By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Prediction: Nintendo will release the "4DS" around March/April 2017

1. They need to drop the "DS" name line, even IF it is successful and known. They dropped the "Game Boy" line name, and that was far cooler.

2. I have a feeling, though I could be wrong, that we may very well just see the combined "hybrid platform" concept for their next system, meaning they will no longer have a dedicated portable console, but rather, a home console type concept like Wii U has, but with a smaller, sleeker "GamePad" type of device that you actually can take on the go. In other words, doubling as the home and portable consoles, all in one, as the rumors had it awhile back.

On the one hand, it is cool having a dedicated portable system. But on the other hand, part of my would be behind the "unified system", if no other reason than because their first and second party dev teams could put all their focus on one console, with one set of specs. No more "two versions of Smash Bros." and other useless bullshit like that. All of the kinds of games you would normally get, seperated, on a Nintendo home console and a Nintendo portable system in a given generation, would now ALL be on one platform, that you could treat as both a home system played on your TV, as well as a portable system on the go. And that would include main-line Pokemon, etc. that we usually don't see on the home systems, and vice versa. It would also mean that the far healthier third party support that GBA/DS/3DS have seen over the years, would also now be playable at home finally as well, thus meaning their home console had healthy third party support again.

It would mean one system gets twice the games, or rather, that you get the same amount of games, but only have to fork your money out for one console. On the one hand, I could see the argument that Nintendo would be losing the money of having people buy two systems. But on the other hand, if this next console was more successful than the 3DS and Wii U combined in LT sales, then it would certainly be worth it.

So I don't know. I'm fine with them continuing to have separate home and portable systems, though I would prefer they drop the "DS" moniker. But I also see the appeal and possible advantages of having a unified console. So who knows. I still don't think, whatever their next home system is, that we'll see it until 2017. And as for their next NEW portable system (and not just an update like the "New" 3DS)? Who knows. Might be 2016. Or it might just be that unified concept. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

In the meantime, I'd like to still at least get a full slate of Wii U titles in 2015, 2016, and even part of 2017 first. So that I can get my money's worth.

Around the Network

HDS sounds better imo

PwerlvlAmy said:
TheGoldenBoy said:
Just want to say that 4DS is a horrible name.

better then the *New* 3DS lol

That's not a very convincing argument

COUNTER PREDICTION!!!

It'll release in 2016 and they'll try to release it at the same time WW.

TheGoldenBoy said:
PwerlvlAmy said:
TheGoldenBoy said:
Just want to say that 4DS is a horrible name.

better then the *New* 3DS lol

That's not a very convincing argument

it is too D:

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

Around the Network

If the handheld does have doublescreen and touchscreen, I expect a NDS and 3DS eShop. I still can't believe Nintendo isn't selling its massive DS library in any digital way.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

I think it will be out sooner than that and signs are pointing to this already.

Iwata said it would take two years for them to come up with the redefined (unifed/iPhone-iPad like ecosystem) platform that he was talking about, that was in spring 2014.

AMD who is rumored to have scored a portable console contract (sounds an awful lot like Nintendo) are saying that chip will be for a product releasing in 2016.

Even the custom shaped LCD tech from Sharp (I think) is targetted for a 2016 launch.

3DS has an OK 2015 lineup, but it's definitely running out of gas. Summer-fall 2016 is my guess.

For people who say it's too close to the New 3DS, the DSi XL launched just one year before the 3DS. New 3DS if anything smells a lot like the typical Nintendo "last gasp" revision before rolling out their successor (see also: DSi XL).

Soundwave said:
I think it will be out sooner than that and signs are pointing to this already.

Iwata said it would take two years for them to come up with the redefined (unifed/iPhone-iPad like ecosystem) platform that he was talking about, that was in spring 2014.

AMD who is rumored to have scored a portable console contract (sounds an awful lot like Nintendo) are saying that chip will be for a product releasing in 2016.

Even the custom shaped LCD tech from Sharp (I think) is targetted for a 2016 launch.

3DS has an OK 2015 lineup, but it's definitely running out of gas. Summer-fall 2016 is my guess.

For people who say it's too close to the New 3DS, the DSi XL launched just one year before the 3DS. New 3DS if anything smells a lot like the typical Nintendo "last gasp" revision before rolling out their successor (see also: DSi XL).

I agree that 2016 is possible, but New 3DS in late 2014/early 2015 is more like the equivalent of DSi in late 2008/early 2009.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

DevilRising said:
1. They need to drop the "DS" name line, even IF it is successful and known. They dropped the "Game Boy" line name, and that was far cooler.

2. I have a feeling, though I could be wrong, that we may very well just see the combined "hybrid platform" concept for their next system, meaning they will no longer have a dedicated portable console, but rather, a home console type concept like Wii U has, but with a smaller, sleeker "GamePad" type of device that you actually can take on the go. In other words, doubling as the home and portable consoles, all in one, as the rumors had it awhile back.

On the one hand, it is cool having a dedicated portable system. But on the other hand, part of my would be behind the "unified system", if no other reason than because their first and second party dev teams could put all their focus on one console, with one set of specs. No more "two versions of Smash Bros." and other useless bullshit like that. All of the kinds of games you would normally get, seperated, on a Nintendo home console and a Nintendo portable system in a given generation, would now ALL be on one platform, that you could treat as both a home system played on your TV, as well as a portable system on the go. And that would include main-line Pokemon, etc. that we usually don't see on the home systems, and vice versa. It would also mean that the far healthier third party support that GBA/DS/3DS have seen over the years, would also now be playable at home finally as well, thus meaning their home console had healthy third party support again.

It would mean one system gets twice the games, or rather, that you get the same amount of games, but only have to fork your money out for one console. On the one hand, I could see the argument that Nintendo would be losing the money of having people buy two systems. But on the other hand, if this next console was more successful than the 3DS and Wii U combined in LT sales, then it would certainly be worth it.

So I don't know. I'm fine with them continuing to have separate home and portable systems, though I would prefer they drop the "DS" moniker. But I also see the appeal and possible advantages of having a unified console. So who knows. I still don't think, whatever their next home system is, that we'll see it until 2017. And as for their next NEW portable system (and not just an update like the "New" 3DS)? Who knows. Might be 2016. Or it might just be that unified concept. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

In the meantime, I'd like to still at least get a full slate of Wii U titles in 2015, 2016, and even part of 2017 first. So that I can get my money's worth.

I would like an unified platform too. The problem with that is the format of distribution. Do you release games on SD cartriges for both homeconsole and hanheld version? Do you make DVDs for home console and cartridges for handheld? Crossbuying? Digital only? It's the best option for software sales, but it would cause a lot of chaos and confusion to regular costumers.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

What the next handheld needs to be is HD, 1080p. Todays smartphones are already HD and it really hurts the eyes to look at the 3DS. A console releasing in 2017 just cannot NOT be HD. I would prefer they go back to one screen if they could make that an HD screen.