By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Gamergate - what is it and as a gamer should I care?

As a gamer, should I care about gamergate?

Yes 34 24.11%

No 83 58.87%

Kinda 24 17.02%

Total:141

I personally don't give a rat's ass about Gamergate, and that probably won't change anytime soon!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Around the Network

There are more important issues to care about in the world right now.

ps4tw said:

Hah. Sounds like if people are worried about that, they need more difficult lives. Frankly I've never paid much attention to game reviews unless they mention technical problems. The reason is why should I care what some other guy thinks? If I like a game, I like it regardless of IGN etcs rating. 

Because like it or not, the gaming media has a lot of power, especially over smaller games. If the games media choose to ignore a game or give it negative coverage, it could have a massive impact on sales, and as such, any issue over ethics in journalism are just as much an issue with what games get made and who makes money on their games (and therefore, who gets the privilege of making more games). 

This extends to certain companies and events getting blacklisted, or games being neutered as to not offend in order to get covered. 

Whether or not you care about game journalism, massive ethical holes could still very much affect you. Whether or not these holes are as massive as some maintain is certainly up for debate, however, a lot of the conversations that actually surrounded ethics were quite productive and many sites took steps forward to welcome improvements in their ethical codes, such as disclosure policies.

RCTjunkie said:

Ah, the fallacy of relative privation...gotta love it

sundin13 said:
ps4tw said:

Hah. Sounds like if people are worried about that, they need more difficult lives. Frankly I've never paid much attention to game reviews unless they mention technical problems. The reason is why should I care what some other guy thinks? If I like a game, I like it regardless of IGN etcs rating. 

Because like it or not, the gaming media has a lot of power, especially over smaller games. If the games media choose to ignore a game or give it negative coverage, it could have a massive impact on sales, and as such, any issue over ethics in journalism are just as much an issue with what games get made and who makes money on their games (and therefore, who gets the privilege of making more games). 

This extends to certain companies and events getting blacklisted, or games being neutered as to not offend in order to get covered. 

Whether or not you care about game journalism, massive ethical holes could still very much affect you. Whether or not these holes are as massive as some maintain is certainly up for debate, however, a lot of the conversations that actually surrounded ethics were quite productive and many sites took steps forward to welcome improvements in their ethical codes, such as disclosure policies.

RCTjunkie said:

Ah, the fallacy of relative privation...gotta love it

True, but luckily I think this is where things such as crowd funded games remove the idiocy that can be found in AAA game publishing management. Most likely the devs and people making the game couldn't care less what a raving, albeit loud, minority thing, but it'll be management higher up the ladder, looking for some work to do who'll hop on that bandwagon so that they can feel like they are winning customers. Hopefully in the next few years we'll see the likes of Ubisoft and EA becoming less relevant, and games like Kerbal, Prison Architect and the monumental Star Citizen leading the way in terms of game management which should bypass any crazy going on. 

Gamergate will change nothing. Don't get involved.

Around the Network
badgenome said:

It's long and complicated because of a lot of pointless internet drama, but the basics go something like this:

A woman named Zoe Quinn develops a game called Depression Quest and got a lot of buzz on various game sites such as Kotaku. Her ex-boyfriend then writes a Tumblr claiming that she cheated on him with five guys from the industry (one of whom worked for Kotaku) and tried to gaslight him about it, which would kind of contradict her claims that she cared deeply about mental illness since he has a history of issues.

This leads to a lot of people calling Quinn a whore and making unsubstantiated claims that she slept around expressly for the purpose of getting coverage for her game. This in turn, along with the negative reception to Anita Sarkeesian's Tropes vs. Women, causes several game bloggers to write posts about how gaming isn't just for straight white males anymore and to make the hyperbolic claim that, "Gamers are dead." At this point the whole thing erupts, with one side forming up to protest misogyny in gaming while the other side protests nepotism and corruption in game "journalism", meaning that both sides just talk past and harass each other and never shut the fuck up about it.

No, it's best not to care.

/thread

badgenome said:

It's long and complicated because of a lot of pointless internet drama, but the basics go something like this:

A woman named Zoe Quinn develops a game called Depression Quest and got a lot of buzz on various game sites such as Kotaku. Her ex-boyfriend then writes a Tumblr claiming that she cheated on him with five guys from the industry (one of whom worked for Kotaku) and tried to gaslight him about it, which would kind of contradict her claims that she cared deeply about mental illness since he has a history of issues.

This leads to a lot of people calling Quinn a whore and making unsubstantiated claims that she slept around expressly for the purpose of getting coverage for her game. This in turn, along with the negative reception to Anita Sarkeesian's Tropes vs. Women, causes several game bloggers to write posts about how gaming isn't just for straight white males anymore and to make the hyperbolic claim that, "Gamers are dead." At this point the whole thing erupts, with one side forming up to protest misogyny in gaming while the other side protests nepotism and corruption in game "journalism", meaning that both sides just talk past and harass each other and never shut the fuck up about it.

No, it's best not to care.

Well said. But I must admit that if she could keep her (not so) funny faces to a reasonable minimum for a while, I could fuck Zoe Quinn anyway without regrets. 
Edit: If she really couldn't, I could solve the problem changing position.   

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

No care = no problem.
So don't.

RCTjunkie said:

*facepalm*

the fallacy of relative privation... such a poor argument.

Current Game Machines: 3DS, Wii U, PC.

Currently Playing: X-Com(PC), Smash Bros(WiiU), Banner Saga(PC), Guild Wars 2(PC), Project X Zone(3DS), Luigis Mansion 2(3DS), DayZ(PC)

what i want to know is why do all american scandal end in gate lol.