By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS4 and X1 shipped nearly 30 million consoles at the end of 2014 according to AMD

I wonder how much money is AMD making from the PS4 and xbone..

nevermind it was in the link XD

Around the Network
GribbleGrunger said:
Aura7541 said:

I see. I'm confused as well because AMD makes it sound like it is almost 30 million sold to consumers with the use of "end users". However, AMD's mention of "publicly available data" just brings us back to square one.

Exactly. Are they using Sony's and Microsoft's numbers to evaluate those numbers? If so, where are they getting Microsoft's numbers from? I'm really confused now.

the concept that AMD doesnt have the numbes is stupid. Sony and MS share their numbers with AMD and even share forcasts for how much they expect to sell. its called supply chain managment, anybody who knows anything about business knows this, anybody who thinks AMD just guesses knows nothing about how to handle a business. 

Insidb said:

By AMD's own verbatim, these are units shipped by Sony and MS ("our customers") to retailers ("end users"). Sony and MS only ship directly to final purchasers from their own stores, which is the vast minority of sales, and it makes no sense that AMD would know the sales data of their customer's customers. I work with chip suppliers, and they only ever ask what we will need and sell us the lot (We have to put the order in up front.). To build on that, Sony has publicly stated sell through to end users (us) for Q4Y14, but MS has not. MS has announced shipment numbers quite consistently, however, so the only logical conclusion I can draw is that this is a reference to shipments from MS and Sony to distributors.

If I had to guess, AMD was originally talking about shipped to retailer units, but was scolded by Microsoft, because that data could reveal that Xbone sales are lower than 9 million. Better for people to think they're at 11 million than at 9 million.

That response from AMD was just damage-control without lying about sales. Even with sold-through numbers, the numbers would be close to 30 million.

Insidb said:
thismeintiel said:
czecherychestnut said:
GribbleGrunger said:

Perhaps 11m XB1 is actually right. I've been reading Gaf and it appears as if AMD is talking in terms of 'sold through' to customers and not 'shipped' in the sense we are normally used to:

We are pleased with the full-year performance of the semi-custom business and the strong sell-through reported by our customers. Nearly 30 million Sony and Microsoft consoles have now shipped.

Let me just clarify. In terms of the unit shipments, those are unit shipments from our customers to end users, and most of that is publicly available data from what Sony and Microsoft have published.

So relative to historical, I think most people will say that historically, the game console shipments in this generation are higher than in the previous generation. And you can come up with all kinds of reasons for that; some of that is the price points that they've chosen. I think that certainly helped the holiday season. Some of that is its software titles that are available at a given point in time.

I think the main thing is as we look at any holiday season, we want to make sure that there's not a lot of inventory that's sitting with our customers, and we see that that's fairly well balanced. So that gives us confidence as you go into 2015 and you see new titles that are launched, and those come out, that it should be a fairly normal market.

Here is the link to the earnings transcript where the above comes from:  http://ir.amd.com/mobile.view?c=74093&v=200&d=2&id=5178684

Looks like it comes down to how much inventory is in the channel and what the sellthrough is. If PS4 shipments are at 19 million, it would make XB1 shipments around 11 million, which would still make sell-through less than 11 million, but in this case we are talking an overtrack of 300-500k, not 1 mil+ like we thought earlier

It's also kinda hard to know exactly what AMD considers nearly.  Is it Sony's nearly, where they are just a few 10K-100K out.  Or is it MS's recent nearly, where they were most likely 1M-2M away from their 10M figure.

By AMD's own verbatim, these are units shipped by Sony and MS ("our customers") to retailers ("end users"). Sony and MS only ship directly to final purchasers from their own stores, which is the vast minority of sales, and it makes no sense that AMD would know the sales data of their customer's customers. I work with chip suppliers, and they only ever ask what we will need and sell us the lot (We have to put the order in up front.). To build on that, Sony has publicly stated sell through to end users (us) for Q4Y14, but MS has not. MS has announced shipment numbers quite consistently, however, so the only logical conclusion I can draw is that this is a reference to shipments from MS and Sony to distributors.

The word "end user" is not retail. That would be impossible. Even for Sony and MS an end user is a consumer, even for AMD an end user is a consumer, even the dictionory definition defines an end user as a consumer. 

It is talking about units sold to end users. It is being shown as a metric in order for investors to understand how well their overall performance is in the semi custom market. 

AMD also said that the number of chips they shipped in Q4 declined as most of the chips were sent in Q3 for Q4 and the ones shipping in Q4 was for Q1. So that makes it even clearer that the number is sold through. Especially when AMD are describing it as customer to end user sales and NOT AMD to customer sales. 

http://www.vg247.com/2014/04/25/microsoft-to-channel-inventory-drawdown-for-xbox-consoles-during-q4-fy14-says-cfo/

in my opinion, if you look at this from last Apr it is clear in that area Microsoft kept production down, did microsoft since than increase its production of xboxone units/month ie: ramp up production or did they gather the current production rate since Apr in order to have enough units on hand for christmas selling season, and did Microsoft in any time since after christmas post season say they are increasing xboxone production ie: ramp up production. Ie: in my opinion no..so the way i see it Microsoft has not increased production since Apr 2014 as a matter of fact they reduced, had a surplus of units to sell for christmas 2014 and drew down their production number of units/ month because even after the sales the areas for microsoft strong demand is NA and the UK. thus its more than feasable that its overtracked than likely spot on, because again as of Apr microsoft stated drawn down production number's and as sofar never stated there was a ramp up of production, since than.

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

Around the Network
GribbleGrunger said:

Perhaps 11m XB1 is actually right. I've been reading Gaf and it appears as if AMD is talking in terms of 'sold through' to customers and not 'shipped' in the sense we are normally used to:

We are pleased with the full-year performance of the semi-custom business and the strong sell-through reported by our customers. Nearly 30 million Sony and Microsoft consoles have now shipped.

Let me just clarify. In terms of the unit shipments, those are unit shipments from our customers to end users, and most of that is publicly available data from what Sony and Microsoft have published.

So relative to historical, I think most people will say that historically, the game console shipments in this generation are higher than in the previous generation. And you can come up with all kinds of reasons for that; some of that is the price points that they've chosen. I think that certainly helped the holiday season. Some of that is its software titles that are available at a given point in time.

I think the main thing is as we look at any holiday season, we want to make sure that there's not a lot of inventory that's sitting with our customers, and we see that that's fairly well balanced. So that gives us confidence as you go into 2015 and you see new titles that are launched, and those come out, that it should be a fairly normal market.

And the rest of the data is coming from VG chartz. LOL!

Think about it: VGChartz has PS4bone at "nearly 30 million", 29.5 million is exacttly that in a PR sense. Sony PR says 18.5M sell through. MS public announcements said " 10 million shipped "shortly" in November. VGC now has combined LTDs at nearly 30 million. AMD using but not acknowledging VGC data as damage control confirmed.

But seriously, where is that obfuscating BS from? It's certainly not from the official AMD transcript that's part of their official report as linked above, which is

"We are pleased with the full-year performance of the semi-custom business and the strong sell-through reported by our customers. Nearly 30
million Sony and Microsoft consoles have now shipped. Our semi-custom unit shipments more than doubled in 2014, which fueled excellent
full-year performance for this part of our business.
Embedded processor revenues also increased for the third straight quarter, as we continued to successfully execute our strategy to gain share in
targeted vertical markets where our high performance CPU and GPU IP are differentiated."

Nobody anywhere ever says "shipped" when they actually mean sold to consumers. Not Sony, not MS, not Nintendo, not any game publishers when talking about how many sofware units have been shipped. No one. Ever.

If the bolded is actually a quote from what someone from AMD said they are making a complete hash of things. Until MS actually says they shipped 12 million Xb one's as of the end of 2014 9 (and thgerefore 11 million sell through is credible) there is no credibility to the assertion that sell through combined is "nearly 30 million" in the sense that it's above 29 million. But it is almost certainly "nearly 30 million" in the sense that it's closer to 30 million than 25 million.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Haha, it would be an epic fail if they were using VGC data.

Seems like we don't know more than before and MS probably won't release X1 shipment data in the next report (only together with 360).

Seriously.... Seriously........?????

I'm done with coming to this site.

You guys are honestly suggesting that AMD are using Chartz data. They're using sell through data provided to them by MS and Sony.

You guys are all reading way too much into this and have no experience or knowledge on the terminology being used and what is exactly being reported. Seems this site is just full of fanboys who trust Chartz 100% and can't use their tiny minds to think for themselves.

Only reason I come to this site is to see the awesome thread that has the COMG numbers. This thread has annoyed me so much how not even a single person can see sense or know how to read a flipping report.

Moderated - Leadified

Jabbamk1 said:

You guys are honestly suggesting that AMD are using Chartz data. They're using sell through data provided to them by MS and Sony.

You guys are all reading way too much into this and have no experience or knowledge on the terminology being used and what is exactly being reported. Seems this site is just full of fanboys who trust Chartz 100% and can't use their tiny minds to think for themselves.

Only reason I come to this site is to see the awesome thread that has the COMG numbers. This thread has annoyed me so much how not even a single person can see sense or know how to read a flipping report.

I was obviously only joking.

No one here trusts VGC data 100%, lol.

episteme said:
Jabbamk1 said:

I was obviously only joking.

No one here trusts VGC data 100%, lol.

tbh my post wasn't directed at you at all. 

A number of posters in this thread however.....