By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will the potential of Splatoon and Mario Maker be let down by marketing?

Splatoon could be a hit or miss, I dunno. Mario Maker, on the other hand, could be a huge thing for the modding community and its fans, so it'll probably have a long legs

.- -... -.-. -..

Around the Network

Yes. Nintendo sucks at advertising their stuff these days

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Hopefully not.

Soundwave said: What if the game has Amiibo support where you can unlock Nintendo characters? Mario, Samus, Link, Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, Luigi, Captain Falcon, Pitt, Marth, Fox, Pikachu, Yoshi, Villager could work. 

If I had to guess, Splatoon will most likely have Amiibo support. It will probably do stuff like unlock Marios hat and suit, Samus' suit and arm cannon, DK's tie, Links cap and tunic, etc. The way I see it, this game might have the most Amiibo support we've seen to date because everyone has been waiting for the one game that really takes advantage of Amiibo. With the multiple weapons and peices of equipment this game has, Amiibo have a lot of potential to unlock cool things in it. Look at Hyrule warriors, lots of characters ment lots of costumes, currency, and a weapon or two. 

Do I think either of these games will be system sellers? No, not in the short term at least. Aggressive marketing of Amiibo involvement in Splatoon could, but I doubt they will. As far as Mario Maker, I think its too niche. I don't think it will even break 400k lifetime, but I could be wrong. Hell, I don't even see the game selling for more than $40 maybe even $30, the whole game looks like its something that should have just been a part of NSMBU or $15 DLC for the game. 

Btw, does anyone else think Nintendo missed out on a huge oppertunity not having a level creator in Captian Toad? A Captian Toad with a level creator has WAY more potential than Mario Maker imo. 

“What I say is, a town isn't a town without a bookstore. It may call itself a town, but unless it's got a bookstore it knows it's not fooling a soul.”  - Neil Gaiman

Both deserve good sales since both look great. I wish wii u would have sold more by now so that way these new games would get better sales.

Around the Network

commercials for this mobile game------bubble something----every time it comes on, i think its splatoon.

i'm confused by mario maker. it seems like it would be a cool app, but do they expect people to pay 40 or 60 bucks for a game that's not a game?

jmorris724 said:
commercials for this mobile game------bubble something----every time it comes on, i think its splatoon.

i'm confused by mario maker. it seems like it would be a cool app, but do they expect people to pay 40 or 60 bucks for a game that's not a game?

People buy LBP, so why not? I'm sure the game will feature a singleplayer campaign made by Nintendo.

Samus Aran said:

If every major game gets support for Nintendo's stable of characters through amiibo, their franchises will blend together into a homogenous mush. The won't have as much individuality any more. They're already seen as "the guys who just milk Mario and Zelda", they need to change that perception, not add to it.

Said by people who will never buy a Nintendo console. The Mario amiibo support for splatoon makes sense. It wouldn't make sense in let's say Pokkén Tournament (Tekken cameos on the other hand) or Metroid (besides stickers in MP3).
Did anyone complain about the Metroid cameo in DK: TF? People love that shit. Cameos won't make DK blend with Metroid lol.

There are plenty of people who would be open to getting a Nintendo system if there was less negative stigma attached. 

Nintendo needs to work on improving their woeful image among the nerdcore by showing they can be "cool" again.

curl-6 said:
Samus Aran said:

If every major game gets support for Nintendo's stable of characters through amiibo, their franchises will blend together into a homogenous mush. The won't have as much individuality any more. They're already seen as "the guys who just milk Mario and Zelda", they need to change that perception, not add to it.

Said by people who will never buy a Nintendo console. The Mario amiibo support for splatoon makes sense. It wouldn't make sense in let's say Pokkén Tournament (Tekken cameos on the other hand) or Metroid (besides stickers in MP3).
Did anyone complain about the Metroid cameo in DK: TF? People love that shit. Cameos won't make DK blend with Metroid lol.

There are plenty of people who would be open to getting a Nintendo system if there was less negative stigma attached. 

Nintendo needs to work on improving their woeful image among the nerdcore by showing they can be "cool" again.

By killing off all their cartoony games... No thanks. 

Samus Aran said:
curl-6 said:
Samus Aran said:

By killing off all their cartoony games... No thanks. 

I never said an anything about killing off the cartoon games.

Just ease up on the overuse of their mascots before they wear out their appeal.