By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - When will we see an actual new IP made by MS?

When?!?!

Before E3 11 4.10%

@ E3 82 30.60%

After E3 12 4.48%

Never, enjoy HaloforzaGea... 163 60.82%

Total:268

What about ScreamRide?

Around the Network
PotentHerbs said:
What about ScreamRide?

Made by Frontier, a non-MS studio.

Insidb said:
From a corporate philosophy perspective, I don't think this is all that important to MS. This is the company that created the Windows OS and the Surface Pro and appears more than content to be the platform that everyone develops for, not necessarily develop for themselves. Consequently, acquiring the right developers to exclusively develop for them makes perfect sense, as it has certainly worked for their other platforms.

Your comment starts with windows and surface, which just reminds me that MS never innovates and instead invest in marketing, turning others people work into their success (which includes developping a platform people develop for instead of them).

They don't need new IP. Or they'll aquire the studio that has a nice new IP in development anyway. I should really consider investing in MS stock.

Slade6alpha said:
Wow I just realized something, we getting a Fable Fable Legends, Gears, Forza, and Halo most likely all in this same year....

It might aswell be a new franchise with what they've done. I predict a flop. Fable 4 would have been much appreciated

RenCutypoison said:
Insidb said:
From a corporate philosophy perspective, I don't think this is all that important to MS. This is the company that created the Windows OS and the Surface Pro and appears more than content to be the platform that everyone develops for, not necessarily develop for themselves. Consequently, acquiring the right developers to exclusively develop for them makes perfect sense, as it has certainly worked for their other platforms.

Your comment starts with windows and surface, which just reminds me that MS never innovates and instead invest in marketing, turning others people work into their success (which includes developping a platform people develop for instead of them).

They don't need new IP. Or they'll aquire the studio that has a nice new IP in development anyway. I should really consider investing in MS stock.

MS is always a good bet, because mega corporations have the capital to acquire competition to ensure/grow revenue streams. If they abandoned the XBox platform (or better yet sold it), their market cap would probably go up. They don't even need it, which allows them to leverage the brand for long term strategies or do whatever they really want with it. Open platforms are the future, so their corporate strategy is on point. They're losing the console war to the PS4, and Sony is winning is by being the platform of choice for 3rd party software, not 1st party exclusives. 

Go buy those MS shares, just stay away from Shake Shack lol.

Around the Network
Cloudman said:
Maybe they`ll make one eventually, but usually they rely on 3rd parties and their usual 1st parties. MS is not really the one to experiment with new ideas.

Microsoft has been trying, but they just arent that great at it. Maybe they need more time. I dunno.....what to say anymore.

Goatseye said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Its common knowledge now (and almost painfully so more recently) that Black Tusk's new IP was scrapped. They have to buy third party and pay for second party commissions. Even Killer Instinct to a larger extent is great thanks to the developmental skills of workers outside of MS. Its been three generations now and they still cannot nail first party development for AAA titles. I cant argue with them when they give the reigns to third party.

Why would you argue?
Most likely the development cost are kept low, no contract with dead weight teams and different methods of work are used to distinguish IPs from inhouse's.

They even admitted that the risks are too high making first party exclusives they were questioned by the media as to why they werent having as much exclusive output as Sony. MS has no style. They aren't known for anything outside of simulators that sets them apart developmentwise from the competition. The only things they have are games that they've purchased. The games they actually created like Fable and Crackdown are all midtier at best. They admitted again that theyve tried to make games to go up against Uncharted and have yet to come up with anything themselves that ever could, which is why they moneyhatted Tomb Raider.

Microsoft seriously needs to address this lack of new ip's by first party developers, because of this is why I chose Sony this gen and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Goatseye said:

Why would you argue?
Most likely the development cost are kept low, no contract with dead weight teams and different methods of work are used to distinguish IPs from inhouse's.

They even admitted that the risks are too high making first party exclusives they were questioned by the media as to why they werent having as much exclusive output as Sony. MS has no style. They aren't known for anything outside of simulators that sets them apart developmentwise from the competition. The only things they have are games that they've purchased. The games they actually created like Fable and Crackdown are all midtier at best. They admitted again that theyve tried to make games to go up against Uncharted and have yet to come up with anything themselves that ever could, which is why they moneyhatted Tomb Raider.

You surely like to put spin on stuff.

Phil Spencer only said that they don't have a 3rd person adventure game "a la" Indiana Jones to go against Uncharted and Tomb Raider.

Nintendo is the only of the big 3, that has a distinctive style. Sony has no style and never had.

Third party was what put PS1 and PS2 on top of their respective gens. What games did Sony creat that set trend in the industry?

Mistershine said:
SjOne said:
They've never actually had an inhouse first party developer make a huge franchise for them. Its always another developer that makes a game then they buy them up if it does well. This dates back to the original Halo

Turn 10 say you're wrong.

Forza is the exception not the rule. Let's see them turn more in house games into mega franchises like Sony and Nintendo.