By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Tell us about gaming in your country

XanderXT said:

My brothers and I once played against some friends. The only character I could actually play as was Rooftrelen.

Heh, you'd be lucky to go tanking a group fight if your teammates have the sense of actually supporting, otherwise your on a suicide mission. :D

Nintendo Switch FC: SW-6340-7643-4233 aka Renji

Steam: Lee Roid

Around the Network
osed125 said:

Costa Rica

Gaming isn't a big thing here, anything that's not COD, FIFA or GTA doesn't really sell very well (if not at all), Nintendo is decently popular here though, which is somewhat strange if you compare to other countries, but Sony takes the majority of the market with MS taking the 3rd place. 

During the 7th gen, the Wii took a huge lead until the last few years of the gen when the PS3 (when it finally reached a good price) was probably the highest selling console here (this is purely my perspective, as far as I know, there are no sales numbers for Costa Rica). The 360 was very popular at the beginning of the gen, but it fell off later quickly.

For the current gen, MS 'suffers' a lot here (quotations because Costa Rica is such a small market that I highly doubt MS cares) I honestly only know 2 people that own an Xbox One, while a lot own a PS4 or Wii U (in some cases both). And 3DS is strangely very very popular here, a few years ago I barely saw anyone with a 3DS on the street, but recently it has become quite a common site.

PC is also very popular because well...piracy. Seriously, no Latin America country is safe from huge piracy. 

Costa Rica here as well and I agree.

Most people I know are casual gamers, people who only buy COD, PES or FIFA.

Nintendo has a strong following, mostly with the 3DS, wiiu not so much.

Just out of curiosity, I know a good amount of people with PS3s/360s, and when talking to them, most of them are either thinking about selling theirs, or not moving to PS4/One. 

Menx64

3DS code: 1289-8222-7215

NNid: Menx064

chocoloco said:
-Ack!- said:
chocoloco said:
I have disagreed with every fellow American on USA gaming to some degree. Not a very accurate thread I say.

I guess there are big gaming culture differences between each state.

I mean can you really say that it's the same culture in LA, NY and Austin?

My education tells me individual experience has more differences than state differences. I will admit as a Coloradan I do not see things much like a Bostonian, or Floridian. Age differances matter, as well as type of job, and education in terms of how you experience other gamers. My job is actually filled with mostly non-gamers. Which is very different than the high levels of gaming I saw in college. Which is also different than high school gaming culture. Fucken demographics matter a lot, man.

Exactly.

here in the states people play retarded fps and sports games and scream cusswords at the people they're supposed to be having fun with. 

ktay95 said:
I live in Australia, land of banning games or having them censored despite the new R18 rating -_-

I hope I don't offend you when I say I am sorry for you.  It's just that from what I have read video games are twice as expensive in your country, AND tons of them get censored or banned even if they are meant for adults...

Around the Network
chocoloco said:
-Ack!- said:
chocoloco said:
I have disagreed with every fellow American on USA gaming to some degree. Not a very accurate thread I say.

I guess there are big gaming culture differences between each state.

I mean can you really say that it's the same culture in LA, NY and Austin?

My education tells me individual experience has more differences than state differences. I will admit as a Coloradan I do not see things much like a Bostonian, or Floridian. Age differances matter, as well as type of job, and education in terms of how you experience other gamers. My job is actually filled with mostly non-gamers. Which is very different than the high levels of gaming I saw in college. Which is also different than high school gaming culture. Fucken demographics matter a lot, man. 

Yeah the people who are from the U.S. should have mentioned the State and the City in which they game from. Each state is almost like a different country here (They even have different accents from state to state )...

I really enjoyed reading all your descriptions on how gaming is in all your respected countries. It was as if I was visiting each one and seeing it for myself!

As for gaming in U.S.A. - New York, NY...

In my neighborhood people are still stuck on 7th generation because it's cheap and and so are the systems (least as far as the consumers know) so PS3 and Wii's are still common. Piracy is not big around here because either people are A) dumber than Nails and it's the moon to them, or B) they don't have the patience or C) are just too lazy to do it. Sony rules for Adults and Nintendo products are for the children. Though you see many portable gaming here in the subways and it's usually either a DS or the 3DS. The 3DS is picking up more momentum it seems, and even the hood rats are starting to notice the Wii U (Smash is to blame for this). But if you were to stop at a local Gamestop, Best Buy, or Mom and Pop shop, PS4 is what they are switching over to. Though from my experience at Target Wii U's and 3DS are sold there more often. Although Microsoft is not small, I would say it's the least popular of all three.

It's such an extreme from the Casual Crowd and the Hardcore crowd. Although there's lots of more casual gamers, hardcore gamers are not hard to find here. If you stay longer than 15 mins in a gaming store you'll probably  start talking to one. They are more usually included not to be fanboys of any system and prefer a Sony/Nintendo combo to gaming. 90% of XBOXers are casuals here.

And as for liking Nintendo here, well Nintendo World is just a 45 minute train ride from where I live (It's almost impossible to park in the city and the traffic is horrendous) and you'll find Ninty fans from all ages there.

Gaming is as diverse in New York as it's races and cultures!

EDIT: And Girl Gamers are usually Wii/DS/3DS owners as well...

jmorris724 said:

here in the states people play retarded fps and sports games and scream cusswords at the people they're supposed to be having fun with. 

LOL it depends on what system you are playing on.  I never had any problems with that on PSN, and my friends tell me that the populace is WAY more mature on PSN than Xbox Live.   Oh and PC gamers are almost ALL mature adults so that is awesome!

Sunstrider said:
XanderXT said:

My brothers and I once played against some friends. The only character I could actually play as was Rooftrelen.

Heh, you'd be lucky to go tanking a group fight if your teammates have the sense of actually supporting, otherwise your on a suicide mission. :D

My brothers usually went to the forest to kill some monsters until they were level 6. By that time, I was already killed twice.

I live in Canada, the land of the 450$ ps4, and 80$ pre-orders (10$ deposit fee, 70$ to pick up the game, or you can buy the game for 70$). Its almost like the US, only more expensive :(

XanderXT said:
Sunstrider said:
XanderXT said:

My brothers usually went to the forest to kill some monsters until they were level 6. By that time, I was already killed twice.

Lol XD

Nintendo Switch FC: SW-6340-7643-4233 aka Renji

Steam: Lee Roid