By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS2 Emulation Megagamer Superior Race

outlawauron said:

Question for those who emulate, are the programs compatible with legit PS2 saves? i would probably do it if I could carry over  my existing PS2 saves that I have.

I haven't investigated that but I think there is no way to connect PS2 memory cards to PC. But if your PS2 has a hard drive then it could be possible but I'm not sure.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

Around the Network
walsufnir said:

Perhaps I should've said "not necessarily", yes. Thing is clockspeed doesn't really improve (at least on x86 or x64) since many years, yet the performance increased a lot due to new architectures, more cache, smt, new instructions and so on. That's why I said speed in general so that people who overclock a core 2 duo to high speeds think this would be enough (although it could) or would outdo a more modern cpu just because of the higher clockspeed.

Yeah, I just wanted to make it clear that emulation doesn't require hardware like PC gaming does, and one should not assume that just because their mobile i7 or i5 clocked at 2 ghz can play any PC game, that it will emulate sixth generation consoles well. It doesn't matter how good the IPC is, 2ghz is just not enough to emulate certain games that require a lot of raw cpu power, and the reason why their CPU can play PC games well is because it takes advantage of the extra cores/threads. Clockspeed is important, it is just not the only important thing to consider (instructions per cycle is also important.) 

outlawauron said:
spemanig said:
SNES was the best console and SNES games were the best console games "hands down."

Carry on.

Question for those who emulate, are the programs compatible with legit PS2 saves? i would probably do it if I could carry over  my existing PS2 saves that I have.

I'm thinking you'll have to have homebrew on your PS2 in order to get the saves as that is how it works with Wii/GC. 

Dolphin actually uses multiple cores. Still some games eat up CPU power. So some just run fine with my older mobile i7, others can go down to 25-30fps.

To bad F-Zero GX is one of them.

captain carot said:
Dolphin actually uses multiple cores. Still some games eat up CPU power. So some just run fine with my older mobile i7, others can go down to 25-30fps.

To bad F-Zero GX is one of them.

Dolphin mostly uses 2 cores. If you use LLE you can have the audio on a third core to free up processes for graphics. That's it. I'm pretty sure PCSX2 is similar.  The reason why you see all cores being used in Task Manager, is because OS schedulers will evenly distribute the processes on all cores if you have extra cores, but no core will ever reach anywhere near 100% usage (usually something like 25% usage per thread for a quad-core with four threads, and less for six/eight threaded processor.) 

Around the Network
m0ney said:
outlawauron said:

I haven't investigated that but I think there is no way to connect PS2 memory cards to PC. But if your PS2 has a hard drive then it could be possible but I'm not sure.

I already have the saves on my PC. I have a memory card adapter on my launch PS3. I just want to know if the files will work on an emulator.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

outlawauron said:
m0ney said:
outlawauron said:

I already have the saves on my PC. I have a memory card adapter on my launch PS3. I just want to know if the files will work on an emulator.

In that case, it seems like it is possible according to the PCSX2 wiki. I'm unsure whether you'll need the progam "myMC" or not, according to the description it is vague about that. 

http://wiki.pcsx2.net/index.php/Memcard

The PCSX2 emulator stores memory card information in the memcards subfolder of your PCSX2 configuration folder. Following the PS2's 2-card format the emulator names both memcards Mcd001.ps2 and Mcd002.ps2, which use the emulator's native .ps2 file format. Similarly these files are also around 8 MB in size just like the physical Sony PS2 memory cards.

Currently most PS2 memcard functions are emulated and considered usable.

sc94597 said:
outlawauron said:

In that case, it seems like it is possible according to the PCSX2 wiki. I'm unsure whether you'll need the progam "myMC" or not, according to the description it is vague about that. 

http://wiki.pcsx2.net/index.php/Memcard

The PCSX2 emulator stores memory card information in the memcards subfolder of your PCSX2 configuration folder. Following the PS2's 2-card format the emulator names both memcards Mcd001.ps2 and Mcd002.ps2, which use the emulator's native .ps2 file format. Similarly these files are also around 8 MB in size just like the physical Sony PS2 memory cards.

Currently most PS2 memcard functions are emulated and considered usable.

Thanks for the help. I'm going to try it out some when I get home.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

m0ney said:
ishiki said:
why play the PS2 version of Deus Ex, ZOMG

Because it's the better version - better interface and controls. I play it with my wireless Dualshock 3, know what I mean? Controller > kboard+mouse.

you're in the minority but okay. 

the areas are chopped into, and lighting was pretty much taken away.

But if for some reason you like controllers then yeah.

pbroy said:
Gonna have to check this out. PS2 was RPG heaven. Would like to see how they look with better graphics.

But the graphics would be the same. I think you meant resolution.