By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 shipped 1.1m units over the holiday, 360 2.1m~ 360 LTD ahead of PS3, still in 2nd Place

Well what do you know. Good for MS.

It's certainly obvious that the 360 is clearly the more active of the 2 consoles at the moment in the UK, but that was always the case.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

Around the Network

What about the millions of X360 dead and replaced because of RROD? Do those count as shipped like the rest?

I know the fat PS3 was much more reliable, even at launch. During the first two years X360 apparenlty had a ~24% failure rate compared to 10% for the PS3.

http://www.squaretrade.com/htm/pdf/SquareTrade_Xbox360_PS3_Wii_Reliability_0809.pdf

Because if that was the case, it would mean the Microsoft X360 shipped numbers would be overtracked compared to PS3 numbers (like the famous 80 millions shipped numbers).

EDIT: Just thought that maybe it's possible to repair a good deal of the RROD units?

Madword said:
DonFerrari said:
And I still think Sony lower shipments for this year and some reports of lack of PS3 in stock, plus the financial results showing small margin is reflect of Sony preparing to launch PS3 real slim and tackle the price down and give it a final sprint.

I had exactly the same thought that they might be doing a PS3 slim... it does make sense.

As I said some years ago we didn't got a PSThree as we had for PSOne and PSTwo (the true slim), so there is a chance that the PSThree is finaly coming, and as usual close to the release of the next gen.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
Madword said:

I had exactly the same thought that they might be doing a PS3 slim... it does make sense.

As I said some years ago we didn't got a PSThree as we had for PSOne and PSTwo (the true slim), so there is a chance that the PSThree is finaly coming, and as usual close to the release of the next gen.

Yeah it makes sense. Sony dont want to lose their margin, but by making a cheaper unit they can drop the price and still keep that profit margin. Considering the software market for PS3 will/has start dropping away (meaning profits will be lower), its important they dont just chase a "We've sold a little bit more than the competition"... it's a pointless battle at this point... no one cares. 

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

Madword said:
DonFerrari said:

Yeah it makes sense. Sony dont want to lose their margin, but by making a cheaper unit they can drop the price and still keep that profit margin. Considering the software market for PS3 will/has start dropping away (meaning profits will be lower), its important they dont just chase a "We've sold a little bit more than the competition"... it's a pointless battle at this point... no one cares. 

Yep there is no point in selling for loss at the moment... but I don't think sony was worried about selling more units than rival, just to have more customers out there

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

Hello, I'm from the future.
The year is 2015.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

And Wii is not being shipped anymore, but still 14 millions ahead of both...

Seriously, at this point both PS3 and 360 are successes, instead of arguing which one shipped more in their 8th year on the market, why not be glad for both?

I think the real issue is that there was never evidence that the PS3 passed the 360. The PS3 should never have been put ahead of the 360 and now at least twice evidence has come out that shows the 360 ahead of the PS3 and the site is having a hard time reversing the decision of putting the PS3 ahead.

Its libraries that sell systems not a single game.

thx1139 said:
I think the real issue is that there was never evidence that the PS3 passed the 360. The PS3 should never have been put ahead of the 360 and now at least twice evidence has come out that shows the 360 ahead of the PS3 and the site is having a hard time reversing the decision of putting the PS3 ahead.

I agree that we lack evidence in both cases.

I guess we'll just have to wait for the companies to announce when the first one hit 90 millions shipped. Maybe we'll be surprised, who knows?

PS3 is still outpacing the 360 though.

Can't wait for The Zelder Scrolls 3: Breath of The Wild Hunt!