By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - [STAFF ANNOUNCEMENT] The Site Rules Have Been Updated: Effective Immediately

Smeags said:
Arcturus said:

This is a welcome change. I see this all of the time in these forums. Are you guys going to be proactively cracking down on this, or only in response to complaints about it?

Like always, we aren't going to be everywhere, sniffing out problems. 80% of our moderating comes from reports. We're a decent sized team, but we can't do it all. But if we see it, or hear about through a report, we'll always do our best to ensure that a thread is worthy of constructive discussion.

Gotcha. Thanks.

Around the Network
gergroy said:

interesting, so no more requested permabans eh? People will just have to stop coming to the site on their own free will from now on!!!

Edit:  Also, what is the deal with necro bumping?  I never thought of it as a bad thing, and can often lead to more discussion... why create another thread to talk about another thread?  Seems like a silly rule.  If you are worried about necrobumping being a form of flaming/mocking, then make a rule along those lines.  Don't necrobump a thread to mock it.  However, there are more reasons for necrobumping than that and I don't think it should be against the rules...

Ummmmm... read carefully you can ask for bans.

• For any reason, a user may ask a moderator to ban them for a specific period of time. This ban will not stack against you if you are moderated for rule-breaking in the future. If you would like to return to the website before the deadline, contact a mod by way of an alternate account (See Rule 18). With all that said, we will not grant you a permanent ban.

Seece said:

So say Spiderman makes a prediction XB1 will sell 500 mill by end of 2015 and it misses it, how do we address that in a new thread? Can we say "Spiderman's failed prediction!"

That's kinda calling out a single user... it'll honestly get you in trouble more often than not.

If you can, try to get as many predictions as you can (which goes hand in hand with our tradition of "Guess what _____ will sell!" threads). Then after a while, post a "______ Sales are Here! How did VGChartz do?!" and then link (or copy/paste the data) the old thread and bada bing, bada boom! Prediction shenanigans thread!

Smeags said:
BraLoD said:

What's the point in doing predictions if when they happen we can't analise if we were close or not? Necrobumping in some threads is necessary IMO.

The means to look back upon older predicitions is right there in the rules:

(you can always include the link to the original thread if you want to have a reference to the original topic)

Can you explain the thought process behind this a little bit?  How is making a thread about an older thread better than commenting in the older thread itself?  I am just not seeing the problem you are trying to solve with this rule...

Those are some good changes! The mod team is doing a great job at keeping this a great place to discuss.

"Never argue with stupid people. They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."

-Samuel Clemens

Around the Network
Smeags said:
IFireflyl said:

If you still feel the need to discuss a topic that is past the 30 day mark due to whatever reason, create a new thread about what you want to discuss (you can always include the link to the original thread if you want to have a reference to the original topic).

That kind of says it right there. :)

You're pretty up to date with the necro-bumping.

Just another bug to fix. @_@

You're telling me. Conegamer throat-punched me. I was scared for my life.

It's honestly not at all tough to read through. I don't actually think a summary is needed, because most is common sence, but I just made a list of some things I either didn't know myself, or thought needed emphasising.

But you should just read the whole thing yourselves. It's organized well and should take no more than like 3 minutes to browse through. You'll pretty much take everything in.

Here's just some of the rules that stuck out to me (for no particular reason):

Thread Titles: 

• Should use full names rather than abbreviations (StarCraft instead of SC. Star Control 2 instead of SC2. Soul Calibur 3 instead of SC3. SimCity 4 instead of SC4).
  • Should use proper capitalization (no CAPS), grammar, and spelling. -----This thread kinda breaks that rule... Just saying. :P-----
  • Should not include inappropriate language

Thread Content:

• Threads are only "official" if a moderator says so (to get Moderator approval, you must contact a moderator and they must be the one to approve your idea/title for an "Official" thread).

Substance. Content is king for all posts and threads. Threads breaking the following rules and/or lacking content can and will be locked. Some tips to keep you and your posts out of trouble:

• Poster Above You threads, Voting threads, Elimination threads, and the like require moderator approval. If you do not have it, the thread will be locked, and if you are a repeat offender, you will be moderated. Note that an approved thread may still be locked by the Lead Moderators.
  • Do not only post a link, or a copy-pasted article. At the very least avoid committing plagiarism by giving credit to the original author of the piece. Providing original context or commentary is also highly encouraged.

Insults and flaming:

• Similarly, avoid discussing the user who created the thread in a negative, insulting, or accusational fashion, rather than discussing the thread topic itself. If you feel a topic is baiting, trolling or rule-breaking, report it.

chocoloco said:
gergroy said:

interesting, so no more requested permabans eh? People will just have to stop coming to the site on their own free will from now on!!!

Edit:  Also, what is the deal with necro bumping?  I never thought of it as a bad thing, and can often lead to more discussion... why create another thread to talk about another thread?  Seems like a silly rule.  If you are worried about necrobumping being a form of flaming/mocking, then make a rule along those lines.  Don't necrobump a thread to mock it.  However, there are more reasons for necrobumping than that and I don't think it should be against the rules...

Ummmmm... read carefully you can ask for bans.

• For any reason, a user may ask a moderator to ban them for a specific period of time. This ban will not stack against you if you are moderated for rule-breaking in the future. If you would like to return to the website before the deadline, contact a mod by way of an alternate account (See Rule 18). With all that said, we will not grant you a permanent ban.

I bolded what I was referencing for you!

Wh1pL4shL1ve_007 said:
As for quote trees what about just altering the code? Are you guys in control of that?

Potentially. A lot of the simpler fixes are being done at the moment. The only one who knows what he can or can't do is Truck.

Smeags said:
Seece said:

So say Spiderman makes a prediction XB1 will sell 500 mill by end of 2015 and it misses it, how do we address that in a new thread? Can we say "Spiderman's failed prediction!"

That's kinda calling out a single user... it'll honestly get you in trouble more often than not.

If you can, try to get as many predictions as you can (which goes hand in hand with our tradition of "Guess what _____ will sell!" threads). Then after a while, post a "______ Sales are Here! How did VGChartz do?!" and then link (or copy/paste the data) the old thread and bada bing, bada boom! Prediction shenanigans thread!

Hmmm, I'm really disagreeing with this. There is no point in a single person making a prediction thread anymore then? I don't see the harm personally, predictions have an end date and discussion. Also what about threads like this which (I had planned) to open again whent he results are in - http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=175950&page=1

Perhaps if you're not going to amend the rules make it so you need mod permission before necroing a thread?