By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - No Charger Included!? Seriously!?

Wow, such a basic need not included? Definitely won't be getting one now.

Around the Network

This is ridiculous, honestly. I see people defending this. Would they defend the fact that Vita doesn't come with a memory card by default? Hey, you don't need one if you have one already!

The One and Only

VizionEck.com

Ninsect said:
This is ridiculous, honestly. I see people defending this. Would they defend the fact that Vita doesn't come with a memory card by default? Hey, you don't need one if you have one already!

I don't understand the defense, this is something you NEED to use the freakin' device! At least you can still charge and play the vita :P

So strange

KLAMarine said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:

You take for granted that the majority of buyers already own a previous Ninty portable with a compatible charger and you take for granted that the rest be happy with having to buy a proprietary one, almost surely more expensive, instead of a standard USB one. If the move were really to give users more choice and possibly make them save a few bucks, the obvious and honest choice would have been to use standard chargers, not proprietary ones.
This way, instead, only users already owning a previous and not too old Ninty portable get a possible advantage (and only if they really didn't want another charger, otherwise, buying it separately will surely cost them more).
Weak excuse is weak.

If you can't afford about $5-$10 for a charger, you probably shouldn't be buying a $200 handheld gaming device that plays $40 games. If you don't feel what Nintendo is asking for is reasonable, please do not purchase a new 3DS and contact Nintendo as to why you are not purchasing the new handheld. Purchase a Vita instead, it comes with a charger but just be wary of memory card prices.

Not unaffordable but the small but unnecessary extra cost for a proprietary charger instead of a standard one is annoying, I don't find Ninty's move horrible, but just petty, a big company that stops including the charger, but keeps it proprietary so that it can still get some extra money from you if you need it and then it has the face to tell you it did it for you.
About Vita, for my tastes it's still too expensive for the use I'd do of it, probably the best offers I can find around would already be within my budget if I had more time.
But if I liked Mario as I used to 30 years ago and I liked more some other Ninty exclusives, 3DS too would eventually reach a price at which I'd buy it, and in that case, I'd buy it anyway despite this petty attitude, but I'd feel moderately cheated. Adding lame and false excuses would worsen it, making me feel like my intelligence is insulted.
The worse and most short-sighted situation about it, though, is doing this to users that are undecided between 3DS or Vita, or maybe a tablet, for the most casual, as if they just want some games but aren't particularly fond of any Ninty or Sony exclusives, they'll weight every factor to take their final decision, so any negative thing will contribute to tip the scales towards the competitors.
Naturally, PSV has its cons too, mainly horrible marketing (that includes not publicising enough that it's region free, a big advantage for a portable, allowing to buy games for it anywhere in the world when travelling, as long as they have at least a known language available, and to buy without any problems those that aren't officially imported into the users'  country or region), no memory card or just a small one included, price still high for casuals and less than convinced first party support, and guess what? Two dogs strive for a bone and a third runs away with it.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Ninsect said:

This is worse than no Vita memory card. Newer Vitas have some internal memory, plus some games have save memory on them, so a memory card is not absolutely essential in every case. A freaking power cord is! The defenders are probably mostly Nintendo die hards that would defend Nintendo now matter how wrong they were.

Around the Network

Who needs another charger when they are all the same?

Switch!!!

Maybe Apple should stop including chargers with iPhones and iPads cause they are all the "same" chargers...wonder how that would make people feel?

marioboy2004 said:
Maybe Apple should stop including chargers with iPhones and iPads cause they are all the "same" chargers...wonder how that would make people feel?

Apple will surely do it for its entry level, facepalming for not having thought about it before Ninty. Then Jeff Bezos will arrive asking royalties from both, having patented "portable device sold without a charger" many years ago.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Mystro-Sama said:
ktay95 said:
RealGamingExpert said:
Mystro-Sama said:

I know. The damage control is real in this thread. lol

Or people just disagree with you. lol

Nah pretty sure I ktay95, known to dislike so much of what Nintendo do and openly criticize them on a daily basis am currently damage controlling.

LOL! I wasn't even talking about you. If you're not gulity then don't feel offended.

Would you mind listing by username the exact people you are referring to then so they can come in and reply to your comment, rather than just a broad statement like this whereby anyone who replies to it can get the same reply you gave to Ktay95 since your attack was so broad and without direction.

If it wasn't directed any users specifically then you should probably retract it since broad statements like that are normally thrown about on here to deter any "damage control" or as people would call them, valid reasons why Nintendo would do this... posts.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

rolltide101x said:
Mr Khan said:
I guess they figured it's targeted at existing fans, so more than likely they'll have a compatible device already.

I'm staying well clear of all of that. No money for it, but even if i had the money, i've managed to elude Nintendo's multi-handheld traps.

No excuse for Nintendo to not spend the 2$ to put a charger in the box. That is absolutely unacceptable. 

Right, so many people throughout this thread have suggested the price that Nintendo would need to pay to include a charger being from 50cent > $2 there are a number of things to be considered other than the price of the small piece of plastic which is being sold seperately.

1. In Europe most countries here use a different wall socket, when Nintendo decided to go for the no charger in the box model for the 3ds xl over here it meant they no longer needed to worry about which charger was going into which box, that meant rather than having a bunch of different box shape designs (some countries plug sockets are massive compared to others) they could just go with 1 default EU box model and not have to worry about which country was getting it. This saves money on packaging and administrative overhead since there doesn't need to be a seperate packaging line done per country depending on each countries demand for systems at the time, they could happily just make and box 3ds xl's to their hearts content then ship them where needed.

2. Two electronic devices in 1 box, with the 3ds xl in it's current state being sold in the EU there is one device inside the box, one piece of hardware that needs to be tested and only one point of failure, imagine the scenario where a 3ds would be sold with a defective charger, nothing is wrong with the system itself but obviously the customer needs to get in contact with Nintendo and ship it back complete so that problem can be found, rather than just selling a handheld on its own and allowing people to get the charger seperately means Nintendo are not also responsible for the testing of a seperate rather cheap piece of kit inside the box which could cost them the system being returned, this lowers the time spent checking what goes into the box at the factories since some pieces of paper are hardly going to be defective.

3. This is a tangent from the first point but, 3dsxl's boxed in stores here come in tiny boxes they are just a really nicely designed minimalist cardboard sleave around the essential product, in terms of packaging/shiping/handling/storage of not having to include a almost same size as the console charger in each box means that you can have much larger shipments going out of the consoles that will sell without having to include that accessory in the box, also of course means storage to keep a stock of the consoles in game stores or electronic warehouses costs a good deal less.

and really most important reason to do it in the states would be 4. Europe didn't blow up, they tried it out here, rolled out the XL , some people kicked up a large amount of fuss about the charger not being included, there was threads far bigger than this one on here with even more gif responses to good points, that bycotts would happen and Nintendo as a company who likes to make money (instead of all those other non profit companies we love who make games) were evil and had to be stopped... all added up to nothing.

To suggest it costs just $2 to put the charger in the box tho.... means you haven't stopped to think that you first need to redesign the box to fit your charger and if it would apply which region and power outlet the box is going to.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive