By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - In which cases do you consider piracy legitimate?

Tagged games:

If you live in a place where you are unable to afford proper entreitnement due to poor income distribution, fuck the police. Do it the way you can.

NNID: MagicalLight

FC: 4124 - 5888 - 4804

Around the Network

I find it justified when a game is really hard to get and buying it won't help the developer much because it's an old game, but I guess it's still not legal.

Only when you already own a copy.

When games are too expensive in the country you live in.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

Its justified for me personally when It grants me something I would never have spent money on in the first place. I never owned a PSP for instance, but got and PSP3000 a couple of months ago (long after they had gone out of production and I don't think they make games for it anymore). Its not hurting anyone now IMO to have CFW on one and play through games which are only available second hand in physical format (where the devs dont get any money for anyway)

PREDICTIONS FOR END OF 2015: (Made Jan 1st 2015)

PS4 - 34M - XB1 - 21m - WII U -12M

Around the Network

It seems the general consensus is that it's ok to steal if:

- You don't want to spend money
- Acquiring the product is more effort than a button press

- you are too stupid to keep your things together and feel entitled that warranty is always lifetime

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

kristianity77 said:
Its justified for me personally when It grants me something I would never have spent money on in the first place. I never owned a PSP for instance, but got and PSP3000 a couple of months ago (long after they had gone out of production and I don't think they make games for it anymore). Its not hurting anyone now IMO to have CFW on one and play through games which are only available second hand in physical format (where the devs dont get any money for anyway)

Something similar happened to me. Years ago I bought a second hand PS2, because it was cheap and they gave me SotC with it. After a week of playing, I realised that the game was having an unusual amount of glitches (the ground and the overworld kept dissapearing, lizards went flying...) and I realised the console was defective when I started playing other games (all of the character deformation of God of War made them look like something out of Dead Space, and the music was completely distorted, like a bad creepypasta). When I asked for a return on the store, they said a machine that old had no kind of warrantee, which was true. I installed a PS2 emulator on my PC because I spent the money on the machine and games. And a PS2 second hand copy of any Persona game is insultingly expensive (and rare), so I just download them.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

For demos.

Because it seems noone really do demos anymore, and there's no other way to try apart from buying it, or watching some videos and trying to figure out if you'd enjoy the game or not.

Emulation, but it depends.

On really old systems where its really hard or nigh impossible to get the games themselves.

Also in some countries it can be a pain to actually get games.  As alot of sites only accept certain credit cards.  I remember you had to have a steady job and be with the bank for a minimum of 3 years to get a Visa or Mastercard.  And stores only carried certain games, and if they were not the ones you wanted, you were shit out of luck, or had to rely on relatives to buy you a copy.  That was years ago though, not sure if the banks changed their policies.

TheSpindler said:
For demos.

Because it seems noone really do demos anymore, and there's no other way to try apart from buying it, or watching some videos on it and trying to figure out if you'd enjoy the game from videos.

So you're the guy who goes into supermarkets and rips open every package if they don't cave in to your demand for free samples.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

I sense the "downloading a file is the same as grabbing a physical object / no it's not" discussion coming on.