By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 shipped 1.1m units over the holiday, 360 2.1m~ 360 LTD ahead of PS3, still in 2nd Place

kowenicki said:

that was easy, from 3m to 2.5m already.  keep going.

anyhow, first of all you are going to have explain and justify "overship"

go!

2.5m is the most optimistic guess for Xbone. It's probably closer to 3m.

Around the Network
Seece said:

So we've deduced that XB1 shipped around 4.5m units for 12m shipped over the holiday period (with 11m sell through).

This left 2.1m for the Xbox 360.

Which means it outsold PS3 over the holiday by a cool 1 million units.

Very different to what we've been showing.

Not 11 Million sell through

We know Microsoft stuffed retailers with Shippments worth a quarter from checked Gaf Members.
They sold it maybe to reatailers but not to customers(which is the only important thing) - X1 isn't at 11 Million sold to customers.
X360 got shipped to somewhere,probably africa so no one can track them, in masses while PS3 got shipped in decent amounts to let people be able to buy it so again to raise sold to customer numbers.
Xbots are so horny for shippment numbers LOL

kowenicki said:
AlexJones said:
kowenicki said:

that was easy, from 3m to 2.5m already.  keep going.

anyhow, first of all you are going to have explain and justify "overship"

go!

2.5m is the most optimistic guess for Xbone. It's probably closer to 3m.

so the stores sat on a couple of million consoles... ordered even more last quarter?

of course they did.

logistics... dont look for a career in it will you.

Checked GAF Members working in retail say otherwise and they are probably more trustworthy than you LOL

kowenicki said:

so the stores sat on a couple of million consoles... ordered even more last quarter?

of course they did.

Normally, stores will wait for stocks to deplete before asking for more, but the console sales aren't like others.

Due to the  deals that MS was doing for new bundles during the holidays and most of the year, stores were expecting new Xbone bundles to fly off the shelves. They already knew the old SKUs wouldn't sell anything so they sent these units back to MS to sit in warehouses and ordered the new Xbone bundles.

So yes, alexajones, console sales (At least for the Xbone) do "accumulate like that".

fps_d0minat0r said:

Youre right, but no-one 'at that time' expected it was going to be $599 and release a year after the 360.

It did keep its momentum despite that and was able to beat the 360 overall, and on average sales per year.

I bet if MS or Nintendo released a console more expensive than Sony in the same generation they wouldnt be able to come close to PS' sales.... oh wait, we can already see that this gen. Hence the momentum was there and making people pay for the more expensive console.

Um, I am talking about well after the release date and price was revealed and right up until release. Sony believed it too, otherwise they'd have launched things differently.

It didn't beat the 360 overall, hence this thread :) It has per year, which again makes the head start less relevant. It just needs a little more time to pass the 360.

Just making my case for me with the last bit as well. The market power and momentum of Playstation made the 360 head start irrelevant.

Around the Network
AlexJones said:
kowenicki said:

of course they did.

Normally, stores will wait for stocks to deplete before asking for more, but the console sales aren't like others.

Due to the  deals that MS was doing for new bundles during the holidays and most of the year, stores were expecting new Xbone bundles to fly off the shelves. They already knew the old SKUs wouldn't sell anything so they sent these units back to MS to sit in warehouses and ordered the new Xbone bundles.

So yes, alexajones, console sales do "accumulate like that".

It doesn't work that way, though. And stores cannot just "send stock back" of most video game merchandise. If consoles are going to "fly off the shelf" then stores want all they can have of it, even the regular SKU. Especially during the holidays.

And on the flip side, why would MS just accept these supposed truckload after truckload of old stock so stores could sell a different one? They would have them sell what they had first. I've spent over almost two decades in retail managing electronics for Walmart, BB, and Target. What you're saying is quite simply a load of crap. It's virtually impossible to send back even over stocked software, let alone millions of consoles LOL.

LudicrousSpeed said:
AlexJones said:

So yes, alexajones, console sales do "accumulate like that".

It doesn't work that way, though. And stores cannot just "send stock back" of most video game merchandise. If consoles are going to "fly off the shelf" then stores want all they can have of it, even the regular SKU. Especially during the holidays.

And on the flip side, why would MS just accept these supposed truckload after truckload of old stock so stores could sell a different one? They would have them sell what they had first. I've spent over almost two decades in retail managing electronics for Walmart, BB, and Target. What you're saying is quite simply a load of crap. It's virtually impossible to send back even over stocked software, let alone millions of consoles LOL.

Because if they didn't, stores wouldn't have any shelf space for the new SKUs and would need to sell the old SKUs, which there aren't any deals for. That would mean Xbone sales would continue getting crushed by PS4 sales, and MS doesn't want a PS2-generation-like outcome.

AlexJones said:

Because if they didn't, stores wouldn't have any shelf space for the new SKUs, which there aren't any deals for.

Yes they would, it's the holidays. The consoles sell regardless.

A $349 old SKU might not be as enticing as a $349 Ass Creed SKU sitting right next to it, but if its all a store has and someone wants to buy an Xbone for Christmas, it's going to sell.

And even if that retort made any sense, MS is still not going to take the excess stock back. The retailer will just have to make room for it elsewhere. Furthermore why would the stores buy up so much stock of an old SKU not selling much, anyway? Your theory makes no sense, not going to bother responding to it any more.

For what it's worth, when I was at my local Best Buy this weekend (Columbia, MO), I saw the supply of consoles they had sitting on top of the shelves in the corner of the gaming section. PS4 had about 20 in stock while XB1 easily had over 100 sitting up there. MS may have shipped a ton over the holidays, but if other stores are like mine, then they didn't come close to selling all of them.

colafitte said:
Well, if PS4 had around 1'5 mill on shelves, that probably means XBO could be around 1'5-2 mill on shelves too. This means XBO probably shipped more than 12 mill, so around 12'5-13 for the year (around 11m sold). So probably from the 6'6 mill XB shipped last quarter XBO could probably be around 5-5'5 mill, leaving X360 around 1'5-1 mill shipped. This would mean that XBO was very close to PS4 in shipments numbers (6'4m vs 5-5'5m) and PS3 and X360 were probably tied.

We don't know the real numbers for XBO or X360 but this show we can't still say as FACTS how much X360 shipped.

If you ask me, PS3 probably shipped more than X360 for the whole year and barely was outshipped in the last quarter, so it could be very reasonable to think that if PS3 surpassed X360 months ago, even with last quarter numbers, that would mean PS3 is still over X360.

So to prove my point, we still don't have facts and everybody can still make assumptions of the numbers....

So retailers would order so much more than they sell of the X1 compared to PS4, despite the PS4 selling at close twice the rate? Yeah, that sounds reasonable...