By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 shipped 1.1m units over the holiday, 360 2.1m~ 360 LTD ahead of PS3, still in 2nd Place

The Xbox 360 should have beaten everything. Microsoft has deep pockets. Sony doesn't.

Around the Network
Chazore said:
Angelv577 said:

To be fair, both started with a PR disaster so basically its amazing for both.

Sony had just a bad of a PR disaster back then?, was it the "get a second job to buy the PS3" quote back then per chance that people seemingly decided to forget on purpose?.

Tbh I still see with the numbers that 360 did better, it's great for them after overcoming the RROD and Kinect itself.

Seems a bit odd that 360 can't single handedly win though, it's either got to be neck and neck 50/50 with Sony or Sony wins, the numbers are telling differently though.

With an extra year of sales, you'd expect a much bigger gap, but (if true) a win is a win.

LivingMetal said:
The Xbox 360 should have beaten everything. Microsoft has deep pockets. Sony doesn't.

How does deep pockets help?

walsufnir said:
LivingMetal said:

How does deep pockets help?

I've wondered why some of the staunch Xbox supporters thought so, too. 

Well, if PS4 had around 1'5 mill on shelves, that probably means XBO could be around 1'5-2 mill on shelves too. This means XBO probably shipped more than 12 mill, so around 12'5-13 for the year (around 11m sold). So probably from the 6'6 mill XB shipped last quarter XBO could probably be around 5-5'5 mill, leaving X360 around 1'5-1 mill shipped. This would mean that XBO was very close to PS4 in shipments numbers (6'4m vs 5-5'5m) and PS3 and X360 were probably tied.

We don't know the real numbers for XBO or X360 but this show we can't still say as FACTS how much X360 shipped.

If you ask me, PS3 probably shipped more than X360 for the whole year and barely was outshipped in the last quarter, so it could be very reasonable to think that if PS3 surpassed X360 months ago, even with last quarter numbers, that would mean PS3 is still over X360.

So to prove my point, we still don't have facts and everybody can still make assumptions of the numbers....

Around the Network
colafitte said:
Well, if PS4 had around 1'5 mill on shelves, that probably means XBO could be around 1'5-2 mill on shelves too. This means XBO probably shipped more than 12 mill, so around 12'5-13 for the year (around 11m sold). So probably from the 6'6 mill XB shipped last quarter XBO could probably be around 5-5'5 mill, leaving X360 around 1'5-1 mill shipped. This would mean that XBO was very close to PS4 in shipments numbers (6'4m vs 5-5'5m) and PS3 and X360 were probably tied.

We don't know the real numbers for XBO or X360 but this show we can't still say as FACTS how much X360 shipped.

If you ask me, PS3 probably shipped more than X360 for the whole year and barely was outshipped in the last quarter, so it could be very reasonable to think that if PS3 surpassed X360 months ago, even with last quarter numbers, that would mean PS3 is still over X360.

So to prove my point, we still don't have facts and everybody can still make assumptions of the numbers....

Incorrect. The PS4 started FY 2014 with NO units on shelves; yet, they still ended up with 1.5m on shelves.

The Xbone already started off FY 2014 with 1m units on shelves. You also have to consider the fact that MS overshipped like crazy last FY, so they probably have 3m units on shelves.

Yeah pretty sure xbox360 is still sitting at NO.2 for gen7.

AlexJones said:
colafitte said:

Incorrect. The PS4 started FY 2014 with NO units on shelves; yet, they still ended up with 1.5m on shelves.

The Xbone already started off FY 2014 with 1m units on shelves. You also have to consider the fact that MS overshipped like crazy last FY, so they probably have 3m units on shelves.

Where did you get PS4 started FY2014 (wrong by the way because FY is from March to March) with NO units on shelves??? I'm missing a joke here or what?

This shipment numbers are for the same period of time (or very similar) as the 18'5 mill sold, said by Sony....

And 3mill XBO on shelves is TOO MUCH in my opinion. 2 mill is more a possiblity and is still a huge number. And please, don't say FACT if you can prove MS "overshipped like crazy", because you can't.

colafitte said:
AlexJones said:

Where did you get PS4 started FY2014 (wrong by the way because FY is from March to March) with NO units on shelves??? I'm missing a joke here or what?

This shipment numbers are for the same period of time (or very similar) as the 18'5 mill sold, said by Sony....

And 3mill XBO on shelves is TOO MUCH in my opinion. 2 mill is more a possiblity and is still a huge number. And please, don't say FACT if you can prove MS "overshipped like crazy", because you can't.

Because it was near impossible to buy a new PS4 last January, meaning sold-through = shipped for PS4.

LivingMetal said:

wait, what?