By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Chat Room - January

*Sound Of Rain said:
Darwinianevolution said:

Now I'm hungry.

Go eat then

Anyway, are you really going to try and get a Wii U? It's shapping up to be a nice system. So far it's not the best thing in the world but it is improving. Definitely better now compared to when I first had it 

The thing is, there are three things that stop me from upgrading from Wii to WiiU:

-Time: Nowadays I can't play as musch as I would like. So investing in a new system and a decent library when I am going to play briefly and in very separated sesions is problematic.

-Games: I don't care the small WiiU library, in fact I prefer it, i don't have enough money for an extensive library anyway. But why invest in a new system when I still have to play a ton of games, and I mean a TON. Wii, GCube , 3DS, DS, GBA, GB, PS2 and PS1 (I owned a PS2 for around six months before it broke, now I use an emulator)... I can rent, buy or pirate if I can't find it (not localised ones and horribly distributed ones). Not to mention my PC.

-Money: Gaming is expensive, noone will argue that.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Around the Network
Zisbest said:
JoeAncelotti said:

Well uh no, could I get a link, because you're making me interested. xD

Well good sir, you asked for it. So don't blame me for becoming lewd.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=187800&page=1

Why did you give me the link?! What did I just see. My eyes, they're burning. 

Add me on Xbox: DWTKarma 

padib said:
I'm having fun thinking up game concepts right now.

We tried starting a point and click adventure but it fizzled out, now we're thinking of a platformer type game.

Oh cool, I love platformers :D

On a slightly related note, I've had these same several video game concepts stuck in my mind for about 10 years now, I just don't have the means to actually make games around them :(

MohammadBadir said:

It's a bit... depressing to say the least.

Oh. Well, you can still share if you want. Poor Proxy

Darwinianevolution said:

The thing is, there are three things that stop me from upgrading from Wii to WiiU:

-Time: Nowadays I can't play as musch as I would like. So investing in a new system and a decent library when I am going to play briefly and in very separated sesions is problematic.

-Games: I don't care the small WiiU library, in fact I prefer it, i don't have enough money for an extensive library anyway. But why invest in a new system when I still have to play a ton of games, and I mean a TON. Wii, GCube , 3DS, DS, GBA, GB, PS2 and PS1 (I owned a PS2 for around six months before it broke, now I use an emulator)... I can rent, buy or pirate if I can't find it (not localised ones and horribly distributed ones). Not to mention my PC.

-Money: Gaming is expensive, noone will argue that.

All of these are valid points. I'd suggest waiting then unless you are dying to play, I don't know...Splatoon! 

Seriously though, I would wait if you have other things to play.

Around the Network
padib said:

We're not sure yet, but one of WiiU or smartphones.

Let me know when it's ready so I can play it

More problems with Far Cry 3:

a. Mini Map Syndrome:

"Oh cool, I got a compass thingy that I'm supposed to follow."
*Immediately puts it away and goes to marker on minimap*

This is starting to feel like every mission.

"Oh, theres some super secret treasures that have been lost for centuries? No worries, they are all marked on my mini map."

Jeesh...there is no satisfaction to finding anything or completing a quest if it is just me running to a marker on the mini map. If you want to fill your open world with things to do, this is not the way to do it (which leads me to my next problem).

b. Terrible side quests:

While the main quest can be fun, the side quests pretty much all suck. One of them, I had to spy on this ladies husband or something, walked about 10seconds away, talked to him and made a "decision" and finished the quest. It took less than a minute.

Absolute garbage.

Its not like the people you are getting them from are interesting either. You talk to them for 10 seconds with their generic faces (I think the game has like 6 NPC models for 100s of non-story NPCs), bad animations and weird accents (is that actually what people from this region sound like? I know Ubi has a bad reputation for using the wrong accent).

If you want to make an open world game that doesn't feel empty, make interesting quests. Make me care about the world and the characters in it, so when I walk by a town or a temple I will think "Yeah, this is the place where that cool person lives and I did that thing", as opposed to...well, nothing. I pass a temple and I think "is that the same one I've passed ten times?"

Bad quest design is one of my biggest pet peeves. So many games settle for shit-tier quests, when good quest design can move a game from average to amazing...

*Sound Of Rain said:
MohammadBadir said:

It's a bit... depressing to say the least.

Oh. Well, you can still share if you want. Poor Proxy

My school was on a trip to a music studio, and supposedly Michael Jackson happened to be there on that same day. Of course, being the wacky MJ fan I am, I just had to meet him, so I decided to do that in the trip. When I was on the way to the music center in the university (or something like that) I noticed him talking to the manager, who was sharing the bench with him, so I ran up to him and shook his hand and tapped his back. My vision got a bit fuzzy, so I asked "You're Michael Jackson, right?" (-.-) and he responded: "yeah, but that's not my name anymore", so I asked why, and he said "I've done some things in the past that I'm not proud of, so I don't think that I deserve that name anymore". I cleared my eyes and he vanished :(

An epilogue followed which featured me and my brother talking to the manager about bricks :P

And there were 2 other dreams following this one, the first one was weird, the other was sorta humorous (and starred a recurring character in my dreams!) :P

Alpha Protocol had a lot of potential for an espionage RPG, but damn, was it disappointing. Gameplay is terrible, and the AI is very erratic. The weapon and equipment options are mediocre at best. Those stealth suits are ugly... blech! The abilities aren't bad, but they were poorly executed.

My only wish is for an espionage game with a fully customizable character and real RPG elements that doesn't feel like they were tacked on. A story that revolves around a rookie soldier who just got "recruited" by a mercenary group. I want the game to be heavily inspired by the Metal Gear Solid series, with its lighthearted humor and convoluted stories.

sundin13 said:
More problems with Far Cry 3:

a. Mini Map Syndrome:

"Oh cool, I got a compass thingy that I'm supposed to follow."
*Immediately puts it away and goes to marker on minimap*

This is starting to feel like every mission.

"Oh, theres some super secret treasures that have been lost for centuries? No worries, they are all marked on my mini map."

Jeesh...there is no satisfaction to finding anything or completing a quest if it is just me running to a marker on the mini map. If you want to fill your open world with things to do, this is not the way to do it (which leads me to my next problem).

b. Terrible side quests:

While the main quest can be fun, the side quests pretty much all suck. One of them, I had to spy on this ladies husband or something, walked about 10seconds away, talked to him and made a "decision" and finished the quest. It took less than a minute.

Absolute garbage.

Its not like the people you are getting them from are interesting either. You talk to them for 10 seconds with their generic faces (I think the game has like 6 NPC models for 100s of non-story NPCs), bad animations and weird accents (is that actually what people from this region sound like? I know Ubi has a bad reputation for using the wrong accent).

If you want to make an open world game that doesn't feel empty, make interesting quests. Make me care about the world and the characters in it, so when I walk by a town or a temple I will think "Yeah, this is the place where that cool person lives and I did that thing", as opposed to...well, nothing. I pass a temple and I think "is that the same one I've passed ten times?"

Bad quest design is one of my biggest pet peeves. So many games settle for shit-tier quests, when good quest design can move a game from average to amazing...

That all sounds...pretty bad. I rarely do side quests with any game though because they are normally butt cheeks. As far as the all your treasure being shown, well that's pretty standard I think. Video games are supposed to be fun,nwhen your think "nothing" as you say, that's definitely not good.