By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - When will we see an actual new IP made by MS?

When?!?!

Before E3 11 4.10%

@ E3 82 30.60%

After E3 12 4.48%

Never, enjoy HaloforzaGea... 163 60.82%

Total:268
JayWood2010 said:
Quantum Break and Scalebound. Both are MSFT owned IP and has Microsoft Studios working on them

MS own the IP but isn't most if not all the gameplay being done by Remedy/Platinum?

I'm sure there's MS people to test the game and whatnot because of deals and they're doing the TV show thing for QB. Anyways these game look awesome and all (really looking forward to QB) but I really want to see a MS studio reveal a new IP (should happen very soon).

Around the Network
iceland said:
JayWood2010 said:

Microsoft owns it and works on them.  Though majority of the developement is done by Remedy/Platinum yes.

If youre talking about a First Party Studio working on a new ip then id look towards Rare

From a corporate philosophy perspective, I don't think this is all that important to MS. This is the company that created the Windows OS and the Surface Pro and appears more than content to be the platform that everyone develops for, not necessarily develop for themselves. Consequently, acquiring the right developers to exclusively develop for them makes perfect sense, as it has certainly worked for their other platforms.

They've never actually had an inhouse first party developer make a huge franchise for them. Its always another developer that makes a game then they buy them up if it does well. This dates back to the original Halo

SjOne said:
They've never actually had an inhouse first party developer make a huge franchise for them. Its always another developer that makes a game then they buy them up if it does well. This dates back to the original Halo

Turn 10 say you're wrong.

Around the Network
iceland said:
JayWood2010 said:
Quantum Break and Scalebound. Both are MSFT owned IP and has Microsoft Studios working on them

MS own the IP but isn't most if not all the gameplay being done by Remedy/Platinum?

I'm sure there's MS people to test the game and whatnot because of deals and they're doing the TV show thing for QB. Anyways these game look awesome and all (really looking forward to QB) but I really want to see a MS studio reveal a new IP (should happen very soon).

I heard the creative director of Microsoft Studios is working closely with Platinum to develop the story of the game so it's not purely just testing.

I don't know if this is a joke thread or not, but I was thinking about this recently and how few new IP's the big three companies have released so far in the new console cycle. The console launches are typically loaded with new IP's from them but this gen it was almost entirely third party.

Microsoft - Idk of any retail new IP's internally developed. Instead they did lots of downloadable stuff, and second part/third party deals. Titanfall, Dead Rising 3, Ryse, Killer Instinct, Dance Central, Sunset, etc. They have more of these types of deals coming like Tomb Raider, Scalebound, etc.

Sony - Two so far I think? Knack and Driveclub. They too have lots of second/third party deals. Multiple Housemarque games, Rime, EGTR, etc. Mostly PSN titles. They also have some big retail type second/third party stuff coming like The Order, Bloodborne, and Until Dawn, but nothing internally developed.

Nintendo - They are even further into the generation than the other two and do they have a single new IP internally developed? I guess Captain Toad maybe? They too have lots of second/third party type deals, particularly with some of its best games like Bayonetta 2 and Wonderful 101.

Maybe we've reached the point where development is so expensive and risky that publishers are finding it cheaper to outsource the titles. Or maybe MicroSony has just a shit load of big games in the works from their main studios. Nintendo of course just steadily pumps out quality Nintendo titles, take them or leave them.

Third party studios fortunately are picking up most of the slack. Titanfall is a new IP and is amazing. Evolve looks great. Watch Dogs fucking blows but hey they tried? Destiny might eventually turn into a decent loot shooter if you buy enough DLC. The Crew might not be amazing but hats off to them for trying something relatively new on consoles. Mordor took an existing license and placed it into a nice sandbox full of elements from popular titles. I'm probably forgetting some good ones.

I'm guessing that people are forgetting that Ori and the Blind Forest is a new MS IP and it will come out on Mach 11th.

I dont understand the scrutiny. Last year, i'm pretty sure Xbox owners would have had the most satisfaction out of their games. Great new offerings across the board.

Chris Hu said:
I'm guessing that people are forgetting that Ori and the Blind Forest is a new MS IP and it will come out on Mach 11th.

Moon Studios is an independent studio. Game looks awesome though.