By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will the potential of Splatoon and Mario Maker be let down by marketing?

Soundwave said:

Splatoon will probably get a good push on Cartoon Network and what not. Not as big as MK8 though obviously.

What if the game has Amiibo support where you can unlock Nintendo characters? Mario, Samus, Link, Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, Luigi, Captain Falcon, Pitt, Marth, Fox, Pikachu, Yoshi, Villager could work. 

I sincerely hope not.

Sure, it might move a few copies in the short term, but in the long term it leads to oversaturation and diminishment of these characters, to the point where oneday even Mario will have lost his brand power.

Around the Network

I strongly hope otherwise but Nintendo will drop the ball here as per ususal.

curl-6 said:
Soundwave said:

Splatoon will probably get a good push on Cartoon Network and what not. Not as big as MK8 though obviously.

What if the game has Amiibo support where you can unlock Nintendo characters? Mario, Samus, Link, Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, Luigi, Captain Falcon, Pitt, Marth, Fox, Pikachu, Yoshi, Villager could work. 

I sincerely hope not.

Sure, it might move a few copies in the short term, but in the long term it leads to oversaturation and diminishment of these characters, to the point where oneday even Mario will have lost his brand power.

I want an exclusive Blooper amiibo bundled with Splatoon. And an exclusive Mario FLUDD amiibo that unlocks a special mode where you (Mario) have to clean up the Inkling's mess. The Blooper amiibo would give you a Blooper themed hat that boosts your ink capacity.

There have been Mario cameos in Zelda games and vice versa, never saw someone complain about that. This would greatly help the sales of Splatoon and add an extra layer of fun to the game. And it wouldn't feel out of place as it makes perfect sense. A lot better than the amiibo support of Codename Steam.

Both games have no potential and won't be system seller or even sell well for current owners.

Vgchartz users are not representative of most Nintendo consumers. Here we have the most hardcore nintendo fans, to the point they make a pledge to buy 3rd party on nintendo consoles even if the port for it is worse, no achievements and smaller network community.

The only thing that could be a system seller is a metacritic 96+ Zelda game, which I don't think Nintendo can deliver.

solidpumar said:
Both games have no potential and won't be system seller or even sell well on for current owners.

The only thing that could be a system seller is a metacritic 96+ Zelda game, which I don't think Nintendo can deliver.

Might want to take a look at 2D Mario's sales before you spout such nonsense lol.

Around the Network
Samus Aran said:
curl-6 said:
Soundwave said:

I sincerely hope not.

I want an exclusive Blooper amiibo bundled with Splatoon. And an exclusive Mario FLUDD amiibo that unlocks a special mode where you (Mario) have to clean up the Inkling's mess. The Blooper amiibo would give you a Blooper themed hat that boosts your ink capacity.

There have been Mario cameos in Zelda games and vice versa, never saw someone complain about that. This would greatly help the sales of Splatoon and add an extra layer of fun to the game. And it wouldn't feel out of place as it makes perfect sense. A lot better than the amiibo support of Codename Steam.

Nintendo's powerful brands are all that's keeping them afloat, if they dilute their appeal through overuse, they're fucked.

curl-6 said:

Nintendo's powerful brands are all that's keeping them afloat, if they dilute their appeal through overuse, they're fucked.

If Mario Party and Mario and Sonic at the Olympics didn't hurt the brand, nothing will.

Samus Aran said:
curl-6 said:

If Mario Party and Mario and Sonic at the Olympics didn't hurt the brand, nothing will.

If every major game gets support for Nintendo's stable of characters through amiibo, their franchises will blend together into a homogenous mush. The won't have as much individuality any more. They're already seen as "the guys who just milk Mario and Zelda", they need to change that perception, not add to it.

curl-6 said:
Samus Aran said:
curl-6 said:

If every major game gets support for Nintendo's stable of characters through amiibo, their franchises will blend together into a homogenous mush. The won't have as much individuality any more. They're already seen as "the guys who just milk Mario and Zelda", they need to change that perception, not add to it.

Said by people who will never buy a Nintendo console. The Mario amiibo support for splatoon makes sense. It wouldn't make sense in let's say Pokkén Tournament (Tekken cameos on the other hand) or Metroid (besides stickers in MP3).
Did anyone complain about the Metroid cameo in DK: TF? People love that shit. Cameos won't make DK blend with Metroid lol.

solidpumar said:

Both games have no potential and won't be system seller or even sell well for current owners.

Vgchartz users are not representative of most Nintendo consumers. Here we have the most hardcore nintendo fans, to the point they make a pledge to buy 3rd party on nintendo consoles even if the port for it is worse, no achievements and smaller network community.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n29CicBxZuw

01001011 01101001 01110011 01110011 00100000 01101101 01111001 00100000 01110011 01101000 01101001 01101110 01111001 00100000 01101101 01100101 01110100 01100001 01101100 00100000 01100001 01110011 01110011 00100001