By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will the potential of Splatoon and Mario Maker be let down by marketing?

Nintendo is terrible with marketing... I think haters and lovers can agree with that, i really hope they push this games more than ever, this can be a huge year for WiiU if they want, but not all the masterpieces on the world can change something for WiiU if people don´t know them!

Around the Network

Nintendo of america and europe sucks donkey dick when it comes to marketing. I expect spectacularly shitty commercials for splatoon and mario maker. Gone are the days of the impressive marketing campaigns of the Wii/DS era.

It's definitely possible. If we've learned anything this generation is that marketing is really important to a game's commercial success.

I know sometimes Nintendo appears to think it's big franchises can sell themselves so unless they are planning to make Splatoon a big franchise I don't expect it to get much advertising love.

I think people don't realise how much money can be wasted on advertising with no guaranteed return, so in effect in can sometimes be like throwing good money after bad. I think lack of advertising by Nintendo these days is very much a symptom of them deciding that they want to get out of this generation with the simple goal of minimising losses/returning to profit.

Reggie called out Splatoon by name as an IP that could push the userbase. I think NOA will find the guts and the cash to market it.

Mario Maker is a tricky one to position. It's really something aimed at lifeflong Mario diehards. However, given that older Mario VC titles sell better than a large number of other WiiU games, there's undoubtedly a lot of potential there.

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016

Around the Network

Honestly, I don't really know enough about nintendo's marketing habits with it's games. I hope that those games become really big hits for the wii u. It really needs something fresh and that can move consoles. The xbone is still within reach for the wii u.

Its Nintendo people, of course there wont be any major marketing push.

There will be some commercials for the games, but will no doubt have more marketing in Japan as usual.

Australian Gamer (add me if you like)               
NNID: Maraccuda              
PS Network: Maraccuda           

This is a silly question... (Yes )

Splatoon, definitely not. It would surprise me if I see a single television commercial for it. I think they're just going to throw it out there and advertise in-system to people who are already Wii U owners.

Mario Maker, I don't know. Depends on how much of a game is included. If it's basically nothing but a toolkit, then no.

I'm definitely looking forward to those but I always expect Nintendo to fail when it comes to advertising... It's hard to believe this is the same Nintendo from the late 80's and 90's. Heck, they were better in the first half of the 2000's.