By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Pewdiepie Complains against Nintendo Youtube Policy

Ali_16x said:
sc94597 said:

And the overwhelming majority don't do it as a business. They do it for fun. We are focusing on the subset of let's players who make it their main source of income. PewDiePie just so happens to be one of a small group of said let's players. 

For fun? What most gaming youtubers are trying to do is get big enough where Youtube is their source of income. I don't know any Youtubers that don't have any ads on their videos. Please show me "big" youtubers that don't have ads on their videos. This plan only affects people that make Youtube videos with Nintendo games and in which they get ad revenue. Lol, if you think a majority of gaming youtubers don't do this as buisness. 

I watch plenty of let's plays ,with under 10k views per video, that eventually cover the entire game. That would be measly dollars per year in profit for ad-revenue. So yes, a lot of people do it for fun. They like playing games and talking about them. Becoming popular enough on youtube to make a decent profit isn't any easier than becoming a real-life celebrity. The overwhelming majority of let's players don't have such delusions. 

Around the Network

Generation of kids that grew up on streaming. Thinking streaming isnt integral To sales. Im 31 and i can see why kids like apple jacks.

sc94597 said:
Talal said:

Minecraft, Flappy bird, Slender, Happy Wheels and many other games became huge because of youtube. And no one is saying that youtube advertisement is better than conventional advertisement or that it works the same way everytime, by the way. Sometimes the advertisements helps a lot, sometimes it doesn't help much or at all just like all advertisements.

Minecraft, and Flappy Bird were popular before/regardless of YouTube. Slender was a free to play game. I've never heard of Happy Wheels. Looks like a browser based game? 

If you deny the influence Youtube had over Minecraft then I really don't know what to say. Flappy Bird sure it's mostly attributed to social media in general not Youtube specifically. The other 2 still hold true even if they're free.  Five Nights at Freddies is a recent phenomenon. Also DayZ http://www.tubefilter.com/2015/01/09/dayz-three-million-sales-youtube-twitch/ .

theprof00 said:
@Ferrari
because ps4 and xb1 lets plays are as easy as pressing the share button.
both systems are fully pushing streaming and sharing and lets plays. Nintendo hoe the opposite direction.
sales are coincidental?

Yet Sony SW haven't flought out of the charts with YTbers advertising them... After very good 1st weeks (that can't be in anyway attributed to those guys) it gets very step descent, with hardly any help from theses guys... yet Nintendo have godly legs without the help of these same guys (and had it last gen as well).

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

sc94597 said:
Ali_16x said:
sc94597 said:

And the overwhelming majority don't do it as a business. They do it for fun. We are focusing on the subset of let's players who make it their main source of income. PewDiePie just so happens to be one of a small group of said let's players. 

For fun? What most gaming youtubers are trying to do is get big enough where Youtube is their source of income. I don't know any Youtubers that don't have any ads on their videos. Please show me "big" youtubers that don't have ads on their videos. This plan only affects people that make Youtube videos with Nintendo games and in which they get ad revenue. Lol, if you think a majority of gaming youtubers don't do this as buisness. 

I watch plenty of let's plays ,with under 10k views per video, that eventually cover the entire game. That would be measly dollars per year in profit for ad-revenue. So yes, a lot of people do it for fun. They like playing games and talking about them. Becoming popular enough on youtube to make a decent profit isn't any easier than becoming a real-life celebrity. The overwhelming majority of let's players don't have such delusions. 

Exactly, if they are only making a few dollars a year, WHY NOT JUST TURN OFF THE ADS? Because they are trying to become big, they are trying to make Youtube their job.

"There is only one race, the pathetic begging race"

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:
DonFerrari said:
How have this thread become a Nintendo hate thing???

And If Let's play is so good as advertisement, how come that there being several LP based solely in Nintendo haven't proped their sales even though their 1st party sells very good?

Nintendo is out of touch. Even Micorosft and Sony are starting to understand that they need to keep gamers connected to Youtube and websites sporting Gametrailers, IGN. The Xbox even has an app for Smosh and smosh uses clips from Microsoft all the time. 

Sony and MS allows you to easily upload their games and that is directly linked to let's play because??? Twitch would be much more applicable in this.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

Ali_16x said:
DonFerrari said:
How have this thread become a Nintendo hate thing???

And If Let's play is so good as advertisement, how come that there being several LP based solely in Nintendo haven't proped their sales even though their 1st party sells very good?

Because Youtubers have stopped making Nintendo videos because they were getting $0 for their videos. Why the hell would they be making Nintendo videos if they weren't getting money? They started making non Nintendo gameplay videos. Youtube has become a source of income for these youtubers, are they trying to become homeless by making Nintendo videos?

So if there are 0 YTbers making Nintendo videos how does this policy affects them?

theprof00 said:
@sc
I used to paint warhammer figures.
it was a hobby, not a profession.
if it it came to the chance, I would have accepted that profession.
I still made profit on them.
And if games workshop had called me and said they wanted Hal my profits, I would have simply switched to a different model series because there are plenty of them.

Sure let's say I started a let's play for metroid and zelda games because they're my favorite series and I like to play them. I netted about 100,000 views (the highest view count I got on youtube was 20,000 for pvp of  a game called Allods Online I played.) And let's say I calculate that with ad-revenue I can get 50/month (after Youtube takes its share.) And Nintendo says, give me 40% of that. I'm not going to stop making my let's plays and start making other let's plays because Nintendo wants $20 out of the $50 I make per month. I am not even guaranteed that those other let's plays will get the same viewcounts, netting me $50/ month. 

He not played many Nintendo games because he got easy flagged by them like other youtubers also have complained about. Pewdiepie is so popular that EA had to print more copies of Skate 3 because viewers wanted the game after he did some let's play....

Whoever is right is not that important though, at the end it hurts Nintendo.

S.T.A.G.E. said:

Reviews are arbitrary. It can effect the individuals choice when it comes to a sale no different that word of mouth (which is free advertising in itself). People watch reviewers because they trust or are entertained by their viewpoint and thus take into consideration what they say when they make decisions. This is the same for wine conisseurs or movie critics. 

Reviews, previews, lets plays...its all exposure for products dude. If companies deny this they are missing something. You think they were is not area of effect, you give little credit to the booming new media source that is Youtube. Youtube has made stars in music, dance, videogames, etc and more.

Hell pro gamer Swoozie was even given free copies of DOA to give to his Youtube following since he's so popular by tecmo last gen. There is an effect. 

I know the definition and the definition you gave in bold is exactly what Youtubers are doing.

Except it's not advertisement because reviews are done with the premise of checking whether or not it should be bought.  Advertisement is solely done for the case of selling the product.  An advertisement for a product would not, in any way, turn potential buyers away from the product.  Youtubers are NOT reviewing a game to make people buy the game, that's not their intention.  Youtubers also do NOT do Let's Plays in order to get people to buy the game, though some of them may tell you at the end of their video to try it out (in that case, what the YouTuber says at the end is advertisement), but the Let's Play itself was not advertisement.  Also, pewdiepie doesn't refer to it as "free advertisement."  He specifically says "free exposure and publicity" because he knows it ISN'T advertisement.