By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 shipped 1.1m units over the holiday, 360 2.1m~ 360 LTD ahead of PS3, still in 2nd Place

Puppyroach said:
colafitte said:
Well, if PS4 had around 1'5 mill on shelves, that probably means XBO could be around 1'5-2 mill on shelves too. This means XBO probably shipped more than 12 mill, so around 12'5-13 for the year (around 11m sold). So probably from the 6'6 mill XB shipped last quarter XBO could probably be around 5-5'5 mill, leaving X360 around 1'5-1 mill shipped. This would mean that XBO was very close to PS4 in shipments numbers (6'4m vs 5-5'5m) and PS3 and X360 were probably tied.

We don't know the real numbers for XBO or X360 but this show we can't still say as FACTS how much X360 shipped.

If you ask me, PS3 probably shipped more than X360 for the whole year and barely was outshipped in the last quarter, so it could be very reasonable to think that if PS3 surpassed X360 months ago, even with last quarter numbers, that would mean PS3 is still over X360.

So to prove my point, we still don't have facts and everybody can still make assumptions of the numbers....

So retailers would order so much more than they sell of the X1 compared to PS4, despite the PS4 selling at close twice the rate? Yeah, that sounds reasonable...

I don't see your point....

I said that XBO almost shipped the same as PS4 last quarter..., so why XBO won't have the same number of units on shelves as PS4???. 

Last year, XBO shipped 3'8 mill and sold 3'0 mill, so that's 0'8 mill on shelves from 3'8 mill in a launch console where normally shortages happens...So why wouldn't be around 1'5 mill on shelves from around 5'5 mill shipped like PS4???

It sounds very reasonable for me.

Around the Network

Maybe MS is planning to stop producing the 360.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

colafitte said:
Puppyroach said:

So retailers would order so much more than they sell of the X1 compared to PS4, despite the PS4 selling at close twice the rate? Yeah, that sounds reasonable...

I said that XBO almost shipped the same as PS4 last quarter..., so why XBO won't have the same number of units on shelves as PS4???. 

Last year, XBO shipped 3'8 mill and sold 3'0 mill, so that's 0'8 mill on shelves from 3'8 mill in a launch console where normally shortages happens...So why wouldn't be around 1'5 mill on shelves from around 5'5 mill shipped like PS4???

I don't think it's at all unreasonable that there are millions of X1s on shelves; if the sold through numbers were as good as PS4's, MS probably wouldn't be so keenly focusing on shipped (not sold) numbers. What I think is unreasonable is that retailers would just interminably purchase X1 stock, if it wasn't selling or expected to sell. In the case of the latter, the inventory stock could be extremely high and not all that far afield from what I've seen at my retailers. You bring up an excellent point about the comparable X1/PS4 shipped numbers (unfortunately with no X1/X360 breakdown...): with sales being so close over the holiday, the PS4 selling so much better all year, and the 0.8M X1s already on shelves, why wouldn't the X1 inventory be the same or (more likely) greater than the PS4?

Insidb said:
colafitte said:

I don't think it's at all unreasonable that there are millions of X1s on shelves; if the sold through numbers were as good as PS4's, MS probably wouldn't be so keenly focusing on shipped (not sold) numbers. What I think is unreasonable is that retailers would just interminably purchase X1 stock, if it wasn't selling or expected to sell. In the case of the latter, the inventory stock could be extremely high and not all that far afield from what I've seen at my retailers. You bring up an excellent point about the comparable X1/PS4 shipped numbers (unfortunately with no X1/X360 breakdown...): with sales being so close over the holiday, the PS4 selling so much better all year, and the 0.8M X1s already on shelves, why wouldn't the X1 inventory be the same or (more likely) greater than the PS4?

Well, what I think is Microsoft still has the main support from retailers and gaming publishers (just see Activision with Call of Duty AW, Ubisoft with AC Unity and EA with FIFA 15) in USA and UK. They trusted Microsoft will deliver in the holiday season (with bundles and official price-cuts) and in fact they did.

That's why, in my opinion, retailers purchased so much XBO stock, like PS4 levels. They betted XBO would outsell PS4 in USA...So considering this, that's why a similar number to PS4 of units on shelves at the end of the year is reasonable, because the number of units on shelves probably come from the units produced for the last quarter shipments.

colafitte said:
Insidb said:

Well, what I think is Microsoft still has the main support from retailers and gaming publishers (just see Activision with Call of Duty AW, Ubisoft with AC Unity and EA with FIFA 15) in USA and UK. They trusted Microsoft will deliver in the holiday season (with bundles and official price-cuts) and in fact they did.

That's why, in my opinion, retailers purchased so much XBO stock, like PS4 levels. They betted XBO would outsell PS4 in USA...So considering this, that's why a similar number to PS4 of units on shelves at the end of the year is reasonable, because the number of units on shelves probably come from the units produced for the last quarter shipments.

Makes sense to me.

Around the Network

I wonder where the adjustments will be made

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

walsufnir said:
AEGRO said:
So it is basically a tie between the two. Pretty amazing considering the fact that the 360 came out a year ahead. Congrats to Sony and the Ps3.

Amazing 360 couldn't been overtaken although it started with a PR disaster, better known as RROD.

If it wasnt for the RROD you wouldnt be here bragging about the Xbox 360 sales. In the end, it wasnt a disaster after all: people kept buying the console on the US and/or UK, if you still had the warranty cool, if you hadnt what were you going to do besides buying another one (like i did). There were reports of people on their third and fourth X360.

The RROD was a blessing on disguise. 

Chazore said:
Angelv577 said:

To be fair, both started with a PR disaster so basically its amazing for both.

Sony had just a bad of a PR disaster back then?, was it the "get a second job to buy the PS3" quote back then per chance that people seemingly decided to forget on purpose?.

Tbh I still see with the numbers that 360 did better, it's great for them after overcoming the RROD and Kinect itself.

Seems a bit odd that 360 can't single handedly win though, it's either got to be neck and neck 50/50 with Sony or Sony wins, the numbers are telling differently though.

Well, sony arrogance along with the initial launch price were supposed to be a recipe for disaster, add to that that the console launched 1 year later(1 year and half in Europe) and it still manage to sell over 80m console.  With that kind of mistakes it just unbelievable how it survived that I'm sure no other console would have been able to achieve that.  I'm sure that if ps3 was launched at the same price with 360, other story would have happened.  That been said, I also see that 360 did better overall but I also see that MS took advantage of Sony mistakes, something that they don't have this gen.

The 7th Gen was unusual from all points of view. The Sony console didnt dominate the market, Nintendo console smashed the competition.

Now things returned to normal on this gen. Sony on top (like Ps1 and Ps2) and the others fighting each other for a second place.

And then you have Nintendo with their tendencies to sell less and less consoles with each generation.

LudicrousSpeed said:

1. One could just as easily argue that Playstation's momentum off of PS2 and brand power in general, more than made up for the year long headstart. No one thought the PS3 wouldn't outsell the 360 at the time. It was just a matter of when it would pass it on its way to another 100+ million selling Sony console.

2. Well the theory in this thread is that the 360 has sold more than the PS3. I can't think of a way for it to be possible for the 360 to sell more than the PS3 but not ship more, unless stores are just ordering millions of PS3's to clog their shelves.

3. Based on what?

Also LOL @ whoever said PS4 began the 2014 year with 0 units on shelves and it was impossible to find one. Uh... no.

1.) I am not speaking of expectations anyhow. Fact of the matter is that the PS3 had to catch up 10mio sales. And it didn't do that while the 360 was waiting on the PS3 to just do so. The 360 kept selling. And eventhough the 360 had an one year headstart/10mio units sold when the PS3 launched, and eventhough the 360 kept selling (quite logical) the PS3 was able to not just equalize it but furthermore outselling the 360 within their respective market presence every single year. In other words: If the PS3 wouldn't have outsold the 360 it wouldn't had been able to equalize its sales.

2 & 3) Naaah, you know what - the 360 had a one year headstart. I don't really care which company sold more in the end. But whenever you get a chance to headstart one year before your competition launches its console you should do better out of it. The 360 wasn't able to pull away. In the end - it's basically a tie between PS3 and 360. And it wouldn't have been a tie if the PS3 hadn't outsold the 360 cumulative. 

4.) I wonder if Microsoft would have been able to do so if the PS4 had been introduced one year earlier into the market. I dont' think so.