By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Ways Nintendo can boost WiiU sales

I think I may have said this before, but IMO Nintendo needs to do the following (numbered for reference, not preference ;)):

1)Improve their online features, to be more in line with PS4 and XB1.
2)Focus on making games the way they're doing Splatoon, going outside of their comfort zone.
3)Invent new IPs that appeal to a wide variety of gamers, more targeted towards the PS4 audience.

4)Upgrade the system's capacity or bundle a bigger HDD with Wii U.

5)Nintendo also needs to milk their lesser known IPs a bit more, maybe make new games using characters they haven't in their own games before.
Creating a proper lore behind those characters that gamers can really sink their teeth into.

6)Create a forum to get ideas from their fanbase and gamers in general or perhaps have a team of staff that lurk around various gaming forums to get new ideas that they can build on.

7)Poach indie teams for new talent to create new studios and actually build an identity for those teams like Sony has done with Naughty Dog and their various 1st party studios, that way people will know who to ask when they want more killer games from that studio.

8)Create Nintendo Theme Parks, Film/TV Studios and do what they always should have done by marketing the IPs fully with Mario, Zelda, Starfox, Metroid and various other movies and TV shows based around those characters, failing that partner with Disney or some other huge company (Dreamworks, Universal or 20th Century Fox) and have them make movies or TV Shows based around those Nintendo IPs and make sure Nintendo's name is plastered all over it.

9)Market Wii U, with a decent price drop and bundles and actually put adverts on mainstream TV for the system and it's current library and future line-up of games incoming.

10)Do more Directs, with Wii U as the focus and for their biggest games perhaps hold a direct that is aired on national TV, with a major celebrity as the host, someone who is very entertaining and preferably a gamer, with a cool image.

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:
Pokemon MMO = Wii U saved imo

I know right ;) what are they waiting for??? @ least something new is coming on the Pokemon front with Namco's Pokken!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n29CicBxZuw

01001011 01101001 01110011 01110011 00100000 01101101 01111001 00100000 01110011 01101000 01101001 01101110 01111001 00100000 01101101 01100101 01110100 01100001 01101100 00100000 01100001 01110011 01110011 00100001

More came to mind:

11)Oh yeah make a Pokemon Open World RPG, with full Amiibo support between New 3DS and Wii U.
12)Create a Wii U, New 3DS/XL bundle and capitalize on the release of the new handheld by selling more Wii Us along with it.
13)Create a new IP like Kingdom Hearts, but with a tonne of Nintendo's Characters, a new lead character that goes on an adventure across the Nintendo Universe.

14)Make HD remakes of beloved old Nintendo games.

15)Get some awesome exclusive indies and bundle them on disc.

Not much. They've been advertising the Wii U a lot in the past few months and it hasn't really helped. The only thing which could help is a big price cut.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

Game_God said:
shikamaru317 said:
Pokemon MMO = Wii U saved imo

I know right ;) what are they waiting for??? @ least something new is coming on the Pokemon front with Namco's Pokken!!!

I totally agree with this, make it a reasonable yearly subscription deal so it's affordable for people of all ages and options for cross play between Wii U and New 3DS and that would bring in the revenue.

Failing that a decent Free 2 Play model, with no P2W.

Nintendo could even do a Destiny style release every few years, with DLC to buy every year, people would lap it up seeing Pokemon in a huge open 3D world.

Make a 3DS version too and allow cross play between that and all current Nintendo systems.

Around the Network

JustBeingReal said:

10)Do more Directs, with Wii U as the focus and for their biggest games perhaps hold a direct that is aired on national TV, with a major celebrity as the host, someone who is very entertaining and preferably a gamer, with a cool image.

More came to mind:

11)Oh yeah make a Pokemon Open World RPG, with full Amiibo support between New 3DS and Wii U.
12)Create a Wii U, New 3DS/XL bundle and capitalize on the release of the new handheld by selling more Wii Us along with it.
13)Create a new IP like Kingdom Hearts, but with a tonne of Nintendo's Characters, a new lead character that goes on an adventure across the Nintendo Universe.

14)Make HD remakes of beloved old Nintendo games.

15)Get some awesome exclusive indies and bundle them on disc.

10) this would be expensive as hell, 40 min. of national TV??? 1 min of publicity on national TV can cost millions, I can only imagine 40 min.

13) this actually is a great idea, done well by Square under Nintendo supervision it would be a MegaTon!!!

01001011 01101001 01110011 01110011 00100000 01101101 01111001 00100000 01110011 01101000 01101001 01101110 01111001 00100000 01101101 01100101 01110100 01100001 01101100 00100000 01100001 01110011 01110011 00100001

What I have is advice for everyone who thinks they're being clever and insightful with threads like this:

1. Actually bring up topics that are creative and unique

2. Stop thinking so simplistically and patronizingly

3. Stop acting like you can gauge Nintendo like every other company, because history proves otherwise

4. Stop making these junk topics. Find something else to do

Game_God said:

Monster Hunter Tri for the Wii sold more outside of Japan & MH Tri Ultimate sold about 740 000 ouside of Japan wich is not bad for a re-release!

MH defintly is more Japan oriented, but it doesn't mean it can not pull good numbers in the rest of the world.

Most of all, it's about perception, having this kind of games exclusives on Nintendo systems sends a strong message to Japanese game companies, they are likely to bet more on Nintendo consoles if they feel it is where the market share & gamers are going!

Keep Dragon Quest on Nintendo consoles & the possiblity of other games that have been avoiding Nintendo platforms, to come back increases.

Buying these companies could/should start a shift of focus from 3rd party companies.

Yea but you have to remember that Japan is very handheld centric... So it makes sense as to why if you combine two regions, it will outsell Japan but even then, its just bearly... ~1 million sales when you combine two regions is not exactly a good thing considering what many other games can do in only one region. In virtually all other cases, comparativly, Japan has sold a shit ton more than both regions combined hence why it is mainly Japan that will get excited and hardly anyone else. If MH5 gets announced for the wiiU at e3 exclusively, almost no one in the west will buy a wiiU for that game but Japan will line up for days in order to buy a wiiU and that game.

And I doubt its about perception since MH as well as a few other games have been Nintendo exclusive for a while now but that didn't really do much at all. And I doubt other games will come to Nintendo consoles cause again, MH has been Nintendo exclusive for a while now as well as a few other games. Nintendo is even doing plenty of deals with many other companies but you don't see those companies releasing other games on the wiiU that isn't funded by Nintendo...

And again, I also doubt it will do that either. All buying Capcom will do is just waste a ton of money with a return investment that is no where to be found. So instead of wasting tons of money, all they should do is secure the IPs they want and bam, they get the exclusives without spending a whack ton of money buying companies which has some benefits as well as lots of downsides

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:
Game_God said:

Monster Hunter Tri for the Wii sold more outside of Japan & MH Tri Ultimate sold about 740 000 ouside of Japan wich is not bad for a re-release!

MH defintly is more Japan oriented, but it doesn't mean it can not pull good numbers in the rest of the world.

Most of all, it's about perception, having this kind of games exclusives on Nintendo systems sends a strong message to Japanese game companies, they are likely to bet more on Nintendo consoles if they feel it is where the market share & gamers are going!

Keep Dragon Quest on Nintendo consoles & the possiblity of other games that have been avoiding Nintendo platforms, to come back increases.

Buying these companies could/should start a shift of focus from 3rd party companies.

Yea but you have to remember that Japan is very handheld centric... So it makes sense as to why if you combine two regions, it will outsell Japan but even then, its just bearly... ~1 million sales when you combine two regions is not exactly a good thing considering what many other games can do in only one region. In virtually all other cases, comparativly, Japan has sold a shit ton more than both regions combined hence why it is mainly Japan that will get excited and hardly anyone else. If MH5 gets announced for the wiiU at e3 exclusively, almost no one in the west will buy a wiiU for that game but Japan will line up for days in order to buy a wiiU and that game.

And I doubt its about perception since MH as well as a few other games have been Nintendo exclusive for a while now but that didn't really do much at all. And I doubt other games will come to Nintendo consoles cause again, MH has been Nintendo exclusive for a while now as well as a few other games. Nintendo is even doing plenty of deals with many other companies but you don't see those companies releasing other games on the wiiU that isn't funded by Nintendo...

And again, I also doubt it will do that either. All buying Capcom will do is just waste a ton of money with a return investment that is no where to be found. So instead of wasting tons of money, all they should do is secure the IPs they want and bam, they get the exclusives without spending a whack ton of money buying companies which has some benefits as well as lots of downsides

I was taking in account my previous posts too, where I said that Nintendo should buy Level 5, Platinum & Capcom.

Only MH is not enough an exclusive to generate a focus shift from other 3rd parties, but with all Level 5 IPs, Platinum IPs, Capcom IPs & workforce working & coming out exclusively for Nintendo platforms, i think this would be a game changer. No more of these games for PS or XBox or PC.

I don't think Nintendo will ever do so, the way you described: "all they should do is secure the IPs they want and bam, they get the exclusives without spending a whack ton of money buying companies" is a good tactic too ;)

VanceIX said:
Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:

You do know that they can't just buy Capcom right? Like, Capcom costs a lot of money and there are many things to consider when buying a company...

LIES! Nintendo will buy Capcom, Sega, and Sony to start the Japanese Trinity and usher in a new golden age for video games!

Sorry Capcom and Sony but the Triforce has already been set.  The Triforce was Nintendo's Arcade hardware.