By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Tell us about gaming in your country

Ireland:
As a kid people mostly played the ps1 and the gameboy. I think the colour version was the rage back then. Everyone in school talked about Pokémon, crash bandicoot or spyro.

Ps2 came along and took over. All types of games and i noticed some adults even thought it was cool to play. Gba was still played but near the end of the ps2 days it was almost exclusively kids much younger than me.

Psp came out and about few people I know got it but most of them were either forgotten or sold for a 360 or ps3.

So ps3, ds, 360, and wii all come out. 360 took a big early lead over ps3 as the online was good but the ps3 was also way too expensive. Add to that killer games like halo 3, gears of war 1, cod taking off on it and the gta 4 deal. Somehow the ps3 eventually made a comeback to become slightly more popular by the end of the gen. That pissed me off because my friends were split 50/50. This was the gen I realised it was cool for adults to play. Both from making online friends who were much older and seeing it around me.

Ds was super popular and my parents ended up buying around 10 between all my sisters. But every kid had at least one of them. Wasn't cool for anyone i knew but kids to play it but everybody knew what it was. Like the gameboys before it.
The Wii was huge here for 3or4 years. Every second tv ad was about it and everyone had fun with it. Adults buying for their kids ended up enjoying it for themselves, old teenagers at partys and of course kids. My sisters at the time loved the mario games, kart racing among the Wii sports games. Was a huge success here but strangely faded away and is now largely remembered as " oh yeah we used to have so much fun with that thing".

Finally this gen. Wii u launched had a lot of ads but bombed big time. Don't know of anybody with one and the ads for it have disappeared. The 3DS was popular but from talking to kids nowadays and seeing them in general they all want an ipad or an iPhone. Costing their parents an initial fortune but the fact games are so cheap is probably winning parents over. Plus an ipad in the house becomes the mother or fathers best friend and a handheld could never do that. Safe to say the DS hype has shifted to apples side.

The ps4 and x1 launched. Thankfully everybody is know or have talked to either have or want a ps4. I'm sure there are a few with an xbox 1 or a few who want one but the ps4 is seen as the cool go to console so you only see these people talk about it or upload a picture of it to Facebook. That's the snowball effect right there and pretty much covers 16 year olds plus. Now from chatting to my cousin who is 14 he says it's really annoying because at school everyone is fighting over which is better and his friends are divided. So that leads me to think the 360 left a more lasting effect on young kids who their first main console was the 360. Everyone else who experienced the ps1 and or 2 is going with the PS4.

But again I find my little god son asking me if I have a ps4 and it seems the new generation who previously only played a Ds as a kid is now going towards a playstation apple ipad combo.

That's my 2 cents on this country. I read a statistic a few years back that said Ireland has the highest ratio of consoles to population.

We also have a ton of game developers based here and a lot of tech like havok developed here too.

Around the Network

In Brazil, gaming is growing considerably in the last few years. The most popular games are Fifa, GTA, CoD, you know.

Here's the thing: what defines the most popular console here is piracy. The PS2 had rampant piracy, so it DOMINATED here (I never even heard of someone with GC or Xbox). Then the 360 had piracy, so it won over the PS3 (not sure about the Wii though). But in recent years, the prices for games and consoles are getting better. Back in the PS2 days, a game would cost something like 100+ dollars or something. Today, you can find more reasonable prices (and the PS3 has gained a considerable surge of popularity thanks to that. And piracy. Oh well), but it's FAR from the convenience of going to a store nearby and grabbing a used copy for 5 bucks or something. Something like that is INCONCEIVABLE around here.
Also, Steam has a brazilian version, with some seriously awesome prices, so there's that.

HOWEVER. With minimum wage at about 290-300 US dollars and consoles costing about 550-600 dollars (and that's on the grey market. Official stores can be even more expensive), gaming can be a pretty expensive hobby and it's extremely rare to find people with the latest console. To give you an idea, a brand new PS2 would cost around 200 dollars. A brand new Wii, hum, about 300-350. And I repeat: MINIMUM WAGE IS ABOUT $290-300! So we are always one generation behind the more developed countries. In 2006-07 and even beyond there were still people getting their first PS2. And when people do buy a next-gen console, they mostly stick to the popular franchises (GTA, Fifa, CoD, you know). Most people only seem to worry about other, less popular games after years.

And as far as I know, handhelds are not very popular around here.

cfin2987@gmail.com said:

IRELAND

Xbox 360 was king of the 7th gen with a late resurgence of ps3. Wiis were littered evrywhere. Most people I know own 2 consoles. Current gen Wii U is rare but though of as cool. but ps4 and xbox one dominate with a 50:50 ratio. Probably the same sales per capita as the usa for 8th gen thus far.

Ireland is nowhere near 50/50 for the ps4 and x1. The 360 and ps3 were 50/50. 360 was more dominant with kids and teenagers but the ps3 was also more popular with 20 year olds plus.  Now ps4 is utterly dominant with 20 year olds plus and less dominant for people under that.

Ok so
United States
is terrible for me as a Nintendo fan
people who never even played the wii u before say it sucks and pretends nintendo is dying
ps4 does very well and xbox one does very well
smash and kart seem to be the only franchises people like of nintendo
hell even when they have a blast playing mk8 and smash wii u
they still think the wii u sucks.

Bets:

(Won)Bet with TechoHobbit: He(Techno) says 10 million by January 1,2014 I say 9 million by then. Winner gets 2 weeks of sig control.

(Lost)Bet with kinisking: I say Ps4 will win April NPD while he says Xbox One will win it; winner gets 1 week of avatar control.

Raichu's First Series:

First RPG?

First Fighter?

First Racer?

First Shooter?

First MMO?

First Horror?

Official Ni No Kuni Fanboy:

Familiars Captured:37

Game Beaten: 2 times almost

Times I got teary during some scenes: 3

OfficerRaichu15 said:
Ok so
United States
people who never even played the wii u before say it sucks and pretends nintendo is dying

Lol funny you say this, US is Nintendo's 2nd best market. Only in Japan do you see them preform better =P

Around the Network
Busted said:
Venezuela, non-developed, 60 years in the past, piracy kingdom like almost all of south america, so everything that can be pirated sells, a lot, or well it DID - We (average citizen) are not in the position to dispose money at all right now, but in general serious gaming exists, mostly on PC due to the high price of (private companies) imports here, 1 ps4 game = 2 months of (minimum) wage, so Steam is king here in no man's land, there ARE PS/Xbox gamers but they are a minimal portion when compared to steam users from my personal experience, Handhelds do quite well and DS/PSP were seen quite often on the streets in their prime, now's a different time tho... those days are gone; A small nintendo community that still refuses to die (mostly 30 something year old who grew up with it) and mobile gaming is what you could call hmmm... just not that big.

Maybe I'm too young, but in my city PC gaming is nonexistant. PS consoles have always dominated here, even on the 7th gen. But after that, besides me and a cousin, none of my friends will continue gaming unless it's F2P. It's weird how were we live, gaming is a luxury, but in many other countries it seems as child's play.

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

ktay95 said:
OfficerRaichu15 said:
Ok so
United States

Lol funny you say this, US is Nintendo's 2nd best market. Only in Japan do you see them preform better =P

I get persecuted for liking nintendo

my gaming life is hell

all kids like is crappy games like cod, minecraft, trivia crack, and clash of clans

the only games that I like that they like is gta, smash, and kart

Bets:

(Won)Bet with TechoHobbit: He(Techno) says 10 million by January 1,2014 I say 9 million by then. Winner gets 2 weeks of sig control.

(Lost)Bet with kinisking: I say Ps4 will win April NPD while he says Xbox One will win it; winner gets 1 week of avatar control.

Raichu's First Series:

First RPG?

First Fighter?

First Racer?

First Shooter?

First MMO?

First Horror?

Troll whisperer forgot 1 more thing.
You know what makes me more mad then the other things
people have no damn clue what uncharted, kingdom hearts, final fantasy, god of war, or jak and dexter are

Bets:

Raichu's First Series:

First RPG?

First Fighter?

First Racer?

First Shooter?

First MMO?

First Horror?

OfficerRaichu15 said:

My family / friends all rip on the Wii U as a whole. We all enjoy it. Actually, we kept putting off getting a Wii U hoping that someone else would get it just so we can play theirs. Everybody wanted to play Smash Bros but nobody would buy it...

in the end, we all got one so all is good  

we still rip on the U constantly but everyone ripped on the Wii too besides for me

Also, I was in school in 2010 and someone said "you're part Asian, do you play games?"

"Yes, I mainly play the Wii"

"Really? That doesn't count, what about XBox / PS"

"No, only the Wii"

"Well, Smash Bros and Animal Crossing are cool" "I play them"

it seems like everyone rips on Nintendo, even the fans

Slarvax said:
Busted said:
Venezuela, non-developed, 60 years in the past, piracy kingdom like almost all of south america, so everything that can be pirated sells, a lot, or well it DID - We (average citizen) are not in the position to dispose money at all right now, but in general serious gaming exists, mostly on PC due to the high price of (private companies) imports here, 1 ps4 game = 2 months of (minimum) wage, so Steam is king here in no man's land, there ARE PS/Xbox gamers but they are a minimal portion when compared to steam users from my personal experience, Handhelds do quite well and DS/PSP were seen quite often on the streets in their prime, now's a different time tho... those days are gone; A small nintendo community that still refuses to die (mostly 30 something year old who grew up with it) and mobile gaming is what you could call hmmm... just not that big.

Maybe I'm too young, but in my city PC gaming is nonexistant. PS consoles have always dominated here, even on the 7th gen. But after that, besides me and a cousin, none of my friends will continue gaming unless it's F2P. It's weird how were we live, gaming is a luxury, but in many other countries it seems as child's play.

i cri everytiem

es lo que veo en la universidad, steam is life, now of course ps has always been dominant everywhere in here, and FIFA/PES is what most people, if, choose to expend their money (BSf) on, and i'm fan of F2P! but yeah wish it was easier ^^