By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Should Nintendo's next console be a microconsole?

zorg1000 said:
small44 said:
After the failure of ps tv no

Like I have asked others in this thread, does the Vita TV have the big franchises with potential to sell over 10 million like Mario, Pokemon, Animal Crossing, Smash Bros, Mario Kart?

At $150 with a high volume software output, a Nintendo microconsole has potential to do well, gauranteed to sell vastly higher than Vita TV.

It will sell more then pstv due to big franchises but will still selling bad

PS4 - over 100 millions let's say 120m
Xbox One - 70m
Wii U - 25m

Vita - 15m if it will not get Final Fantasy Kingdoms Heart and Monster Hunter 20m otherwise
3DS - 80m

Around the Network
spemanig said:
zorg1000 said:

Yep that is what I'm suggesting and it would have been a more profitable route than Wii U in its current state.

No, it wouldn't have. It would make the Wii U look like the PS2 by comparison.

More like Wii, but that's besides the point, price+library is more important than graphics for the non-AAA blockbuster fanbase. The more profitable part comes from Nintendo being able to pump out more games by having all development being focused on one central platform and not having a console sell at a loss.

Wouldn't 3D World, Tropical Freeze, Mario Kart 8 have sold much better by being on 3DS+3DS TV instead of being confined to the small install base of Wii U? Lower budget+higher sales=more profit per game. Also games like Smash Bros would be able to release much sooner if they didn't have to make 2 seperate games simultaneously.

A Vita TV costs $99, $129 with a controller+memory card+game. A TV version of 3DS could easily retail for the same or even lower. A $99 3DS TV with a controller+a bundled game like NSMB, that allows Nintendo to pump out more games at a faster rate for 3DS would be more profitable for Nintendo than a $299 console sold at a loss with low software sales and splits development up between two seperate platforms causing software droughts for each device.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

A microconsole? No. I would want a handheld with hdmi out.

Riverstyx said:

It's probably in Nintendo's best interest to have two seperate devices than to have a single device act as both.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:

More like Wii, but that's besides the point, price+library is more important than graphics for the non-AAA blockbuster fanbase. The more profitable part comes from Nintendo being able to pump out more games by having all development being focused on one central platform and not having a console sell at a loss.

Wouldn't 3D World, Tropical Freeze, Mario Kart 8 have sold much better by being on 3DS+3DS TV instead of being confined to the small install base of Wii U? Lower budget+higher sales=more profit per game. Also games like Smash Bros would be able to release much sooner if they didn't have to make 2 seperate games simultaneously.

A Vita TV costs $99, $129 with a controller+memory card+game. A TV version of 3DS could easily retail for the same or even lower. A $99 3DS TV with a controller+a bundled game like NSMB, that allows Nintendo to pump out more games at a faster rate for 3DS would be more profitable for Nintendo than a $299 console sold at a loss with low software sales and splits development up between two seperate platforms causing software droughts for each device.

...I was talking about success, not power. The failure of what you're talking about would make the Wii U look like it was the best selling console in the world. That's how bad it would do. Struggling to reach 1m in it's first year, bad.

They would have literally only sold on the 3DS, because no one but you would have bought the 3DS TV. No one wants that product. There is no market for it. They'd have lost a shit ton of money from all the R&D they wasted launching a product destined to fail monumentally worse than the Wii U has as their "next gen" console, and that's saying a lot.

The Vita TV has no market. 60K in the US so far. 60K. It didn't fail because the Vita failed; it failed because NO ONE WANTS A MICRO CONSOLE. No one wants to play a game that looks like Mario Kart Wii again on the TV in 2015. In order for it to be profitable, people would need to buy it first. No one will buy a cheap TV plug in handheld. People except the 3DS' lack of power because, and only because, it's a handheld.

Nintendo would absolutely still have a shared library with a $299 console. There wouldn't be low software sales. Same shared library, much more powerful tech. That tech allows for exclusive benefits only the console version has while the handheld would have exclusive features that suit portables better, like Street Pass and such.

But the only place you'll ever see a Nintendo microconsole is in your dreams. Nintendo isn't making a move that unfixably bad, especially not after the Wii U.

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
Riverstyx said:

It's probably in Nintendo's best interest to have two seperate devices than to have a single device act as both.

I feel Nintendo would have a much easier time supporting one console instead of two. Especially if they're going to continue to go on without third party support in the future. Also since they would only make handheld games, the games would be less graphically demanding, and games would be released at a faster rate.

Riverstyx said:
zorg1000 said:
Riverstyx said:

I feel Nintendo would have a much easier time supporting one console instead of two. Especially if they're going to continue to go on without third party support in the future. Also since they would only make handheld games, the games would be less graphically demanding, and games would be released at a faster rate.

The support would be the same since the console version would essentially be the same hardware as the handheld. Two seperate devices with the same hardware and software as one another.

zorg1000 said:
Riverstyx said:
zorg1000 said:
Riverstyx said:

The support would be the same since the console version would essentially be the same hardware as the handheld. Two seperate devices with the same hardware and software as one another.

I'm talking about just one device.

Riverstyx said:
zorg1000 said:
Riverstyx said:
zorg1000 said:
Riverstyx said:

PSP/PSP Go is the ultimate device that Nintendo should copy.  It can play on the go, or dock it and play on the big screen with a Dualshock 3 controller.  One device to rule them all.

V-r0cK said:
Riverstyx said:
zorg1000 said:
Riverstyx said:
zorg1000 said:
Riverstyx said:

PSP/PSP Go is the ultimate device that Nintendo should copy.  It can play on the go, or dock it and play on the big screen with a Dualshock 3 controller.  One device to rule them all.

Or you could play on sony's other platform. The ps3.