By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What lessons did Nintendo learn this gen you think?

Hopefully they understand that tablets are not suitable controllers!

Around the Network

I hope they learn how to make aggressive business instead of putting feelings on the top priorities and also going out there get some 3rd party support. And also making a good console name this time.

...Let the Sony Domination continue with the PS4...

They learned to launch their next console (the "Nintendo") with specs, architecture and controller blessed by 3rd party developers (it's crucial to have the multiplats like GTA, COD, FIFA, MGS, FF, RE, AC, BF, TES, Fallout, Red Dead, Far Cry, ME, DA, etc.) and with great launch (or launch window) games including exciting new IPs and highly demanded exclusives like an ultimate 3D "The Pokémon Adventure", the rumored next-gen 3D Super Mario (let's call it Galaxy 3) and a full-blown Metroid or Zelda game (would be great if they could cater to both longtime fans and a larger, more mainstream audience with these two games).

For this to be possible I think Nintendo has to expand and add 2 more Western development studios (like Retro Studios) to their family of 1st party developers. Granted, it won't be cheap but Nintendo can afford it and if this could help them reach a larger audience they may as well do it now rather than later. Nintendo's Japanese developers will continue to provide the magical Nintendo games like Mario Kart, Smash Bros. and [insert random innovative Nintendo game].

This would be my dream next-gen home console from Nintendo and what I think could sell potentially huge numbers WW. You don't have to agree.

Darwinianevolution said:
McDonaldsGuy said:
I honestly don't think they've learned anything. They have no desire to even turn the Wii U around (unlike Sony and the PS3).

I don't think the WiiU and the PS3 problems were the same. Yes, they both had the "the console X has no games", but their core problems were different.

The PS3 was as powerfull as the 360, but it was more difficult to program for. The WiiU uses old technology that Im sure is relatively easy to work for (except the gamepad), but with the lack of power, nobody is developing for it. The killing point was the relation with 3rd parties: the PS3 had to wait a year or two to get proper support, time needed by the developers to get used to the software. They could have work on the WiiU, but they felt ignored due to last gen console, Nintendo's lack of dialogue with the 3rd parties and EA's boycott. Thus, killing any sustainable 3rd party suppord in the future.

Also, PS3 was really expensive and had a horrible presentation on E3 (Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiidge Raceeeeeeeeer). WiiU's was bad, but not that awfull.

True but Nintendo should attempt to turn the Wii U around. It's like they don't even care. They've made so many baffling choices. Not to mention they turned around the 3DS (really quickly). 

Let's look at the weird mistakes Nintendo has made:

- Last gen hardware

- Weird tablet controller that appeals to no one and no company is utilizing it (not even Nintendo)

- Poor advertising

- Hardly any first party games, no new franchises, and spare releases (we usually would have a Zelda game by now but it's not coming out til next year)

- Super Mario 3D World isn't what people wanted. We wanted a Super Mario 64/Galaxy type HD Mario. We finally get an HD Nintendo system and they give us a 3DS sequel!

- Zelda's art style. They showed us a cool art style at E3 2012 that got us pumped up, but instead went with the horrid Skyward Sword art style that was rejected

- Their online still sucks and they STILL don't have achievements. WTH?

- They aren't even reaching out to third parties

The PS3 also had many issues at launch: poor titles, crap first/second party support (lol Lair!), weirdest advertising ever (remember that baby?), no trophies, $599, no rumble, losing third party exclusives left and right (Final Fantasy XIII, GTAIV, Assassin's Creed, Devil May Cry, Tekken 6, etc. etc.), and a lot more. But Sony started to turn it around by 2008. They got major exclusives by then (Uncharted, Metal Gear Solid, LittleBigPlanet), a price cut, started to support rumble and trophies. They also started the famous Kevin Butler advertising which helped turn it around.

By 2009 the comeback was complete - they did a complete rebranding of the PS3 and it succeeded.

On the other hand Nintendo doesn't even care. That's why it's so frustrating cause I thought the Wii was amazing, and the 3DS is amazing. Nintendo could turn the Wii U around in many ways, but they refuse to.

I am sure that they learned:

1. That they need to make better name for console and proper marketing.
2. That they need to make stronger games for launch and no big droughts.
3. That they need to make more appealing hardware for third parties, easy for developing and porting games.

And I think that these are main reasons why Wii U is selling bad.

Around the Network

Avoid using exotic hardware.

Pick a good name for their next console.

Don't pack in such an expensive controller.

Market the damn thing.

McDonaldsGuy said:
I honestly don't think they've learned anything. They have no desire to even turn the Wii U around (unlike Sony and the PS3).

Nintendo could incrase Wii U sales with big changes that requre invest good money and big eford, but that doesn't guarantee big numbers for Wii U and that would be profitable, and I think nothing can turn Wii U around to start selling much better.

I think in situation that is Wii U they make best choice, get current and future Wii U owners full Nintendo suport and in same time try to make profit, while slowly preparing for next console with learned mistakes with this genaration.

And yes they learned their lessons, they talked about Wii U name that was making confusion, and about bad marketing, they talked about droughts of games, and they talked about future hardware that will be easier to develop and about true unified account..

McDonaldsGuy said:
Darwinianevolution said:
McDonaldsGuy said:

I don't think the WiiU and the PS3 problems were the same. Yes, they both had the "the console X has no games", but their core problems were different.

The PS3 was as powerfull as the 360, but it was more difficult to program for. The WiiU uses old technology that Im sure is relatively easy to work for (except the gamepad), but with the lack of power, nobody is developing for it. The killing point was the relation with 3rd parties: the PS3 had to wait a year or two to get proper support, time needed by the developers to get used to the software. They could have work on the WiiU, but they felt ignored due to last gen console, Nintendo's lack of dialogue with the 3rd parties and EA's boycott. Thus, killing any sustainable 3rd party suppord in the future.

Also, PS3 was really expensive and had a horrible presentation on E3 (Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiidge Raceeeeeeeeer). WiiU's was bad, but not that awfull.

True but Nintendo should attempt to turn the Wii U around. It's like they don't even care. They've made so many baffling choices. Not to mention they turned around the 3DS (really quickly). 

Let's look at the weird mistakes Nintendo has made:

- Last gen hardware

- Weird tablet controller that appeals to no one and no company is utilizing it (not even Nintendo)

- Poor advertising

- Hardly any first party games, no new franchises, and spare releases (we usually would have a Zelda game by now but it's not coming out til next year)

- Super Mario 3D World isn't what people wanted. We wanted a Super Mario 64/Galaxy type HD Mario. We finally get an HD Nintendo system and they give us a 3DS sequel!

- Zelda's art style. They showed us a cool art style at E3 2012 that got us pumped up, but instead went with the horrid Skyward Sword art style that was rejected

- Their online still sucks and they STILL don't have achievements. WTH?

- They aren't even reaching out to third parties

The PS3 also had many issues at launch: poor titles, crap first/second party support (lol Lair!), weirdest advertising ever (remember that baby?), no trophies, $599, no rumble, losing third party exclusives left and right (Final Fantasy XIII, GTAIV, Assassin's Creed, Devil May Cry, Tekken 6, etc. etc.), and a lot more. But Sony started to turn it around by 2008. They got major exclusives by then (Uncharted, Metal Gear Solid, LittleBigPlanet), a price cut, started to support rumble and trophies. They also started the famous Kevin Butler advertising which helped turn it around.

By 2009 the comeback was complete - they did a complete rebranding of the PS3 and it succeeded.

On the other hand Nintendo doesn't even care. That's why it's so frustrating cause I thought the Wii was amazing, and the 3DS is amazing. Nintendo could turn the Wii U around in many ways, but they refuse to.

- Last gen hardware. Agree. They can get away with a less powerful handheld, because they basically monopolize the field, but in the home console part, they needed to get more closer to the PS4/XBone power.

- Weird tablet controller that appeals to no one and no company is utilizing it (not even Nintendo).  They tried with a couple of games, and they didn't sell well. They just haven't picked the right game for that yet. Imagine Alien Isolation with the gamepad as the radar. They should have paid to get that game. Oportunity wasted.

- Poor advertising. More like misleading advertisement. Everyone thought the WiiU was a new controller for the Wii. They needed a machine with an unique look, you can differenciate the 360 from the XBone. You can't say the same for the Wii-WiiU, specially if they focus on the Gamepad.

- Hardly any first party games, no new franchises, and spare releases. Nintendo has to sustain, practically on their own, two consoles. For the amount of resources that needs, I'm surprised they have released as many titles as they have. Also, new franchises are usually overshadowed by the other 1st party. I just hope Splatoon reaches the million. They should really go with the unified OS and the Fusion idea, that would solve most of that problem.

- Super Mario 3D World isn't what people wanted. I haven't played 3DWorld, but I think it looks fantastic and the co-op seems fun.

- Zelda's art style. Even though I prefer cartoony-cel shaded looks over the realism of that trailer, Nintendo should have showcased its graphics with Metroid. That way, noone would have complained.

- Their online still sucks and they STILL don't have achievements. WTH? Nintendo doesn't have 1st titles that recquire as much of an online infraestructure as the PS4 or XBone, they won't focus on that as much as local multiplayer. Also it's free online.

- They aren't even reaching out to third parties. Look at what happened at the beginning of WiiU's life. All of the promises were broken, and the same people who talked about how the console was fantastic later rejected it. They don't need ALL of the 3rd party, just enough to avoid droughts. For every 1st party, two  3rd parties, and that way they will avoid months without new games. Also, focusing more in titles like Bayoneta 2 and Devil's Third, more common multiplats like AC or CoD are developed for more than 3 platforms already. They will polish the Nintendo wersion the least because "it will sell less" (look at Watch Dogs. They needed almost half a year more to make a version weaker than the PS3 one).

The main problem I see is a lack of software. Mario, Zelda, Metroid... will sell well regardess of artstyles or power. Nintendo can expand to provide all the software their consoles need, or they have to get closer to 3rd parties, the ones that will develope quality content to the system.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Not much. The next console wont have Wii in the name and........that's about it.

We'll see in a couple of years, won't we?