By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nintendo stock falls to 52 week low

Kerotan said:
Hedra42 said:
kowenicki said:

Not sure why people are bringing the nikkei into this... 

1yr: Nikkei up 6.66%.  Ninty down 30.57%

and yes Ninty is at a 11 year low.

It isn't - it was lower in Feb 2013.

Most Japanese stocks were down over the past 2 days for reasons already linked to. Nintendo (as the graphs indicate) is low, but has been levelling out after the huge drop in 2011. It certainly doesn't look like it's in freefall - it's already trading higher on the Tokyo exchange as I type this. Yesterday's drop is really nothing in the grand scheme of things.

If it were 10% drop or more and stayed there, or kept dropping fast without any obvious outside factors contributing - then it would be thread-worthy.

This may not be thread worthy but kowenickis grap certainly is. I had no idea the stock went like that. Imagine you invested just before the 2007 boom and sold soon after. Likewise imagine you invested then and you're still holding on to them.  

nintendo is just hit ore than others by the falling yen, and sure the sales arent hot so a not so super peformance was clear

Around the Network
generic-user-1 said:
Kerotan said:
Hedra42 said:
kowenicki said:

Most Japanese stocks were down over the past 2 days for reasons already linked to. Nintendo (as the graphs indicate) is low, but has been levelling out after the huge drop in 2011. It certainly doesn't look like it's in freefall - it's already trading higher on the Tokyo exchange as I type this. Yesterday's drop is really nothing in the grand scheme of things.

If it were 10% drop or more and stayed there, or kept dropping fast without any obvious outside factors contributing - then it would be thread-worthy.

This may not be thread worthy but kowenickis grap certainly is. I had no idea the stock went like that. Imagine you invested just before the 2007 boom and sold soon after. Likewise imagine you invested then and you're still holding on to them.  

nintendo is just hit ore than others by the falling yen, and sure the sales arent hot so a not so super peformance was clear

So what happens if next Wii sells 10m and next DS sells 40-50m? 

Kerotan said:
generic-user-1 said:
Kerotan said:
Hedra42 said:
kowenicki said:

So what happens if next Wii sells 10m and next DS sells 40-50m? 

i dont know. japan is tricky, nintendo could rise sharply or fall a lot withut any good reasons because the system isnt working..

What were stockholders expecting to see in the Direct?

They fucking gave them Candy Crush Pokémon Saga, complete with micro transactions and pocketfarming!

Did they want that game to be on smart phones? Fuck off.

Podings said:
What were stockholders expecting to see in the Direct?

They fucking gave them Candy Crush Pokémon Saga, complete with micro transactions and pocketfarming!

Did they want that game to be on smart phones? Fuck off.

Investors want to make money and it doesn't matter how. I'd say they'd be delighted if it came to mobile. 

Around the Network
ZombieVito said:
Rightfully deserved. Not releasing the normal N3DS is a big fuck you to many.

Is it though? I don't see it as being a big deal.

I bet the Wii U would sell more than 15M LTD by the end of 2015. He bet it would sell less. I lost.

kowenicki said:

Yes Nintendo is down compared to Nikkei, but it is still affected large by day to day Nikkei moves as well.

And no, it's not yet at an 11 year low because it's slightly above what it was 18 months ago.

My 8th gen collection

Boy there's a lot of Nintendoom going on in these forums lately. Its regular market fluctuation. Of course Nintendo is down after the sales of the Wii. It would have been impossible to keep up that momentum.

kowenicki said:
Hedra42 said:
kowenicki said:

Sorry, you're right it was.

Doesn't alter the fact that the Ninty stock is performing far worse than the index in the last 12 months and simply saying "well, yeah, the marklet was down too" is glossing over the situation somewhat.

down 30% in a year when the index is up 6% isn't "really nothing"

This thread is about a drop of 4.3% in one day, which happened to nudge Nintendo's stock price to a 52 week low. (Just). It was then established in this thread that the cause of the drop during that day was less about Nintendo, and more about the market conditions at the time - falling oil prices, climbing yen, Japanese bank announcing slowing of inflation, etc. which affected many Japanese stocks, which in turn affected the index. Nintendo dropped by a couple of percent more than the index, but it rallied at a greater rate than the index overnight. So I stand by my statement that yesterday's drop is really nothing in the grand scheme of things, and not worth posting a thread about.

You are talking about something completely different - a snapshot over the course of a year comparing Nintendo with the Nikkei 225, a price-weighted index comprised of Japan's top 225 blue-chip companies on the Tokyo Stock Exchange. You've chosen to show a 12 month comparison to highlight a divergence between the two - a period during which, because of its length, additional factors would have been at play. Where did I say, anywhere, that the market conditions were responsible for Nintendo's performance versus an index of blue chip companies in the last 12 months? I am not glossing over anything.

You are quick to post a long-term graph to try and illustrate what you erroneously believed to be an 11 year low, but you didn't post a graph showing the price fluctuations of the index for the same period, nor did you post a 10 year comparison between the two (which I would do if I knew how to embed graphs). If you had, we would have seen a different story unfolding over the past decade. Currently, however, the index has almost reached peak levels not seen since 2007. Nintendo, on the other hand, has returned to its  pre-Wii levels of 2005.

But this is off topic - overnight increases have shown the OP to be little more than sensationalism at this point.

I'd say that, once again, investors were expecting Nintendo to ditch hardware and go mobile. Nintendo patented their software for use on mobile, and they teamed up with the Puzzle and Dragons devs. So there would be the expectation of going mobile, which they're not, so we get a crash.

NNID: TanukiTrooper - PSN: MatrosRx - STEAM: TanukiTrooper