By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Pewdiepie Complains against Nintendo Youtube Policy

Ali_16x said:
sc94597 said:
Ali_16x said:
sc94597 said:

And the overwhelming majority don't do it as a business. They do it for fun. We are focusing on the subset of let's players who make it their main source of income. PewDiePie just so happens to be one of a small group of said let's players. 

For fun? What most gaming youtubers are trying to do is get big enough where Youtube is their source of income. I don't know any Youtubers that don't have any ads on their videos. Please show me "big" youtubers that don't have ads on their videos. This plan only affects people that make Youtube videos with Nintendo games and in which they get ad revenue. Lol, if you think a majority of gaming youtubers don't do this as buisness. 

I watch plenty of let's plays ,with under 10k views per video, that eventually cover the entire game. That would be measly dollars per year in profit for ad-revenue. So yes, a lot of people do it for fun. They like playing games and talking about them. Becoming popular enough on youtube to make a decent profit isn't any easier than becoming a real-life celebrity. The overwhelming majority of let's players don't have such delusions. 

Exactly, if they are only making a few dollars a year, WHY NOT JUST TURN OFF THE ADS? Because they are trying to become big, they are trying to make Youtube their job.

No, because they can get a few dollars while doing something they love. Their main goal was never to make money, but if they can make some money on the side, why not? 

Around the Network
Ali_16x said:
Redgrave said:

"If you say good things about Nintendo we will give you 100% of the ad revenue, wow."

https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/8437345024/h53E11E9B

Don't kid yourself, it's always about money with Youtubers.

I don't get it? Can you not read? He doesn't play Nintendo games so this plan doesn't effect him, he's just saying what he thinks about the plan. Now for other youtubers it is about the money because for some Youtubers it is their JOB. 

Also, I don't get what the picture has to do with what I said? He was playing a game and he enjoyed it. Was that wrong of him to enjoy playing a game? They took that quote out of him playing a game for the first time. I've seen 100s of videos of people playing games for the first time and say that they enjoyed it. It was his first impression of the game and he enjoyed it, ooooo.

It also seems like you don't understand what Nintendos plan says. There is an option available where you can get 100% of the revenue(of course youtube takes its cut first) but ONLY if Nintendo approves the video. So basically if you don't say good things about Nintendos videos then they will not extempt the video and you will not get the 100% revenue. So some people will only say good things about Nintendo videos so they get the 100%. 

Why so standoffish?

I posted that photo because Pewdiepie is a bought and paid for reviewer. Companies pay him to play their games and say good things about them, regardless of how terrible they may be. South Park: The Stick of Truth and Dying Light are just two examples. Techland (the game's developers) even sponsored his Dying Light videos.

And that's essentially the same thing as the new plan Nintendo are using.

DonFerrari said:
Ali_16x said:

Because Youtubers have stopped making Nintendo videos because they were getting $0 for their videos. Why the hell would they be making Nintendo videos if they weren't getting money? They started making non Nintendo gameplay videos. Youtube has become a source of income for these youtubers, are they trying to become homeless by making Nintendo videos?

So if there are 0 YTbers making Nintendo videos how does this policy affects them?

Please watch this video.

http://youtu.be/I5cEU51PbTw?t=3m59s

This new policy changes it from 0% to 42% but Youtubers are still finding this bullshit. 

"There is only one race, the pathetic begging race"

Ali_16x said:
sc94597 said:
Ali_16x said:

I watch plenty of let's plays ,with under 10k views per video, that eventually cover the entire game. That would be measly dollars per year in profit for ad-revenue. So yes, a lot of people do it for fun. They like playing games and talking about them. Becoming popular enough on youtube to make a decent profit isn't any easier than becoming a real-life celebrity. The overwhelming majority of let's players don't have such delusions. 

Exactly, if they are only making a few dollars a year, WHY NOT JUST TURN OFF THE ADS? Because they are trying to become big, they are trying to make Youtube their job.

I'm quite a fan of letting an audience choose your popularity by your charisma rather than the old way with corporations forcing you down peoples throats. This is exactly why artists are going independent these days. This is why Cable is losing popularity by the day. People want to make their own choices and Pewdiepie entertains a certain segement of world society through Youtube independent of any corporation but gets paid through ad revenue and thank goodness for Youtube that the opportunity for people who were held back by corporate politics to have their own outlet and ability to attain a fanbase. Hell...i'd do it myself, no apologies. Some people have draw power and if they can amass a crowd, then they deserve what they get. Pewdiepie made himself, and even though I am not a fan....I cannot hate on that either. If he was savy enough to make the type of money he has off of ad revenue and become the most powerful voice on Youtube, then more power to him. Few people can do what he has done. People hate Justin Beiber as well, but love him or hate him the people made him famous through youtube. He has a section of loyal fans just like Pewdiepie. 

MDMAlliance said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Reviews are arbitrary. It can effect the individuals choice when it comes to a sale no different that word of mouth (which is free advertising in itself). People watch reviewers because they trust or are entertained by their viewpoint and thus take into consideration what they say when they make decisions. This is the same for wine conisseurs or movie critics. 

Reviews, previews, lets plays...its all exposure for products dude. If companies deny this they are missing something. You think they were is not area of effect, you give little credit to the booming new media source that is Youtube. Youtube has made stars in music, dance, videogames, etc and more.

Hell pro gamer Swoozie was even given free copies of DOA to give to his Youtube following since he's so popular by tecmo last gen. There is an effect. 

I know the definition and the definition you gave in bold is exactly what Youtubers are doing.

Except it's not advertisement because reviews are done with the premise of checking whether or not it should be bought.  Advertisement is solely done for the case of selling the product.  An advertisement for a product would not, in any way, turn potential buyers away from the product.  Youtubers are NOT reviewing a game to make people buy the game, that's not their intention.  Youtubers also do NOT do Let's Plays in order to get people to buy the game, though some of them may tell you at the end of their video to try it out (in that case, what the YouTuber says at the end is advertisement), but the Let's Play itself was not advertisement.  Also, pewdiepie doesn't refer to it as "free advertisement."  He specifically says "free exposure and publicity" because he knows it ISN'T advertisement. 

Then lets just do it your way and call it free publicity. The argument still continues regardless, just a different wording.

Around the Network

Why would nintendo initially say they were going to block all content and then all but take profits?

Ali_16x said:
DonFerrari said:

So if there are 0 YTbers making Nintendo videos how does this policy affects them?

Please watch this video.

http://youtu.be/I5cEU51PbTw?t=3m59s

This new policy changes it from 0% to 42% but Youtubers are still finding this bullshit. 

So this guy said nothing when there was 0% profit but now is complaying when Nintendo will get 40%??? Seems quite strange.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Okay so here is the thing. It doesn't really matter if Nintendo is fine with it. At the end of the day you can feel that it's stupid, but they have the right to claim let's play videos.

So if that means that people will lean more toward doing other games so be it. Legally this seems to be cut and dry though.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
MDMAlliance said:

Except it's not advertisement because reviews are done with the premise of checking whether or not it should be bought.  Advertisement is solely done for the case of selling the product.  An advertisement for a product would not, in any way, turn potential buyers away from the product.  Youtubers are NOT reviewing a game to make people buy the game, that's not their intention.  Youtubers also do NOT do Let's Plays in order to get people to buy the game, though some of them may tell you at the end of their video to try it out (in that case, what the YouTuber says at the end is advertisement), but the Let's Play itself was not advertisement.  Also, pewdiepie doesn't refer to it as "free advertisement."  He specifically says "free exposure and publicity" because he knows it ISN'T advertisement. 

Then lets just do it your way and call it free publicity. The argument still continues regardless, just a different wording.

I don't like people calling it "free advertising" because the word "advertising" itself has a connotation to it.  When people call it that, it makes it look like it can only be good for the company. Because it's "Free" and it's "advertising," there is no reason it should be blocked.  That's not the reality of the situation, so "free exposure and publicity" is a lot more accurate.  It can be good, it can be bad.  It also can mean that the company doesn't WANT that kind of exposure or publicity.  Then things make more sense.  

As for the program Nintendo is running, if it stays the way it does, I imagine more YouTubers will be dissatisfied and as a result, the benefits of having game content on YouTube will diminish (for Nintendo).

Redgrave said:
Ali_16x said:

I don't get it? Can you not read? He doesn't play Nintendo games so this plan doesn't effect him, he's just saying what he thinks about the plan. Now for other youtubers it is about the money because for some Youtubers it is their JOB. 

Also, I don't get what the picture has to do with what I said? He was playing a game and he enjoyed it. Was that wrong of him to enjoy playing a game? They took that quote out of him playing a game for the first time. I've seen 100s of videos of people playing games for the first time and say that they enjoyed it. It was his first impression of the game and he enjoyed it, ooooo.

It also seems like you don't understand what Nintendos plan says. There is an option available where you can get 100% of the revenue(of course youtube takes its cut first) but ONLY if Nintendo approves the video. So basically if you don't say good things about Nintendos videos then they will not extempt the video and you will not get the 100% revenue. So some people will only say good things about Nintendo videos so they get the 100%. 

Why so standoffish?

I posted that photo because Pewdiepie is a bought and paid for reviewer. Companies pay him to play their games and say good things about them, regardless of how terrible they may be. South Park: The Stick of Truth and Dying Light are just two examples. Techland (the game's developers) even sponsored his Dying Light videos.

And that's essentially the same thing as the new plan Nintendo are using.

Wow, are you being serious? That comment just gave me cancer.

Techland/Warner Bros. sent out Dying Light to Youtubers to play their game. It wasn't just Pewdiepie, they sent the video too tons of Youtubers. Youtubers get money from the ad revenue from the video and the publishers get advertisement. It is a win-win situation for both parties. He also doesn't review games, he just plays them. South Park was terrible? Oh right games getting 80+ on metacritic is now terrible. He played the whole game beause he actually enjoyed it. They gave him early access, he promoted his channel and they got advertisement.  

It's the same thing NIntendo is doing? My god, they aren't even close to being the same. Do you even know what the policy change is? You are so uninformed about this policy you really have no idea what you are talking about.

Moderated,

-Mr Khan

"There is only one race, the pathetic begging race"