo 3 came Call of duty was already big Call of duty has 0 effect on Halo serie

Ok, sorry, let me clarify that: Call of Duty 4.

Call of Duty 4 had a signficant effect on the Halo franchise after it launched in November 2007. In regards to being the "go to" multiplayer. Halo was the premier competitive MP game. Halo 2 and Halo 3 were the pinnacle. That completely changed in November 2007 when COD4 launched.

Halo 3 was out about 6 weeks before COD4. Halo was the game of the era. On Xbox 360 you were either playing Gears of War or Halo. The COD era hadn't really started yet. I was an absolute hardcore Halo player, especially Halo 3. However, once COD4 launched that November, it was game over for me. The COD "formula" and gameplay won my heart over.

My point is, because of COD, Battlefield, now Titanfall, etc, Halo will never be what it was. And even if Halo 4 would have been an epic return to the series, the landscape has changed.

dangerguy said:
small44 said:
dangerguy said:

Call of Duty 4 had a signficant effect on the Halo franchise after it launched in November 2007. In regards to being the "go to" multiplayer. Halo was the premier competitive MP game. Halo 2 and Halo 3 were the pinnacle. That completely changed in November 2007 when COD4 launched.

Halo 3 was out about 6 weeks before COD4. Halo was the game of the era. On Xbox 360 you were either playing Gears of War or Halo. The COD era hadn't really started yet. I was an absolute hardcore Halo player, especially Halo 3. However, once COD4 launched that November, it was game over for me. The COD "formula" and gameplay won my heart over.

My point is, because of COD, Battlefield, now Titanfall, etc, Halo will never be what it was. And even if Halo 4 would have been an epic return to the series, the landscape has changed.

No it didn't Call of duty 4 launched in the same time as Halo 3 the best selling Halo game where do you see the effect,you give to much importance to originality even if a game is not innovative as long as it's good people will buy it.

People said the same about Gran turismo 5,they said Gran turismo is not popular anymore it's not innovative it's has stronger competion with Forza,Need for speed shift etc they said it won't even sell 5 millions and now Gran turismo 5 sold more then 10 millions

PS4 - over 100 millions let's say 120m
Xbox One - 70m
Wii U - 25m

Vita - 15m if it will not get Final Fantasy Kingdoms Heart and Monster Hunter 20m otherwise
3DS - 80m

small44 said:
dangerguy said:
small44 said:
dangerguy said:

No it didn't Call of duty 4 launched in the same time as Halo 3 the best selling Halo game where do you see the effect,you give to much importance to originality even if a game is not innovative as long as it's good people will buy it.

People said the same about Gran turismo 5,they said Gran turismo is not popular anymore it's not innovative it's has stronger competion with Forza,Need for speed shift etc they said it won't even sell 5 millions and now Gran turismo 5 sold more then 10 millions

COD 4 launched 6 weeks after Halo 3. To say COD4 and the COD franchise in general had 0 effect on the sucess of the Halo franchise is a little naive. Halo 3 was the peak of the series in regards to sales. Why did sales decline from Halo 3 to Halo Reach? 

The landscape has changed dramatically. This isn't 2007 anymore. People are playing other things; Call of Duty, Battlefield, Destiny, etc. 

Back on topic: 3.5 million. That's my guess.

Around the Network
dangerguy said:
small44 said:
dangerguy said:
small44 said:
dangerguy said:

COD 4 launched 6 weeks after Halo 3. To say COD4 and the COD franchise in general had 0 effect on the sucess of the Halo franchise is a little naive. Halo 3 was the peak of the series in regards to sales. Why did sales decline from Halo 3 to Halo Reach? 

The landscape has changed dramatically. This isn't 2007 anymore. People are playing other things; Call of Duty, Battlefield, Destiny, etc. 

Back on topic: 3.5 million. That's my guess.

also cod wasn't even that big when cod 4 launched, it got bigger when people found out how good it was over time.

At least more than 1 copy.

(Willing to make a bet)

Yes, I agree. That doesn't diminish my point though.

Jan 2008 is when people started finding out: http://www.joystiq.com/2008/01/22/call-of-duty-4-tops-halo-3-in-xbox-live-activity/

"also cod wasn't even that big when cod 4 launched, it got bigger when people found out how good it was over time."

dangerguy said:

But you see, this is where other FPS' benefit. When CoD became huge so did other FPS's especially Battlefield. You look at previous Battlefield sales then look at Battlefield sales post MW1 and they jump huge amounts. CoD grew the FPS market, it didn't shrink it. More people buy FPS's now then they did 10 years ago. Halo has the benefit of having its own style but still fit with the casual crowd.

Halo will not be as dominant but that doesn't mean it won't maintain its sales. The FPS market is the biggest market in videogames and Halo is one of the biggest contenders in the industry and one of the biggest marketed FPS franchise of all time.

Seeing that a good majority of XBONE owners don't have the respect for OG FPS it might make it to 5 Mil and barely 7 Mil