By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Should Nintendo's next console be a microconsole?

No, that would be a dumb move, at least for a new Mainstream console.

If however they would do something more in the line of the Retron 5, meaning a purebreed retro console additionally to their next console, then yes because that could be really interesting.

Around the Network

NO. And they won't.

I still think that their best option if to create a handheld/home console hybrid. What the collective sales of Nintendo products each generation has shown is that Nintendo is very consistent in their total sales (except for 7th generation), it is just that their share of people on handheld vs. home console varies. Combining the two might prove highly succesful, and it would also cater to the micro console concept that the OP refers to.

Puppyroach said:
I still think that their best option if to create a handheld/home console hybrid. What the collective sales of Nintendo products each generation has shown is that Nintendo is very consistent in their total sales (except for 7th generation), it is just that their share of people on handheld vs. home console varies. Combining the two might prove highly succesful, and it would also cater to the micro console concept that the OP refers to.

^^^This.

The only "microconsole" Nintendo is making is the "HDS."

What this guy is suggesting is the equivalent of, instead of releasing the Wii U, Nintendo released a "microconsole" that was slightly stronger than the already underpowered Wii called the WiiDS, shared a library with the 3DS, could play all those 3DS games at 1080p 60fps on the TV, and costed $150.

Yeah. People would have gone absolutely nuts for that.

fuck no i rather it be portable than a microconsole.

Around the Network

It might not be a bad idea to do a microconsole as a 3rd pillar to their handheld and their home console. Something cheap which plays virtual console and indie games.

bowserthedog said:

It might not be a bad idea to do a microconsole as a 3rd pillar to their handheld and their home console. Something cheap which plays virtual console and indie games.

...Or they can just have you buy the handheld, since they're sharing a library.

If Vita TV with all its functionalities couldn't make a big splash I doubt Nintendo and their backwards hardware decisions can

Cobretti2 said:
fuck no i rather it be portable than a microconsole.

You'll be able to buy the portable variant if that's what you want. 

You just won't be able to play the games in 1080P on your TV though is my guess if you only buy the handheld version.  

It's like iPhone-iPad ... Apple's not putting a gun to anyone's head saying you have to have both. 

Some people choose to have both, some people just want one or the other. Apple doesn't care, they win either way. Both run the same apps and have a similar chipset. iPad has a higher resolution display and some more horsepower/RAM.

No.