By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Holographic Minecraft First Look

binary solo said:

If in marketing they persist in calling it an holographic image, then yes that would be false advertising. Of course the product name "HoloLens" is a non-word that only implies holograms. So that isn't false advertising

hologram
[ ˈhäləˌgram, ˈhōlə- ]
NOUN
noun: hologram · plural noun: holograms
    a three-dimensional image formed by the interference of light beams from a laser or other coherent light source.
    • a photograph of an interference pattern that, when suitably illuminated, produces a three-dimensional image.

Powered by OxfordDictionaries · © Oxford University Press
Since we needed a definition. 

The question is, how do the lenses on the HoloLens device work?  Are they a pass-thru LCD, or something different.  Based on previously published patents, Microsoft worked out a way to send beams of light down into a lens.  If this is the technology they're using with the HoloLens device, and it's forming three-dimensional images, which they appear to be, then it's a hologram and by extension holographic.

Around the Network
Adinnieken said:
Euphoria14 said:

Ever played Minecraft? No way in the world would that game function with voice controls alone. It NEEDS a controller.

Why, because it currently uses a non-NUI interface?

About 20 years ago someone might have said, "You can never get Doom to run as a Windows app", but when Microsoft was beta testing DirectX for Windows 95, that's exactly what they did.  Trust me, people said you couldn't because certainly at that time you couldn't.  Not without an updated API.

Almost anything is possible with the right programmer and the right design choices.  Sayiing it can't be done, or it needs this or that means you're limiting yourself to the design choices a programmer made based on what capabilities the hardware and software offered him or her at that moment in time. 

Why is it impossible to use voice controls or gesture controls?  I haven't played the game first hand, but I've watched it being played and there wasn't anything to Minecraft that was so complex that it couldn't be converted to a voice or gesture control.

"Move forward, stop, dig, dig, dig, dig, stop, turn left, dig, dig, dig, stop, dig, turn left, dig, move forward, dig, turn left, dig, turn left, dig, turn left, dig" Keep it going until you dig a 30x30 area.

Good luck. Then figure out how to drop a crafting table, then make torches, light the room you built 40 blocks under the ground via long ass tedious voice controls then prepare it as a base to continue your pursuit underground.

Now go above ground and test your luck building a gigantic castle surrounded by a 200x400 wall, 12 blocks high surrounding your town that you are yourself built. While you're at it build floating islands that lead up to a castle in the sky on a 100x100 landmass that you also needed to take the time to build, starting with a 1x1 block, climbing 30+ levels before you began branching it out to this 100x100 mass before then going back and destroying the 1x1 pillar you created just to reach high enough to build that 100x100 mass. Remember though, after doing all that, build a castle.

With a controller my 5 year old daughter would have done in 30-60 minute, likely even less, all while you're looking like an ass talking to your TV set and taking a life time.

Been playing this game with my 5 year old for well over a year now by the way, so I know what i'm talking about.

Even played it tonight with a VGC member, although to be 100% honest I am not sure of his name.

We spent around 30 minutes building a castle, on the ground. It was only 1 floor, with 4 towers. Try that with stupid voice controls with 4 players working together at the same exact time and needing to quickly remove and replace blocks, lol.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

It looks cool, no doubt, but I remember the Kinect commercials and "milo" and none of that was delivered besides party games and dance alongs. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

Adinnieken said:
binary solo said:

If in marketing they persist in calling it an holographic image, then yes that would be false advertising. Of course the product name "HoloLens" is a non-word that only implies holograms. So that isn't false advertising

hologram
[ ˈhäləˌgram, ˈhōlə- ]  
NOUN
noun: hologram · plural noun: holograms
    a three-dimensional image formed by the interference of light beams from a laser or other coherent light source.
    • a photograph of an interference pattern that, when suitably illuminated, produces a three-dimensional image.

Powered by OxfordDictionaries · © Oxford University Press
Since we needed a definition. 

The question is, how do the lenses on the HoloLens device work?  Are they a pass-thru LCD, or something different.  Based on previously published patents, Microsoft worked out a way to send beams of light down into a lens.  If this is the technology they're using with the HoloLens device, and it's forming three-dimensional images, which they appear to be, then it's a hologram and by extension holographic.

Actually having read a bit more it seems like they are using holographic waveguide optics, or something similar. So I take it back, it seems likely that they are using holograhic technology. 

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Deja vu anyone? Project natal comes to mind...

Proudest Platinums - BF: Bad Company, Killzone 2 , Battlefield 3 and GTA4

Around the Network

For now, it's just a concept, nothing proves it will works like this, every time, new technologies in video game are far to be as good as what is promised. ( wiimote( before +), first kinect( remember project natal, everyone was like " wow, so amazing" and it was just a gadget at the end, we had to wait for the second kinect to start to reach the promised concept) ,.. )

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m

Euphoria14 said:

"Move forward, stop, dig, dig, dig, dig, stop, turn left, dig, dig, dig, stop, dig, turn left, dig, move forward, dig, turn left, dig, turn left, dig, turn left, dig" Keep it going until you dig a 30x30 area.

Good luck. Then figure out how to drop a crafting table, then make torches, light the room you built 40 blocks under the ground via long ass tedious voice controls then prepare it as a base to continue your pursuit underground.

Now go above ground and test your luck building a gigantic castle surrounded by a 200x400 wall, 12 blocks high surrounding your town that you are yourself built. While you're at it build floating islands that lead up to a castle in the sky on a 100x100 landmass that you also needed to take the time to build, starting with a 1x1 block, climbing 30+ levels before you began branching it out to this 100x100 mass before then going back and destroying the 1x1 pillar you created just to reach high enough to build that 100x100 mass. Remember though, after doing all that, build a castle.

With a controller my 5 year old daughter would have done in 30-60 minute, likely even less, all while you're looking like an ass talking to your TV set and taking a life time.

Been playing this game with my 5 year old for well over a year now by the way, so I know what i'm talking about.

Even played it tonight with a VGC member, although to be 100% honest I am not sure of his name.

We spent around 30 minutes building a castle, on the ground. It was only 1 floor, with 4 towers. Try that with stupid voice controls with 4 players working together at the same exact time and needing to quickly remove and replace blocks, lol.

Yes, you've been playing a game confined to a 2D space within a 3D enviornment on a TV screen. 

Now, open that game up to a 3D space, a room, and make it a 3D enviornment.  You don't need to make the game move.  You just need to physically go where you need to be.  When assembling a huge LEGO set, do you move the set?  No, it's too big.  You go to where you need to assemble and you do what you need to do.

You want to make a cloud up in the sky?  Fine, look up and place your blocks where you you want them!  You can move around your environment and your game is right there.  Start building that castle on top of Fluffy, your cat.  When you come back to the game, regardless of whether Fluffy is still there your castle will be where you left it. 

Read the Engadget article for his impressions on this.  Again, your imagination is limited by the environment and the output and input medium. 

I'm going to assume that there will be opportunities where HoloLens will be usable in conjunction with the Xbox One and a controller, where applicable and necessary.  I kind of think HoloLens is Microsoft's answer to the 3DS, to be honest.  Certainly it's more than gaming, but why not?  Why not be able to make a video call using Skype to your workplace while you're stuck in traffic to join a meeting that you're late for?  Or while you're running to get your flight to Europe pull-up your gate info?  Then when you have an opportunity to relax, pull up a movie, listen to music, or play a game.

This looks amazing!

Adinnieken said:
Euphoria14 said:

Yes, you've been playing a game confined to a 2D space within a 3D enviornment on a TV screen. 

Now, open that game up to a 3D space, a room, and make it a 3D enviornment.  You don't need to make the game move.  You just need to physically go where you need to be.  When assembling a huge LEGO set, do you move the set?  No, it's too big.  You go to where you need to assemble and you do what you need to do.

You want to make a cloud up in the sky?  Fine, look up and place your blocks where you you want them!  You can move around your environment and your game is right there.  Start building that castle on top of Fluffy, your cat.  When you come back to the game, regardless of whether Fluffy is still there your castle will be where you left it. 

Read the Engadget article for his impressions on this.  Again, your imagination is limited by the environment and the output and input medium. 

I'm going to assume that there will be opportunities where HoloLens will be usable in conjunction with the Xbox One and a controller, where applicable and necessary.  I kind of think HoloLens is Microsoft's answer to the 3DS, to be honest.  Certainly it's more than gaming, but why not?  Why not be able to make a video call using Skype to your workplace while you're stuck in traffic to join a meeting that you're late for?  Or while you're running to get your flight to Europe pull-up your gate info?  Then when you have an opportunity to relax, pull up a movie, listen to music, or play a game.

I get what you're saying but your idea will still be a different game. Minecraft in the way it was created and meant to be doesn't work like a Lego set on a table. For creative where you have no need to venture underground it might find some purpose, but in a co-op survival mode it will definitely not. I would also like to see what happens if you decide to dig underground. Do you have everything vanish and see a 1x1 tunnel downwards and blackness all over the rest of the room? 

It has nothing to do with me having a limited imagination. It's about me playing this game for years and knowing that gesture and voice alone cannot make it work outside of maybe creative mode when playing alone. 

As I said, I would like to see them display how it will work properly, but honestly I just do not see how it can. 

I think gaming wise it is just like Kinect. It has very limited potential in the gaming space. This device it meant for outside of gaming.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

So just augmented reality in the form of goggles? The videos/image they are showing are very fictitious. I like the idea of AR but not sure how practical it really is for most things.

Hmm, pie.