By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Is final Fantasy X still worth playing despite spoilers?

Should I still get it?

Yes 93 89.42%

No 11 10.58%

Total:104

Maybe... I like the battle system and the presentation ( visuals & soundtrack), but the other aspects are simply very lackluster! :/

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
Areym said:

It's good, go for it. I was never a huge fan of the story to begin with, the dialogue is a bit painful at times. Combat system is great and with the new remaster, the music and some of the visual got some much needed love. It's pretty linear though, up until the last part of the game when you get the ship and get to "explore" (Which makes me wonder by people gave FFXIII such a hard time when FFX is just as linear) The journey is more important than the destination and unless you really, REALLY give a hoot about these characters (I didn't, honestly), you will still enjoy it. Plus, Blitzball.

FFX doesn't feel as linear though. In FFXIII it is pretty much, walk forward, fight some battles, watch cutscenes, rinse and repeat. In FFX there are other things to do, you have to towns you stop in where you get a break from the battles and you also have blitzball to play around with.

Exactly. FF13 took linearity just a step or three too far, with constant mandatory party composition and level caps in place just to keep you moving forward rather than doing your own thing. I can see why the comparisons between 10 and 13 exist, but they feel so different...10 sucked me in immediately, whereas 13 repulsed me.

Yes! It is my favourite game of all time though, so obviously I'm biased. I would recommend the PS2 version with the original soundtrack, but if you prefer the new soundtrack you could get it for the PS3 or PSV.

Ka-pi96 said:
Areym said:

It's good, go for it. I was never a huge fan of the story to begin with, the dialogue is a bit painful at times. Combat system is great and with the new remaster, the music and some of the visual got some much needed love. It's pretty linear though, up until the last part of the game when you get the ship and get to "explore" (Which makes me wonder by people gave FFXIII such a hard time when FFX is just as linear) The journey is more important than the destination and unless you really, REALLY give a hoot about these characters (I didn't, honestly), you will still enjoy it. Plus, Blitzball.

FFX doesn't feel as linear though. In FFXIII it is pretty much, walk forward, fight some battles, watch cutscenes, rinse and repeat. In FFX there are other things to do, you have to towns you stop in where you get a break from the battles and you also have blitzball to play around with.

Not just that.  The battles were easier to progress through , more choice, more basic and understandable decisions involving strategy and customization of weapons and accessories, you could escape from battles easier and quicker without having to face certain enemies roadblocking you, you could switch in and out party members at will, you could overkill bosses at the right time to receive awesome rewards.  

And most importantly, you were never punished in FFX like FFXIII punishes you for being caught off guard.  FFX allows for adaptive gameplay rather than being screwed at the beginning of some of the battles.  FFX has one or two exceptions of that like maybe *spoilers*......Yunalesca, but it's not that big of a deal.

FFXIII though had a shit ton of bosses AND regular enemies that would end you if you didn't get your paradigms right before battle.  It got really tedious remaking your deck from scratch and having to flag your main paradigm among other things FFXIII puts you through.  The upgrade system of FFXIII was the antithesis of a streamlined RPG Weapon/Accessory upgrade system.