By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - OMG first ingame shot of FF XIII - looks amazing !!

D-FENS said:
Gballzack said:
FF12 was a dissapointment, this probably will be too. I'm certainly not putting any money into a Ps3 for the two installments that will be on that. I might buy the one for the Wii, but then again, probably not. P.S. Graphics have never made a FF game good or bad, they're just an added plus if that.

Yes, my favorite FF's were IV and VI, so I guess graphics aren't nearly as important to me. Actually, I started to get turned off by the overblown drama of cutscenes and summons in VII (2 UNSKIPABLE mins for Knights of the Round? C'mon!). What I'm saying is, I don't understand people going all crazy for an FMV pic, when it's the GAMEPLAY that really counts. Guess the PS3 is just a fancy DVD player after all. . . [ducks]

I enjoy cutscenes.  FF and MGS have the best in the business.  On the PC I'd say Blizzard has the best. 

Around the Network

I enjoy cutscenes too. They show you important parts of the game, only with even better visuals. The only problem is, it takes you out of that suspension of belief. Sometimes I think it's better to keep it all on the in-game engine, to make it more fluid, because sometimes a really fancy cutscene makes the actual game look worse.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

BenKenobi88 said:
I enjoy cutscenes too. They show you important parts of the game, only with even better visuals. The only problem is, it takes you out of that suspension of belief. Sometimes I think it's better to keep it all on the in-game engine, to make it more fluid, because sometimes a really fancy cutscene makes the actual game look worse.

Yeah, a lot of people have been saying that lately. Fans, journalists, and some game developers. Personally, I love games with great cutscenes. The theater modes in MGS alone are worth doing cutscenes. You can watch the game like a movie. My grandma liked MGS 1 because of that theater mode.

FF remakes add cutscenes as well, and I like those. I never believed I was Solid Snake, so I guess I'm just one that doesn't worry about suspension of belief. It's all entertainment.

It's strange, most fans used to just oogle over cutscenes, but lately there has been a lot of backlash. Oh well, I hope developers don't listen to you guys, heh (not you in particular BenKenobi88).

I do hope that games make cutscenes skipable, though. Summons do get annoying.

*Girl pointing gun at screen* YA...great "in-game" screen shot*sarcasm*

more like cut-scene central

I am WEEzY. You can suck my Nintendo loving BALLS!

MynameisGARY

windbane said:
BenKenobi88 said:

Yeah, a lot of people have been saying that lately. Fans, journalists, and some game developers. Personally, I love games with great cutscenes. The theater modes in MGS alone are worth doing cutscenes. You can watch the game like a movie. My grandma liked MGS 1 because of that theater mode.

FF remakes add cutscenes as well, and I like those. I never believed I was Solid Snake, so I guess I'm just one that doesn't worry about suspension of belief. It's all entertainment.

It's strange, most fans used to just oogle over cutscenes, but lately there has been a lot of backlash. Oh well, I hope developers don't listen to you guys, heh (not you in particular BenKenobi88).

Because there was a time when cut-scenes were a reward, like a great endind instead of a dull : YOU WIN - PEACE WAS RESTORED - CREDITS.... And in this cas, I like it.

There was a time where the face of characters were not detailled enough to show emotions, but it's not true anymore.

IMO, the worst thing about cut-scenes is that they often try to turn video games into movies, which they aren't. The base of a movie is "watching". The base of a game is "playing". So if you have to show/tell me something, do it while i'm in command, rather than during cut-scenes ! HL2 was pretty good at that, but it requires some narrative work, which developers rarely do.

Around the Network
windbane said:
BenKenobi88 said:

You mean suspension of disbelief... 

your mother said:
windbane said:
BenKenobi88 said:

Then I guess he did too, then...

Cryoakira said:
windbane said:
BenKenobi88 said:

Because there was a time when cut-scenes were a reward, like a great endind instead of a dull : YOU WIN - PEACE WAS RESTORED - CREDITS.... And in this cas, I like it.

There was a time where the face of characters were not detailled enough to show emotions, but it's not true anymore.

IMO, the worst thing about cut-scenes is that they often try to turn video games into movies, which they aren't. The base of a movie is "watching". The base of a game is "playing". So if you have to show/tell me something, do it while i'm in command, rather than during cut-scenes ! HL2 was pretty good at that, but it requires some narrative work, which developers rarely do.

I keep hearing that, and I keep disagreeing. No matter what if there is a story being told, you are not in control at that moment. I prefer the story to look as nice as possible. There are things you can do in the cutscene that are not gameplay animations. I don't want all of the story being told to be limited to gameplay. Kojima combines cinematic experiences with gameplay. There is no reason games should have to shy away from using movie elements, in my opinion. I like both.

windbane said:
your mother said:
windbane said:
BenKenobi88 said:

yep... 

your mother said:
windbane said:
your mother said:
windbane said:
BenKenobi88 said:

yep...

Gee thanks, Mom.