By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Prediction: Nintendo will release the "4DS" around March/April 2017

In October 1998, Nintendo updated the original Game Boy with the Game Boy Color, an improved piece of hardware with the same base as the Game Boy. It was replaced by the GBA in March 2001, 29 months later. The DSi, released on November 1, 2008 as an upgrade for the DS, was suceeded by the 3DS in late February 2011, about 28 months later. That is remarkably similar to the prior period. Recently, in October 2014, the New Nintendo 3DS was released. If the pattern continues, the next Nintendo handheld, here referred to as the "4DS" for lack of a better name, will be released in 2017, likely sometime after January and before June. This would give the 3DS a lifespan of about six years, just a few months less than the 3DS. The 3DS line should sell at least 75 million units lifetime, especially if the New 3DS models catch on in the West.

Hardware Predictions

• Nintendo will likely try to launch the 4DS for a price of around $200, especially after the $250 3DS launch fiasco. If for some reason Nintendo has problems keeping prices low, they might try to have a "Wii U" style release with a basic $200 model, possibly without an SD Card or something like that, as well as a "Deluxe" $250 bundle, which would include some extra goodies.
  • The last two generations, Nintendo emphasized input, as expressed via touchscreen controls, and then output, as emphasized by the 3D effect. I suspect Nintendo will try to push input as a new key feature once again. Though screens will definitely be at higher resolutions than before, we can at least expect the C-stick and extra shoulder buttons of the New 3DS to stick around.
  • The 4DS will likely be a powerhouse compared to even the Vita. In the same way the 3DS can approach Wii graphics at points, the 4DS will pressure Wii U developers to push the system to its fullest. The 4DS will likely have around 2 GB of RAM and a CPU and GPU at least on par with the PS360, notably ahead of the Vita.
  • Based on the resolution increase from the GBA to the DS and then to the 3DS, the total screen resolution of the 4DS will increased by about 2.5 times or slightly more. This would likely make the top screen 600 pixels wide and 360 pixels tall while the bottom is 480 by 360.
  • The 4DS will likely support SDXC cards, with up to 2 TB of storage possible, or microSD cards, with upwards of 128 GB of capacity.
  • An emphasis will be made on using similar architecture as the Wii U's successor, which will likely come out in 2018. The 4DS will also probably be backwards compatible with 3DS retail and digital games, though DS games may get overlooked.
  • 4DS multimedia and social features will at least be on par with the Wii U's and will likely surpass them as Nintendo's next console comes out.

Software Predictions

• Though Nintendo will of course support their next system, the question is which other developers will remain on board? Out of the big names in gaming, I expect Capcom, Level-5, Sega, Atlus, and Square Enix to be the biggest 3DS supporters. Monster Hunter 5 being released on the 4DS, at least as one of multiple platforms, is likely, Level-5's Youkai Watch seems to be a big new franchise in Japan for the near future, Sega's handheld games are the only thing other than Yakuza keeping them relevant in Japan, and Atlus has a long history on Nintendo handhelds.
  • Square Enix is the enigma of the group, but their release of Bravely Default, Kingdom Hearts 3D, and Dragon Quest on the 3DS suggests that they will at least give the 4DS a shot of some sort. Nintendo's recent cooperation with Koei Tecmo and Bandai Namco is notable, but still developing.
  • Indie support of the 4DS will likely start weak, but gain momentum with the release of the next Nintendo console. Since the two platforms are planned to be intertwined, codevelopment for them should be alluring to more devs.
  • Nintendo themselves will naturally support the 4DS fairly well, especially comparing the Wii U's success to that of the 3DS. If anything, I expect the Wii U's last year or so to be limited by 4DS support.
  • Looking at the early 4DS lineup, Nintendo EAD is probably already working on Mario Kart 9. If Animal Crossing isn't released for the Wii U soon, it will probably be released early on for the 4DS. Although Nintendo would be hard-pressed to make a new Zelda quickly, a port of Twilight Princess with help from Grezzo might be a reasonable way to try out the technology like Ocarina of Time 3D did in 2011. A new 2D Mario is a priority, but could possibly be slowed by Mario maker, Pikmin, and other Wii U projects. A new 3D Mario of some sort, presumably heavily using the C-stick in combination with 3D, might already be in the works.
  • Outside of EAD, Intelligent Systems will likely have some major game out within a year. However, between Codename STEAM and the next Fire Emblem, not to mention the likely Paper Mario for Wii U, it will likely be a smaller project of Pushmo scale. Nintendo SPD may likely be working on a third Tomodachi game, especially since Tomodachi Life has already sold over 2 million copies outside of Japan. Camelot will probably have a Mario Sports game ready by mid-2018, even allowing for other 3DS projects.
  • HAL will likely have something Kirby-related out fairly soon, but may aim at the older 3DS market instead like with Mass Attack did in 2011. Game Freak will probably be able to launch Generation 7 of Pokemon before 2017, meaning the first true 4DS Pokemon game likely won't come until at least 2019.

Possible 4DS Release Calendar:

• 2017/Q1 - Mario Kart 9, Koei Warriors title, Ridge Racer
  • 2017/Q2 - Twilight Princess Remake, Kingdom Hearts: 15th Anniversary (We Swear KH3 is Coming Soon) Edition
  • 2017/Q3 - Tomodachi Third, Monster Hunter 5, Persona-related title
  • 2017/Q4 - Super Mario 4D Land, FPS cash-in attempt
  • 2018/Q1 - Mario Tennis, Tales of Something
  • 2018/Q2 - New Super Mario Bros 3, Square Enix spinoff of note in Japan
  • 2018/Q3 - Animal Crossing: Tortimer's Revenge, Etrian Odyssey 5

Notes

• I am actually a bit confident about the early 4DS lineup. It could easily be one of the better ones in Nintendo handheld history, especially if Monster Hunter 5 comes to the platform early on. I'm also curious if we'll start to see more 6th gen console ports, as the 4DS would have the necessary controls to play games even the Vita has trouble with.

I have no idea why I made this thread. The New 3DS just made me think about how the next Nintendo handheld is on the way, and will likely arrive soon.

Love and tolerate.

Around the Network

Just want to say that 4DS is a horrible name.

TheGoldenBoy said:

Considering Nintendo's recent naming thrends, I would rather have 4DS than what they might come up with like 3DS U or New New 3ds or some other nonsense

OT: Yayy, someone else thinks that it won't be 720p! High Five bro! And I also agree with the 2017 release

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

TheGoldenBoy said:

better then the *New* 3DS lol

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

I'd say release of late 2017, and Japan only, with worldwide following next year closer to the next home console, and a marketing push involving features allowed by the similar architectures between the two systems. Aside from that, pretty much what you've said here.

Around the Network

I think that it could be 2017 since i think that it will launch alongside the Wii U successor. But if the Wii U successor comes out in 2018, I say expect it then. I don't think it will be the "fusion" idea people have in mind, but I do think they will share a lot of similarities in architecture allowing for more efficient development as devs for one platform will be able to easily shift to working on the other and so on.

Great predictions/thread, agreed with most of them.

Early 2017 seems to be a good time to release it, plus it'll certainly be 720p. From the software side of things, I also expect them to release some mid-smaller and forgotten games; maybe a new Pilotwings, maybe a Wario game, another free-to-play Steeldiver and Nintendogs.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:
TheGoldenBoy said:

Considering Nintendo's recent naming thrends, I would rather have 4DS than what they might come up with like 3DS U or New New 3ds or some other nonsense

OT: Yayy, someone else thinks that it won't be 720p! High Five bro! And I also agree with the 2017 release

The fourth dimension is time though and unless Dialga or Palkia are real, I just don't how the name fits. I do agree though their recent names have been shit.

Nintendo BS

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

Alt removed - Conegamer