By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What lessons did Nintendo learn this gen you think?

NightDragon83 said:
I don't think they learned anything, because they made all the same mistakes they've made in past generations, only 10 times worse in this generation.

Nintendo has "learning 1-2 things from last generation, but making 3-4 new mistakes for the upcoming generation" down to an art form. 

After SNES-Genesis era

"Yeah! Nintendo finally gets it! They're not being outmarketed by Sega anymore! Yeah Play It Loud baby! Killer Instinct with blood. Uncensored Mortal Kombat! Oh yeah Nintendo going 3D too, man wait till you see Mario in 3D!".

Good stuff ... until they proceed to choose cartridges alienating 95% of the development community, losing key allies like Squaresoft and Enix, and handing the generation over to the Playstation. 

After N64-PSX era

"Yeah! Nintendo going with DVDs! Awwww yeah! No more cartridge problem! OMG! Resident Evil exclusivity! Imagine Perfect Dark 2 on this thing!"

Good stuff .... until they decided to make their console look like a purple kids lunchbox, paying for a DVD drive but not allowing DVD movie playback, getting themselves labelled as the "kiddie" platform, letting Microsoft move in onto their FPS fanbase that they had going for themselves with GoldenEye/Perfect Dark, and cutting ties with most of their Western development partners, etc. etc. 

Nintendo "learns" maybe 1 or 2 things each console generation, the problem is they find a way to make twice as many new mistakes the next time around. Remember this doozy of a gif that was paraded around before the Wii U launched?

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
oniyide said:

When yhey first announced amibo and how it would work, I knew i wouldnt like it for the reason you listed. Its really just expensive DLC in hard form. Maybe im being cynical but it seems Ninty takes and idea (in this case Skylanders) and makes it worse just for the sake of being different.

You haven't lived until you've lined up in sub-zero temperatures outside of a Toys R' Us at 7 in the morning alongside six other 30-year-old overweight men hellbent on getting a Rosalina amiibo.

Ugh. If thats what you call life then you can have it and to each his own.

As funny as that image is it doesnt really adress what i had said.

We wont find out what they learned until their next home console is released, my bet is on "not much" though.

I would say let third party games into your heart and think outside the box. Maybe draw the attention from the control so much and more into the system itself. On the first party software side, they are pretty good.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

At the least, they should have learned to not to use the Wii/DS names again

Around the Network

I think in all seriousness their big take away from this gen will be that the console business is too damn hard, and by making their handheld (basically) their home console too, they solve a lot of their headaches.

Because right now when a console doesn't do well it presents a host of problems for Nintendo -- games that you've invested huge amounts of money and resources into like Smash U or Mario Kart 8 or even things like Bayonetta 2 don't sell what you would hope because you don't have a userbase to sell them to. You have to juggle between supporting the console and the portable and sales of both suffer as a result of wishy washy support for both.

You have to market for both seperately. If you have a bad selling console it can also cause manfacuturing/financial losses which is a headache you don't need when you already are trying to squeeze fleeting profit from the portable as is.

Unified platform is the solution, but really what that actually will mean is really Nintendo will make a portable platform. The "home" version will just be the handheld souped up to run games at a higher resolution. But it will be the same games.

So Wii U in a lot of ways will be IMO the last traditional Nintendo home console, as in one that was completely discreet and separate from the handheld line.

I think for Nintendo they will "liberated" by this, selling consoles has caused Nintendo so much strife and headache really from the NES days onwards, and Nintendo doesn't like that. Now if the home version sells good, great, if it doesn't, well not a huge deal, Mario Kart 9 will still have plenty of users to sell to on the handheld side. If the home console doesn't sell well, they're not stuck with a ton of unsold inventory they have to take a loss on, infact if the handheld and home version use the same chips, they could just repurpose the chips/RAM meant for the console version into their handhelds. Some fans may not like it, but I think for Nintendo it will be a big relief. 

The only thing I feel they've learned is to not put casual gamers first, given what Miyamoto said about the casual gamers. Other than that though, nothing.

If Nintendo learned anything, they'd be fixing it right now. We're not seeing any signs of it though.

McDonaldsGuy said:
Darwinianevolution said:
McDonaldsGuy said:
I honestly don't think they've learned anything. They have no desire to even turn the Wii U around (unlike Sony and the PS3).

I don't think the WiiU and the PS3 problems were the same. Yes, they both had the "the console X has no games", but their core problems were different.

The PS3 was as powerfull as the 360, but it was more difficult to program for. The WiiU uses old technology that Im sure is relatively easy to work for (except the gamepad), but with the lack of power, nobody is developing for it. The killing point was the relation with 3rd parties: the PS3 had to wait a year or two to get proper support, time needed by the developers to get used to the software. They could have work on the WiiU, but they felt ignored due to last gen console, Nintendo's lack of dialogue with the 3rd parties and EA's boycott. Thus, killing any sustainable 3rd party suppord in the future.

Also, PS3 was really expensive and had a horrible presentation on E3 (Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiidge Raceeeeeeeeer). WiiU's was bad, but not that awfull.

True but Nintendo should attempt to turn the Wii U around. It's like they don't even care. They've made so many baffling choices. Not to mention they turned around the 3DS (really quickly). 

Let's look at the weird mistakes Nintendo has made:

- Last gen hardware

- Weird tablet controller that appeals to no one and no company is utilizing it (not even Nintendo)

- Poor advertising

- Hardly any first party games, no new franchises, and spare releases (we usually would have a Zelda game by now but it's not coming out til next year)

- Super Mario 3D World isn't what people wanted. We wanted a Super Mario 64/Galaxy type HD Mario. We finally get an HD Nintendo system and they give us a 3DS sequel!

- Zelda's art style. They showed us a cool art style at E3 2012 that got us pumped up, but instead went with the horrid Skyward Sword art style that was rejected

- Their online still sucks and they STILL don't have achievements. WTH?

- They aren't even reaching out to third parties

The PS3 also had many issues at launch: poor titles, crap first/second party support (lol Lair!), weirdest advertising ever (remember that baby?), no trophies, $599, no rumble, losing third party exclusives left and right (Final Fantasy XIII, GTAIV, Assassin's Creed, Devil May Cry, Tekken 6, etc. etc.), and a lot more. But Sony started to turn it around by 2008. They got major exclusives by then (Uncharted, Metal Gear Solid, LittleBigPlanet), a price cut, started to support rumble and trophies. They also started the famous Kevin Butler advertising which helped turn it around.

By 2009 the comeback was complete - they did a complete rebranding of the PS3 and it succeeded.

On the other hand Nintendo doesn't even care. That's why it's so frustrating cause I thought the Wii was amazing, and the 3DS is amazing. Nintendo could turn the Wii U around in many ways, but they refuse to.

yeah. even sega supported the saturn.