By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Does Kirby and the Rainbow Curse even have a chance of selling well?

RealGamingExpert said:
KLXVER said:
Kirby could use a break. Soooo many other franchises that deserve the spotlight more than that pink bastard...

Huh? Kirby rarely gets games at all.

Yeah, right...

Punch-Out!! rarely gets games at all. Kirby has had like 10 in the last 5 years...

Around the Network

It won't be a system seller or anything but it will sell no less than 500k.

I buy most Wii U games but not gonna get this one, the stylus control doesn't appeal to me..
(well maybe I'll get it somewhere down the road in a game drought ;) )

I was going to say that I am anxious but seeing captain toad's good perfomance I won't!This game released just in december and it's at 340k as of the penultimate week of 2014 and hadn't even been released in Europe as of then(it debuted 1st on the german chart!)

I'm cautious but hopeful about kirby!

The Wii U's install base is a lot smaller but it also is far more desperate for games, Wii U owners pretty much need to decide if they want a Wii U game that month or not game/play games you already have for that month exclusively.

I'm now filled with determination.

Around the Network

nope. Even me a frequent forum visitor and one of the the few WiiU owners forgets about it for weeks at a time until a thread like this pops up.

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

valborg said:
I buy most Wii U games but not gonna get this one, the stylus control doesn't appeal to me..
(well maybe I'll get it somewhere down the road in a game drought ;) )

So you'll get it in 1-2 months then lol jk... hopefully!

RealGamingExpert said:

Kirby and the Rainbow Curse is a follow up to the game "Kirby: Canvas Curse" released in 2005 for the DS.

The sales of the game are pretty low. According to VGC it sold 0.72M WW.

The Wii U game is releasing on a much smaller install base than the DS.

Does the game even have a chance of selling well? It doesn't to be a game with a high development cost, but I doubt that it can even pass the 0.5M mark.

Thoughts?

Thoughts?  I dunno... not much thought went into this topic, so I'm not sure why you should expect much thought in the response.

If you had, you'd probably realize that the game is not releasing on a much smaller install base than the DS.  The DS launched November 2014, and Kirby came out in March (Japan) and June (US).  Using the later release date, the install base was I believe somewhere between 7 and 8 million.  I'm not going to go through the trouble of doing the math, but I'm about 99% sure the DS install base at the time was much lower, and I'm 100% sure that the Wii U install base isn't "much smaller".  

And if you want to point out that the DS sales would begin to surge later on, I'd point out that Canvas Curse didn't seem to benefit much, and sales flattened shortly after release.  I'd also probably point out that according to the figures we have, the game sold 0 copies in Europe.  Kirby may not be huge over the atlantic, but that does seem fishy.

So if you want to go by install base logic, you'd logically have to expect it to sell over 700K without any sales in Europe.  

It'll do fine. Kirby + Budget Price + eShop = High chances of making profits.

Well Kirby Air Ride sold pretty well back when the GCN install base wasn't much more than Wii U's. So it can probably do at least 1m lifetime. 16 of the 22 Kirby games tracked here have sold at least that.