By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - FFXV is one giant, connected Landmass. Important disconcerting info

sales2099 said:
I have serious doubts a japanese company can make a sandbox as impressive as say GTA5. Let's be honest, Japanese developers aren't known to specialize in this.

FFXV among other FF games aren't meant to be sandboxes.  They're usually semi-linear open worlds.  FFXV however does seem to be the most open of all the FF games along with FFXII.

Around the Network
artur-fernand said:
bigtakilla said:

Art direction can take you far my friend. Also, I'm fairly positive neither of us are devs and can say what the N64 or Playstation 1 was and wasn't capable of. The only thing I know CDs had the upper hand on was better sound quality (and despite rumors they both had voice acted games). It was a classic case of having a GREAT art direction, simple as that. 

Cutscenes (yet again) have very little bearing on the GAMES graphics. And both systems had them, in fact the Sega Saturn had them too (as well as the Sega CD the previous gen). Saying a game has cutscenes is far from saying it focused heavily on graphics. And it still doesn't place it ahead of the games that looked better on the same console. 

As far as the resolution of the backgrounds, I'd say they are similar. Some areas look better, some worse. Most everything being modeled in 3D was absolutely MINDBLOWING though, and more than likely the reason it got a 99 on metacritic.

Character models were also better in OOT than FF VII. Where any time the game would get graphically taxing, they had to use a chibi model, while in OOT, they could use the full size model though the entire game. 

But I think we are focusing a little heavy on different consoles that excelled at two different things. It's hard to judge. Still what about games that came out on PS that were better graphically than FF?

But still, the game was crazy expensive. All that money was going somewhere - most likely on the visuals. Not to mention, Sony had a huge multi-million dollar marketing campaign for the game, putting heavy emphasis on the graphics. Again, it was the cinematic feel of the thing. And then you have something like FFVIII which was absolutely insane at the time. When the game came out, I think it's fair to assume only MGS could rival it in graphics (not counting the Dreamcast, duh). And hell, just look at that opening of the game. It's pre-rendered and has nothing to do with the game, yes, but it's a good indicative of how much they cared about the wow factor on the graphics aspect. And I wasn't internet savvy at the time, but I can only imagine how crazy it was when FFX was announced, with the backgrounds rendered in real time and whatnot.

And FF is rarely the best looking game on the system actually. It wasn't on the NES, SNES, PS1 (though only a handful of games look better than FFVIII and IX) or PS3. Maybe FFXII was on the PS2, but you have stuff like GoW2 for example too.

Anyway, the point is, as Square's flagship franchise, FF has always aimed for great looking visuals.

It was the only huge game Playstation had when it first came out. They were going to boast whatever it had like it was the second coming of Christ. You'll notice that the campaign put infasis on the art direction over what the gameplay actually looked like. At the time it was the closest thing to looking like an anime there was, so they got big pictures of what the anime characters looked like and plastered them EVERYWHERE. A little marketing deception that worked wonders if you ask me.

VIII was fairly impressive graphics wise, but you got to remember it's biggest challenge was going against what most would consider the greatest game of all time. Everything had to be bigger and better. But by the time VIII came around every playstation game had an extremely cinematic feel. Resident Evil went so far as to have live action characters. Remember, with all that cinematic feel, they still didn't even have voice acting in 8, while other games at the time did. But the success of 7 and a cash flow unlike Squaresoft had seen or will ever see since allowed them to do that.

Now has FF always went for great looking visuals? Yes. But it was never the forefront of their games until X. I have already previously agreed with that , and it marks the downfall with an uncontrollable airship and room and hallway level designs.

RolStoppable said:
BraLoD said:

He is talking about Xenoblade IMO.
Even though it should be some of the Disgaea games as he says it's the greatest jrpg of the last gen
(if people consider Demon's Souls a JRPG so it would be it though)

That would explain why you loved Breath of Fire.

As for Final Fantasy XV's world map, that's a lot of mountains.

That would explain the lack of airship. Lots of mountains, high altitudes, thin air; completely unfeasible to be flying an airship in those kind of conditions.

It's a fantasy based on reality so the physics engine just wouldn't cope.

As long as there's eventually some form of fast travel I could really care less about an airship.

It's all about the game.

Ka-pi96 said:
Scoobes said:

That would explain the lack of airship. Lots of mountains, high altitudes, thin air; completely unfeasible to be flying an airship in those kind of conditions.

It's a fantasy based on reality so the physics engine just wouldn't cope.

To add to that, they've got a car. Airships would be kinda outdated considering that.

But airships are in the game.....

Around the Network
sales2099 said:
I have serious doubts a japanese company can make a sandbox as impressive as say GTA5. Let's be honest, Japanese developers aren't known to specialize in this.

They did, shenmue and various jrpgs were the first sandbox games who popuazied the whole thing in the first place. Shenmue has many elements who are more advanced than in gta to this day like talking to people and changing the story telling made in 1999

UncleAlfred said:
vivster said:
UncleAlfred said:

FFS!  There were frickin airships dropping off enemies in real time in the FFXV demonstration.  There can be several fully rendered monsters on the screen at once along with monsters much bigger than an airship. How the hell is this a huge technical challenge for them!?

I think they're honestly trying to find the most gentle and polite way as possible to tell us eventually that there isn't a fully controllable airship in FFXV.

They couldn't even meet the 'challenge' of leaving character switching in the game, which now without it makes combos seem less strategic and more random based on whomever is closest to you.

Ever heard of draw distance? The game is focused on graphics. So unless you want to see huge pop ins, a horizon that is 50m away or a massive graphical downgrade as soon as they board the ship I wouldn't count on it. Welcome to Gen 8 where gameplay is still bound by hardware.

What they might do is make an airship service in hub towns. Essentially a glorified warp point between towns.

It wouldn't be a massive downgrade (slight maybe) because they are already able to have airships in the world along with many other monsters/characters and objects present.  They call it one fully connected game, but the player isn't even going to see everything everywhere they go,  just a lot more than what was possible on past consoles. So what's even the point of the draw distance?  I honestly wouldn't care if there were sudden pop ins or if there were a slight downgrade  in graphical prowess.   That's how important controllable airships are to FF.

It's not about having airships in the game. It is about moving at ridiculous speeds through the world. Any game will have trouble with that. That's why usually flying sims skimp out on complex environements.

The system is just not fast enough to render EVERYTHING in that complex and dynamic world at a certain speed. Look at No Man's Sky. They don't even have to load many assets from the disks since it is all calculated and rendered real time. And even though their graphics are not nearly as complex as FFXV, they have pop ins because they have to limit the draw distance.

To retain the look of the game, any airship you travel in would have to be limited to at least the speed of the car, if not slower. That doesn't really sound like fun.

If you step into the airship and suddenly the world becomes a mushy flat mass it would be a complete break of immersion.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:

If you step into the airship and suddenly the world becomes a mushy flat mass it would be a complete break of immersion.

It's all about the game.

vivster said:
UncleAlfred said:
vivster said:
UncleAlfred said:

FFS!  There were frickin airships dropping off enemies in real time in the FFXV demonstration.  There can be several fully rendered monsters on the screen at once along with monsters much bigger than an airship. How the hell is this a huge technical challenge for them!?

I think they're honestly trying to find the most gentle and polite way as possible to tell us eventually that there isn't a fully controllable airship in FFXV.

They couldn't even meet the 'challenge' of leaving character switching in the game, which now without it makes combos seem less strategic and more random based on whomever is closest to you.

Ever heard of draw distance? The game is focused on graphics. So unless you want to see huge pop ins, a horizon that is 50m away or a massive graphical downgrade as soon as they board the ship I wouldn't count on it. Welcome to Gen 8 where gameplay is still bound by hardware.

What they might do is make an airship service in hub towns. Essentially a glorified warp point between towns.

It wouldn't be a massive downgrade (slight maybe) because they are already able to have airships in the world along with many other monsters/characters and objects present.  They call it one fully connected game, but the player isn't even going to see everything everywhere they go,  just a lot more than what was possible on past consoles. So what's even the point of the draw distance?  I honestly wouldn't care if there were sudden pop ins or if there were a slight downgrade  in graphical prowess.   That's how important controllable airships are to FF.

It's not about having airships in the game. It is about moving at ridiculous speeds through the world. Any game will have trouble with that. That's why usually flying sims skimp out on complex environements.

The system is just not fast enough to render EVERYTHING in that complex and dynamic world at a certain speed. Look at No Man's Sky. They don't even have to load many assets from the disks since it is all calculated and rendered real time. And even though their graphics are not nearly as complex as FFXV, they have pop ins because they have to limit the draw distance.

To retain the look of the game, any airship you travel in would have to be limited to at least the speed of the car, if not slower. That doesn't really sound like fun.

They don't need to render in so much at one time.  I'd  gladly tradeoff the draw distance and number of objects and creatures able to appear in a calculated area for a fully controllable airship.