By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - OMG first ingame shot of FF XIII - looks amazing !!

windbane said:
your mother said:
windbane said:
your mother said:
windbane said:
BenKenobi88 said:
I enjoy cutscenes too. They show you important parts of the game, only with even better visuals. The only problem is, it takes you out of that suspension of belief. Sometimes I think it's better to keep it all on the in-game engine, to make it more fluid, because sometimes a really fancy cutscene makes the actual game look worse.

Yeah, a lot of people have been saying that lately. Fans, journalists, and some game developers. Personally, I love games with great cutscenes. The theater modes in MGS alone are worth doing cutscenes. You can watch the game like a movie. My grandma liked MGS 1 because of that theater mode.

FF remakes add cutscenes as well, and I like those. I never believed I was Solid Snake, so I guess I'm just one that doesn't worry about suspension of belief. It's all entertainment.

It's strange, most fans used to just oogle over cutscenes, but lately there has been a lot of backlash. Oh well, I hope developers don't listen to you guys, heh (not you in particular BenKenobi88).

I do hope that games make cutscenes skipable, though. Summons do get annoying.

You mean suspension of disbelief...

Then I guess he did too, then...

yep...

Gee thanks, Mom.

Oh, you're more than welcome, son.

Around the Network

Look at that pic again and tell me that Hollywood could make a movie with that type of detale and I will say, okay. Personally I dont think a game could have that good of visuals even in a cutscene.

PS4 said:

Sorry to dissappoint you but that picture is of course "not" in game. It's very obvious that this picture is taken from out of a cut scene, considering the girl is pointing her mighty weapon at you.

This profile is no longer in use, see my other profile *~Onna76~*

windbane said:
Cryoakira said:
windbane said:
BenKenobi88 said:
I enjoy cutscenes too. They show you important parts of the game, only with even better visuals. The only problem is, it takes you out of that suspension of belief. Sometimes I think it's better to keep it all on the in-game engine, to make it more fluid, because sometimes a really fancy cutscene makes the actual game look worse.

Yeah, a lot of people have been saying that lately. Fans, journalists, and some game developers. Personally, I love games with great cutscenes. The theater modes in MGS alone are worth doing cutscenes. You can watch the game like a movie. My grandma liked MGS 1 because of that theater mode.

FF remakes add cutscenes as well, and I like those. I never believed I was Solid Snake, so I guess I'm just one that doesn't worry about suspension of belief. It's all entertainment.

It's strange, most fans used to just oogle over cutscenes, but lately there has been a lot of backlash. Oh well, I hope developers don't listen to you guys, heh (not you in particular BenKenobi88).

I do hope that games make cutscenes skipable, though. Summons do get annoying.

Because there was a time when cut-scenes were a reward, like a great endind instead of a dull : YOU WIN - PEACE WAS RESTORED - CREDITS.... And in this cas, I like it.

There was a time where the face of characters were not detailled enough to show emotions, but it's not true anymore.

IMO, the worst thing about cut-scenes is that they often try to turn video games into movies, which they aren't. The base of a movie is "watching". The base of a game is "playing". So if you have to show/tell me something, do it while i'm in command, rather than during cut-scenes ! HL2 was pretty good at that, but it requires some narrative work, which developers rarely do.

I keep hearing that, and I keep disagreeing. No matter what if there is a story being told, you are not in control at that moment. I prefer the story to look as nice as possible. There are things you can do in the cutscene that are not gameplay animations. I don't want all of the story being told to be limited to gameplay. Kojima combines cinematic experiences with gameplay. There is no reason games should have to shy away from using movie elements, in my opinion. I like both.

And yet, some games does it. They tell stories while you're playing through dialogues, by showing or suggesting you things

You're taking the problem in the wrong sens because the limitation of gameplay is a bad excuse. The right answer is to expand the gameplay to fit the story. If at some point in the game, there is a huge battle involving my heros, I rather play it than watch it.

MGS is to me the worst example (and not just because I don't like the stories) because it's more an interactive movie than a game. I remember lauching MGS2 and playing like 5 minutes among 20 minutes of cut scenes. I shut it off.

Games are about interactivity, not inactivity.

Ok guys, MGS was the worst example of how to use videos between game. In fact, MGS had 3 phases, the game, the videos and the radio. And it felt like they didn't relate to each other in any ways. Game itself was good, but it would have been better without the video (or radio) sequenses. Videos done by engine are better, since they make the story feel more like it continues, where the game left it. Mostly i like short (done by engine) videos, what fill the missing parts of the story.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Around the Network
bdbdbd said:
Ok guys, MGS was the worst example of how to use videos between game. In fact, MGS had 3 phases, the game, the videos and the radio. And it felt like they didn't relate to each other in any ways. Game itself was good, but it would have been better without the video (or radio) sequenses. Videos done by engine are better, since they make the story feel more like it continues, where the game left it. Mostly i like short (done by engine) videos, what fill the missing parts of the story.

Kojima, if you by some freak accident read this...please disregard... 

windbane said:

TRUE.

Yeah, it's old and most definitly CGI.

kber81 said:
windbane said:

TRUE.

No, I agree with the original statement by bdbdbd, at least on the radio part: The button I used by far the most in MGS was the triangle button - those radio conversations started getting longer and longer while I'd patiently wait. Frankly if there was no way to skip the dialogue I would've trashed the game.

I mean, how many times did I have to hear that the metal gear suit was being moved from here to there, when I really just wanted to play?

Far Cry handled the same inane dialogue in a much more transparent way - and you didn't even need to hit any button the skip the dialogue, simply because there wasn't the need. You would hear the radio dialogue while you were playing the game, which integrates the plot with the gameplay and you could get on with your stealthing or fragging., which was the main reason I bought the game in the first place.

But this is an opinion of mine, and I'm sure judging by your comments bdbdbd's post I'm sure you would disagree.

@Kojima, if you do happen to read this, please integrate your radio dialogue with the gameplay, instead of having it on an interface with two renderings of characters in boxes that cover 1/10 of the screen, cuz it adds nothing to the gameplay but interrupt the game flow, and could be done in much better, more compelling and non-invasive fashion.

your mother said:
kber81 said:
windbane said:

TRUE.

No, I agree with the original statement by bdbdbd, at least on the radio part: The button I used by far the most in MGS was the triangle button - those radio conversations started getting longer and longer while I'd patiently wait. Frankly if there was no way to skip the dialogue I would've trashed the game.

I mean, how many times did I have to hear that the metal gear suit was being moved from here to there, when I really just wanted to play?

Far Cry handled the same inane dialogue in a much more transparent way - and you didn't even need to hit any button the skip the dialogue, simply because there wasn't the need. You would hear the radio dialogue while you were playing the game, which integrates the plot with the gameplay and you could get on with your stealthing or fragging., which was the main reason I bought the game in the first place.

But this is an opinion of mine, and I'm sure judging by your comments bdbdbd's post I'm sure you would disagree.

@Kojima, if you do happen to read this, please integrate your radio dialogue with the gameplay, instead of having it on an interface with two renderings of characters in boxes that cover 1/10 of the screen, cuz it adds nothing to the gameplay but interrupt the game flow, and could be done in much better, more compelling and non-invasive fashion.

I could handle that, even those it's been a tradition since Metal Gear 1 (on the NES).  Just keep the awesome cutscenes and dialogue.  I love the dialogue.  I'm not bothered with not being able to play.  It's part of the experience, just like playing an RPG.  People complained about the camera in MGS3 even though it was the same camera as all the other games, so maybe he will make some changes.  I've really enjoyed every Metal Gear game the way they are, though.