By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - In which cases do you consider piracy legitimate?

Tagged games:

KLXVER said:
Stuff like MAME ROMs since many arcade games cant be found on consoles...

Pretty much this.. There are many great arcade games that I am able to play only thanks to MAME!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Around the Network
Anfebious said:
vivster said:

It seems the general consensus is that it's ok to steal if:

- You don't want to spend money
- Acquiring the product is more effort than a button press

- you are too stupid to keep your things together and feel entitled that warranty is always lifetime

You can't justify piracy but you can understand the reason why people resort to it. Some people live in underdeveloped countries where games are very expensive and not everyone can afford them. I can understand those people (i was one of them).

It should be noted that these countries have absolutely no control on piracy too. So one can download terabytes of illegal content with no problems at all.

I appreciate the sentiment, Anfebious, but I have to agree with vivster. Video games are not some natural right. They're a luxury. Just because a game is prohibitively expensive, or rare, or unavailable, it doesn't excuse theft.

Honestly, I'm shocked at the number of people who steal, and even more shocked at the attempt to justify theft. We're supposed to be the video game vanguard, not the ones stealing games and undermining the value of intellectual property.

BraLoD said:
Darwinianevolution said:
BraLoD said:
What Nintendo is doing in Brazil right now sounds like a "go pirate it" to me.

I agree. I don't know if they're going to stop selling hardware only or both software-hardware, but outside of digital it's going to be really hard to find Nintendo products (plus those taxes are insane).

They are stoping the distribution of ANY Nintendo related stuff here.
Well, piracy was already a very common thing in Brazil (even getting lower and lower since some years ago), it's not like people will not do this now.
Nintendo will start losing fans here, and we had tons of people who like or love Nintendo here, specially Pokémon.

EDIT: And we had not a Brazilian e-shop, there will just be no way to get Nintendo stuff legally here other than importing... and dealing with more absurd taxes ourselves. Lol, not happening.

No Eshop?? How is that possible? can't you connect with NA or european online stores? Best of luck for Nintendo fans there. I hope you can easily pirate their consoles or Nintendo decides to come back soon.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

This discussion reminds me. I bought Battle for Middle Earth 2 when it came out. I loved it so much, I bought 4 more copies for some of my friends as Christmas presents. I left my copy in my parents' house (different country) and I don't even know in which room/box it is. A few years ago I decided to buy a digital copy of it again, but it turns out, EA doesn't have the rights for LOTR any more so they can't sell the game anywhere. And of course, there are no physical or digital copies of it in any store.

My question is: how do I get to play the game that I paid for 10 years ago? I can't even rebuy it (ok I can buy a second hand copy through amazon for an insane price and I don't know if it's gonna work). It's a serious question. What should I do if I want to avoid piracy?

Ka-pi96 said:
Burek said:

Sadly, streaming sites are usually region (IP) locked, and I don't have access to them. I wanted to subscribe to Funimation, but they didn't want my money. So I rather download for free, instead of paying for VPN so I can trick them into taking my money.

Anyway, isn't Crunchyroll streaming also? I use them often, and don't mind paying. But they don't have all choices. I don't have a problem with quality, actually I don't care much as I watch it all on my phone or tablet in 720p. And I torrent the rest that they don't offer.

I was referring to the free sites, not the legit ones like Funimation and Crunchyroll. The ones with no ads, no subscriptions or any of that, I don't think they would be region locked, their videos are always hosted on 3rd party sites such as Megavideo (RIP).

Thanks for recommending, but a combo of Crunchyroll and torrent is enough, I guess. Not like I watch a lot, maybe one series a month. I could get around even without paying for CR, but I like to reward their effort of bringing the shows to my PS4, PC, phone and tablet simultaneously. For that kind of convenience I don't mind paying.

Around the Network
Veknoid_Outcast said:
Anfebious said:
vivster said:

It seems the general consensus is that it's ok to steal if:

- You don't want to spend money
- Acquiring the product is more effort than a button press

- you are too stupid to keep your things together and feel entitled that warranty is always lifetime

You can't justify piracy but you can understand the reason why people resort to it. Some people live in underdeveloped countries where games are very expensive and not everyone can afford them. I can understand those people (i was one of them).

It should be noted that these countries have absolutely no control on piracy too. So one can download terabytes of illegal content with no problems at all.

I appreciate the sentiment, Anfebious, but I have to agree with vivster. Video games are not some natural right. They're a luxury. Just because a game is prohibitively expensive, or rare, or unavailable, it doesn't excuse theft.

Honestly, I'm shocked at the number of people who steal, and even more shocked at the attempt to justify theft. We're supposed to be the video game vanguard, not the ones stealing games and undermining the value of intellectual property.

I am not justifying it, I'm just showing him a reason why people do it and another way to look at the problem. I played pirates games when I was kid without even realizing it. When I had the money I started contributing to the industry but it's just too difficult sometimes.

It doesn't help that Argentina has ridiculous taxes. If you guys even saw the amount of money we have to give on taxes you might start to understand our point of view. It's all about different points of view, I still think pirating games is completely wrong but it's something that happens a lot over here, and I completely understand the people who do it.

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

Anfebious said:

I am not justifying it, I'm just showing him a reason why people do it and another way to look at the problem. I played pirates games when I was kid without even realizing it. When I had the money I started contributing to the industry but it's just too difficult sometimes.

It doesn't help that Argentina has ridiculous taxes. If you guys even saw the amount of money we have to give on taxes you might start to understand our point of view. It's all about different points of view, I still think pirating games is completely wrong but it's something that happens a lot over here, and I completely understand the people who do it.

I don't mean to pick on you Anfebious. My second comment was directed at the thread.

I also don't mean to diminish the financial situation of those less fortunate than myself. But I'm very protective of the intellectual rights of others. To pour one's time, energy, and money into a game, only to have it stolen, copied, and distributed for free across the internet is completley unacceptable.

Shadow1980 said:

As far as I'm concerned copyright should be "Use it or lose it." If you've abandoned an IP, you shouldn't bitch about it if someone is distributing streams, torrents, or ROMs of it. You've obviously demonstrated that you don't care for making any more money off of it, so what's the big deal?

That's my take on it. If the only way I can legally purchase a game is from the used market (ie, none of the money goes to the people who created or own the rights), then screw it. One reason I'm a huge fan of digital distribution these days, not only can we legally get plenty of old games from the PlayStation Store (or Nintendo eShop) at decent prices, but the money actually goes to the people who own the rights. 

Only when I do it.

Bristow9091 said:
What do you guys think of pirating a game that wasn't released in your country, or is considered rare and the only way to get it is to pay into the hundreds? Personally I find both these reasons as legitimate, especially the first, because if anything it shows the publishers that people from said countries are interested in the game and would more than likely buy it if it were released there... it especially annoys me when games are released in the US but not in the UK...

But then for the first reason, I suppose the word "import" comes to mind... so that sort of makes my reasoning pretty pointless, right?

But you first have to hack your system to play them, most of the time. So you  already are crossing a bad line. Because of said company.