By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - In which cases do you consider piracy legitimate?

Tagged games:

I couldn't help it. xD

Edit: The video won't show awww...

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVKxtIvjLJo lol!

Around the Network

When the company doesnt deserve or doesnt want my money =P

Never, but you can't help it when everything in your country is so overpriced, like lemons :P

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

A lot of the people in this thread should be ashamed of themselves. They might as well have said "If this ******* isn't availible in my country, then it's justified to steal it."

i pirated 3 southpark episodes, why? because those wankers deleted the 3 episodes everywhere, well allmost everywhere, piratebay doesnt cares about those things, and episode 200 and 201 are realy funny. and i pirated some movies and games that are not sold in germany.

Around the Network

If it's more than 5 years old it's fair game in my book

Well I feel if the titles been out of print for a significant time and it's insanely expensive to purchase it used then it's alright. The developers are no longer going to see any cash from it anyways. If I pirate, I always try to purchase a copy sometime down the line. I pirated Xenoblade when it came out in Europe because I didn't think it would ever hit NA. I own an unopened PAL copy of Xenoblade to show the devs support.

I personally think it's ok if you already own a copy of the game, and ok-ish if the game in question simply isn't sold anywhere.

Hmmm... I haven't downloaded pirated material for years now. I used to when I was younger and poorer but I don't think that's a good reason. I guess when:

1. You can't legally get the product in your region.

If enough people pirate it in your country it may make the publishers/distributors realise there is a significant market where they're losing revenue and force them to release future material at the same time as everywhere else (and this has already happened to some degree with TV shows and films in the UK).

2. If you already own it.

I don't see a problem with this if it's more convenient to download a digital copy than wearing out the physical disc. A lot of new Blu-Ray/DVD films come with a legal way to download it now anyway.

3. If the pirated copy is superior to the sold version.

This only really applies to games with restrictive DRM (although maybe to some music and films). If the DRM makes it harder for you to play your legally bought copy, whereas those who download a cracked version can play at will, then the publisher has screwed up.

A lot of this is about companies/laws catching up with the digital age. Piracy tends to be rampant when the legal means of acquiring something are long, convoluted or impossible. When companies offer a consumer-friendly, convenient and rapid way of acquiring their material, the reasons to pirate it become heavily reduced.

I used to justify it when I was in college and I didn't have a job. Now that I do have a job I cant justify it.

I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine