By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Should Nintendo make/fund their own EXCLUSIVE Military FPS with Online Multiplayer? And...

Should Nintendo make/fund their own EXCLUSIVE Military FPS with Online Multiplayer?

Yes! I am a Nintendo game... 56 33.14%

Yes! I am a Sony/Microsof... 10 5.92%

Yes! I am a Sony/Microsof... 4 2.37%

Yes! That's just what Ni... 11 6.51%

No! I am a Nintendo gamer... 18 10.65%

No! The Wii U is dead and... 8 4.73%

No! Military FPS and Pokémon's do not mix! 7 4.14%

No! I am a Ninty purist a... 22 13.02%

See Results. 33 19.53%

Total:169

They did Hyrule Warriors which seemed moderately successful and I don't think that hardcore Zelda fans consider the series tarnished or anything like that despite being a vast departure from Zelda games...

Why not try a Metroid Halo-like spinoff? I know Metroid Prime has been a successful FPS and personally if I would be happy enough if I heard they were making multiplayer similar to Prime Hunters for the Wii U, but a Metroid Prime sequel would not really occupy the same niche as the "military shooters" the OP alludes to, unless it had a major change in ethos (which in turn would piss off existing Metroid fans). But aim the game clearly as a spinoff (or even crossover? "Metroid Of Honour"?) and it could be designed to appeal more to the COD tastes (without being a complete rip off) without betraying the franchise. This would work especially well if they also made a traditional / mainline Metroid game (the same way Hyrule Warriors did not replace Zelda U), and it would even free up options to focus on different elements (platformer, exploration, action adventure, whatever) that the series is known for without worrying too much about filling the FPS niche.

Of course I realise that is a pipe dream, and even if it wasn't it may not actually make business sense since the Metroid brand might actually reduce sales compared to a similar shooter that's a new IP (since Metroid is not a huge selling franchise). But it's interesting to think about the different possibilities.

Around the Network
spemanig said:
thatguymarco said:
No one would buy it, casuals already got Halo, CoD, and Battlefield to keep them busy, even if they were interested in the game there would be a $300 pay-wall that would prevent them to get it. If they were going to do that, they would need to wait until their next gen system so that casuals have a reason to get it over an X2 or PS5.

I disagree. For example, what if, Destiny had been published by Nintendo as a new 1st party IP instead of by Activision? The exact same game (well, homefully better under Nintendo's supervision), only it was Nintendo who hired Bungie instead. That is the kind of game Nintendo needs to be making. AAA western IPs with a wide appeal.

And so many Nintendo fans are against it because they wouldn't be personally interested in it, but that doesn't matter. Nintendo needs non-Nintendo gamers now. They need to change the definition of what it means to be a Nintendo fan to include people who like those games. I personally think TLOU is extremely over rated, but I'm the first person you'll see backing the company if they ever formed a western studio to make a game like that.

Ironically, Nintendo needs to seriously widen their demographic. Not by halting their developement of current Nintendo IPs, but by adding to it with new IPs what appeal to the audiences they're missing.

Though I do agree what it's too late for the Wii U. They should focus it on their next console, but since I think that console will be out by 2016, it'll still be competing with the PS4 and XBO.

With what exactly did you disagree?  We're pretty much on the same boat when it comes to this topic. 

By the way, why do you think Nintendo's next console will happen in 2016? I mean, the only way I can see Ninty doing what you're suggesting is if this gen is as long as the last one, or at the very least 7 years long.

I'm now filled with determination.

They sold Rare because they where somewhat forced to.
Nintendo had a minority in Rare and the Stamper brothers then sold the majority to MS. Selling the rest was the best they could make of a bad situation.

As for fps in general, Nintendo could need a wider audience. Right now they seem to havee Nintendofans and families, that actually care wha their kids play.

Stuff like Bayonetta, Xenoblade and Devils Third is kind of a first step. But they will need western games of different types as well.
That doesn't need to harm the traditional Nintendo games. And Nintendo could as well be doing things a little different with mature games.

It definitely doesn't need to be 'military' though. There has been far to much military stuff over the last years and people are getting bored of that.
But a new fps ip would have to be just one step. There's more than that what is needed to really widen the audience. At the same time Nintendo has to keep their traditional ip's up and running. There's need for a good mixture.

And i really think they have to start it now with Wii U and then really get it going on the next console.

I doubt Nintendo itself could make a good FPS game, but if they get a good developer to do it I say why not. But I would only be interested if its more like Battlefield than COD.

They should have taken their opportunities when they had the chance.
http://www.geek.com/games/timesplitters-4-never-came-to-be-1530102/

Around the Network

No, we have enough shooters already. Nintendo should make games that are completely unique, games you can only find on Nintendo platforms. If they start to copy successful games, they lose their last bit of raison d'être.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

generic-user-1 said:
NO, pls just NO. i dont want those lame casuals on my system of choice.

Just Dance...

Sure, why not? But unless they have the best version of CoD, or Battlefield or perhaps now Destiny, then it's just ticking a box. It's not going to suddenly turn military multiplayer fans into Nintendo fans.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

AlfredoTurkey said:
generic-user-1 said:

Just Dance...

moms are okay, they play silently their games, they harm noone, and maybe they start real gaming when they are tired of sport and wanna play something with the kids...

generic-user-1 said:

You never bought a wii? XD

Ltd predictions by the time 9th Gen comes out

Ps4:110million

Xbox one :75 million( was 65) 

Wii u: 20 milliion