By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo, DLC, and Amiibo

Are Amiibo physical DLC and are they worth the money?

Yes they are DLC, Yes they're worth it. 41 30.60%

Yes they are DLC, No they aren't worth it. 19 14.18%

No they aren't DLC, Yes they're worth it. 45 33.58%

No they aren't DLC, No t... 5 3.73%

Amiibo are just a cash grab. 8 5.97%

Gotta catch 'em all! 16 11.94%

Total:134
Recycle001 said:

I'm just kind of worried about the Amiibo model in general. Yes over time you will get your monies worth of content through various games(most likely), but how long is it going to be before we see something along the lines of "Your Smash4 series Link Amiibo won't work for unlocking X content in Zelda U, if you choose to use that Amiibo, you get a costume only. But hey! If you buy our Zelda series Link Amiibo you'll get 2 extra dungeons and a bomb bag upgrade!" We're already seeing something similar to this with Mario Party 10 deleting your Smash4 AI data. That's a little fishy since a backup is stored on your Wii U incase the Amiibo data gets corrupted.

I see what you mean, but this just means that Mario Party's amiibo mode will store data on the amiibo. I'm excited to see what that will be, because clearly there's something we don't know about it if it has it's own toy to life data. That's the other part of the amiibo platform, the toy to life aspect, and that's the main incentive to buy more than one amiibo, even different models of the same character. They're not just randomly deleting the data, the toys just don't have space for data from two widely different games. If you were just unlocking the amiibo board mode or a player token (all we know so far), they wouldn't need to store data, so data wouldn't be deleted. So there must be more. We'll need to choose which game we want data for. Do you want your Mario to come to life as a fighter or as a partier? If you want both, get another Amiibo. I take the new series as a good thing. Now if I want I can have a Mario Smasher Amiibo and a Mario Partier Amiibo, and the different figurine will make it so I don't have to buy the same figure twice. Of course, I could easily switch the Amiibos and train the Mario series Amiibo to Smash and the Smash series Amiibo to party, but I won't. I suspect the Smash data will be much more valuable to me, so when Super Mario Universe or whatever comes out and needs it's own Amiibo for something, I'll kill the Partier Amiibo data because I doubt I'll care. That's in theory though. In reality I'm personally not interested in any characters featured in both series because I don't main any Mario characters in Smash, so I need not worry, but if I did main one, that's how I'd handle it. This does mean consumers would spend more on two different looking Amiibos of the same character, but it's up to Nintendo to demonstrate that the additional toy to life data is worth another Amiibo. It'd be nice if you could use the same individual figurine for multiple games, but the only reason it works that way for Skylanders is that all the Skylanders games are the same and can use the same data while Smash and Mario Party could never use the same data as they're different genres of game altogether. Perhaps this sort of technical limitation will be overcome in the future, but I'm not waiting on it just to save $13.

Around the Network
Ruler said:

Disney infinity figures look worse

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=U19E90Qatps

They also have a mandatory hook to them. These don't.

They are DLC. But they will become valuable to me. once the card versions come out. I'd rather just buy a set of that. Then I can get all the unlocks easier.

Jim Sterling made a video on the topic and I pretty much agree with everything he said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIaIbkpMjho

I like Nintendo's approach with DLC. They haven't been screwing over their customers in any way. Though I think the Hyrule Warriors DLC should be in the $10-15 range.

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

Around the Network
Recycle001 said:

A lot has been said lately about the quality of Nintendo DLC and how they are doing DLC right. The amount of content you get for the price is pretty incredible. Lets look at the Mario Kart 8 DLC: $11.99 gets you 16 new tracks, and 6 playable characters*edit* as well as 8 new karts. Jesus Nintendo, that comes close to doubling the content of my game for a little over 1/6th the price.

The Mario kart 8 dlc price to content ratio is just insane (in a good way), and then you've got turtle rock studios (evolve) valuing one playable character at $15.

I personally look at Amiibo as a 'fun' way to release DLC. It's not a bad deal if you actually like the figures but if you are buying them for the extra content, it's basically physical DLC. (Expensive DLC at that)

I have no problem with Amiibo although I'm not interested. Then again, I'm a supporter of regular DLC too.

DLC --> DownLoadable Content.
I don't see how physical characters can be Downloadable Content.
Extra content, addons? Mayby.

Great!

I have pre-ordered all 6 classic series Amiibo.

But I am not sure what to do...with the super smash bros series.

I cannot keep all of them no space and not sure I want to start collecting them all.

Games + games limited edition (sealed copy) are already a big enough cost!

Switch!!!

Can you buy the Amiibo DLC separately?