By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Bloomberg: Nintendo’s Outlook Disappoints and Mario Can’t Save Wii U (Stock down 8.7%)

WolfpackN64 said:
Shows how much financial markets suck. Better to surpass your forecast than to put a too high one and dissapoint.

Nintendo didn't really put out a very high forecast, and they've still had to lower parts of it.  9 months ago they forecasted just 3.2% growth in revenue YoY, and 40 billion yen operating income.  They have now adjusted both of those down.  They now expect their revenue to fall 3.8% and they slashed their operating income forecast in half.  On the other hand both their ordinary and net income forecasts are up, but that speaks more to the foreign exchange fluctuations than their actual business.

They also had to cut their 3DS forecast by 25% and could even have some difficulty meeting that.  Even their Wii U forecast that people thought was intentionally low is looking like they could miss it.

Also the markets base themselves on more than just internal forecasts.  If the company forecasts 10 and market expectations are 20, then the stock will be down if it posts 15.

Around the Network

Nintendo lower the wii u to $200 and you might have a customer here!

Conina said:
Sh1nn said:
NTDOY down 5% (falls to new 52 week low)

https://www.google.com/finance?q=NTDOY

NTDOY now worth less than EA or Activision
  • Nintendo Market Cap = 1,591,651.22 million Yen
  • Sony Market Cap = 3,212,530.72 million Yen

http://www.bloomberg.com/quote/6758:JP + http://www.bloomberg.com/quote/7974:JP

So Sony is now "worth" double of Nintendo... wasn't there a tie one year ago many Nintendo sites boasted about?

Nintendo's market value was briefly higher than Sony's about a year ago, that has nothing to do with total assets or anything where Sony has a giant lead.

Given that Nintendo is almost exclusively a video game company while Sony is a massive conglomerate involved in many industries, though, it was a pretty shocking fact for a moment there. Sony has no excuse for ever dipping that low.

Wow, that's a steep share price drop! Nintendo should announce a mobile game and I'm sure the share price will jump,

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

The main reason investors are upset even though the net income (profit) is pretty decent is because operating profit was only half of what Nintendo forecast.

That means the bulk of Nintendo's profits are coming from things like positive currency fluctuations, but not their game business itself.

Which ties back to the 3DS falling several million short of its targets. So when people say "well it doesn't matter if the 3DS declines" ... yes it does.

Also Wii U is apparently still something that earns Nintendo a loss, the reason they avoided that this past fiscal year is because all/most of the Wii Us sold in this fiscal year (to Decmeber at least) were manufactured/unsold inventory from the previous fiscal year -- meaning all losses on those units were reported on the previous year.

Around the Network
SjOne said:

If the almighty SNES couldn't outsell its predecessor, what makes you think Nintendo's next console has a chance of breaking the trend

It has a chance because IT'S NOT IMPOSSIBLE. It's pure logic. If something is possible then it can happen.

Look at this video. I think it sums up what I'm saying: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqdNe8u-Jsg  =D

I'm not saying they will make it. I don't even know what their plans are. But they did it once with Wii (against the odds) and I hope that they can do it once again for the sake of gaming industry.

EDIT: grammar correction

Anytime someone mentions Mario on smartphones I feel like dying. That would make me hate gaming so much if Nintendo went 3rd party in any way. They deserve to have consoles and handhelds in the gaming universe that they shaped and saved

XBOX ONE/Wii U/3DS/PC

RIP Iwata 12/6/1959-7/11/2015

Thanks for all the great memories!

Ljink96 said:

Nobody wants to mention the Vita even though they aren't trying but at least 3DS is trying. 

Is that not the point?

Vita is a platform that isn't supported by the manufacturer, and is selling like a platform that isn't supported by the manufacturer.

WiiU is a platform that is receiving a fairly decent amount of support by the manufacturer, and is selling like a platform that isn't supported by the manufacturer.

WiiU is the main factor in all this discussion, I feel.  The comments about 3DS sales aren't so much that they're terrible, it's just that the console has seen its peak and is only downhill from here.  And given that it's the vast majority of their hardware & software shipments, a mantle which WiiU clearly isn't ever going to take up, it begs the question of what's in store for the near future.

At least Sony has the PS4, which has been selling on pretty much nothing for the past year and has some actual exclusive games coming up.

(And y'know, all the other baggage that comes with Sony, which is a tonne of other unprofitable divisions making up its business, compared to Nintendo who are focused on videogames).

Lyrikalstylez said:
Nintendo lower the wii u to $200 and you might have a customer here!

That will never happen.  They are losing money on it as it is.

'Mitsushige Akino, an executive officer at Ichiyoshi Asset Management Co. in Tokyo. “Nintendo has a problem of getting their concept of gaming gain traction among users beyond their core audience.” '

Yes, well some of us have been saying that for a long time. But other people put their head in the sand and say that Nintendo doesn't need to appeal to the market, if Nintendo builds it the people will come. In the home console market that is simply not true and Nintendo needs to recognise that and stop with the devil may care approach to 3rd parties. Learn a bit from Sony with PS4 and actually bring 3rd party publishers into the design discussions for their next home console.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix