By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - In which cases do you consider piracy legitimate?

Tagged games:

- If it is an old enough game and is very inconvenient to obtain a real copy.

- To see how well the game runs on your PC before you purchase it or to test the game to see if you want to purchase it, and there is no demo.

- If the game is broken or buggy and the pirated copy performs better.

- If the game has shitty DRM, and the pirated copy performs better.

- If the game has a low supply and you cannot find a copy.

Around the Network

Since in the US, and they count ripping or burning as illegal, no matter what way you use it. When I rip my DVD/BD to my iPod. I don't give a flying donkey. I'm not re-buying a digital DRM copy. When I can rip it at whatever bitrate, aspect ratio, res etc. when I want. Nor do I use those worthless codes. Especially when a TV show/movie isn't on iTunes or whatever. Or when I dump my GC/Wii games to play on dolphin emulator. I will break those dumb laws. Same goes for disabling the region lockout on my Bluray player. I bought a legeal disc. I don't care where it's from. Sell me Spider-Man 1994 in the US Disney, if you want my money. Intill than. The UK company Clearvision gets it.

I find the piracy = theft argument pretty lacking. Still I believe it should be illegal, because it is damage to someone's property. Piracy is not theft, though. Theft requires the separation of the owner from his/her property. We don't say something is theft if a person goes to somebody's house and breaks their television. We call that property damage. Piracy is the same. It is not theft, but it is property damage. The original owner still has control over the property and is not separated from it. He/she just isn't the sole controller over the property and the property is damaged in the process.

Ka-pi96 said:
Burek said:
I pay $60 per year for Crunchyroll, because sometimes anime that interests me is not available on torrents.

Have you ever thought about streaming anime rather than torrenting? I tried Crunchyroll but thought their selection was really limited (as well as terrible quality) and I can find whatever I want on free streaming sites anyways.

Sadly, streaming sites are usually region (IP) locked, and I don't have access to them. I wanted to subscribe to Funimation, but they didn't want my money. So I rather download for free, instead of paying for VPN so I can trick them into taking my money.

Anyway, isn't Crunchyroll streaming also? I use them often, and don't mind paying. But they don't have all choices. I don't have a problem with quality, actually I don't care much as I watch it all on my phone or tablet in 720p. And I torrent the rest that they don't offer.

If the game costs more than 1% of your monthly disposable income it's IMO justified (so if you make under 6,000 a month). There are more important things to spend the money on, but people should still have the right to enjoy themselves.

Around the Network
contestgamer said:
If the game costs more than 1% of your monthly disposable income it's IMO justified (so if you make under 6,000 a month). There are more important things to spend the money on, but people should still have the right to enjoy themselves.

You should go steal a f*cking porsche. Thats over 1% of your monthly income. There are more important things to spend the money on, but people have the right to enjoy themselves.

I really think your post was trolling... you basically said anything that costs more than 1% of your monthly income should be stolen just so you can enjoy yourself. That is by far the most hedonist thing i have personally witnessed someone ever saying.

Never. For one, games and movies etc are a luxury not a privilege so you can never say "I need it." Second, it isn't theft but a violation of copyright, punishable by at least $700 per work infringed and at maximum tens of thousands of dollars. Also, fun fact: peer-to-peer distribution would qualify as a continuing criminal conspiracy under the RICO laws, meaning you could even be imprisoned. Not that companies evoke them in lawsuits, it's a headache they don't want. But suffice it to say, it is absolutely illegal and as the products in question are luxuries and not necessities, there is no logical justification.

Burek said:
Well, I guess I cannot live up to the moral standards of most of the people in here.
I regularly download:
- Episodes of series I enjoy to watch, or entire series when available. I do not feel like waiting 6-12 months (or never) for my country's TV station to buy it and broadcast it. And I don't feel like adhering to their schedule of broadcasting.

- I regularly download movies I want to watch, because I don't have time to go to the movies, find babysitters etc. And this way I watch them when I want and pause them when I feel like it.

- I don't download music because I have no interest in it. But in case I read or hear about an artist that sounds interesting, I download the album to listen to it. Most of them I end up deleting.

But then, I pay $200 for NFL Season Pass to watch games, because it is much more convenient to me than seeking those files on torrents.
I pay $60 per year for Crunchyroll, because sometimes anime that interests me is not available on torrents.

It is all about convenience. Basically, in order to have me pay money, they need to make that payment seem like it's worth it.
I have no moral dilemmas about torrents, and will continue to use them indefinitely.

@ bolded

I think this is key. Companies need to adapt to the changing technology and market conditions. I think most people would pay if they knew they were going to get a good and efficient service. It's improving, but around 5-10 years ago, torrenting was regularly giving a better and more convenient service than legally purchased media.

BraLoD said:
What Nintendo is doing in Brazil right now sounds like a "go pirate it" to me.

I agree. I don't know if they're going to stop selling hardware only or both software-hardware, but outside of digital it's going to be really hard to find Nintendo products (plus those taxes are insane).

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

As long as people keep buying as much games it's okay IMO.

Most of the times when i pirate games it's to try a game i wouldn't have bought otherwise, either because i'm not that interested in the game at first glance or i don't have enough money. As piracy made me interested in IPs i wouldn't even have tried otherwise, i would say it's pretty beneficial (for example i bought borderlands 2 after getting a pirate copy of the first one).