By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sony - PS3 will be around for ten years

Kai Master said:

Can we get a translation?  I can only read a few words of it, but I would like to know what the meaning is.

Around the Network

It may last 10 years but that doesnt mean it will be very succesful. They will support it because they have to else no one will buy their next gen console. Like others have said, I think when MS entered consoles, the shelf life of all consoles went down dramatically. MS likes to push politics & economics to make money so they will produce new consoles as fast as the consumer allows it to happen which I think translates to 5 years tops. What will Sony & Nintendo do if MS makes a new console in 4 years? They will have no choice but to make a new one as well and that will spell the beginning of the end for the current consoles. This is just my prediction btw so please dont read it as a factual statement ;-p

marc said:
It may last 10 years but that doesnt mean it will be very succesful. They will support it because they have to else no one will buy their next gen console. Like others have said, I think when MS entered consoles, the shelf life of all consoles went down dramatically. MS likes to push politics & economics to make money so they will produce new consoles as fast as the consumer allows it to happen which I think translates to 5 years tops. What will Sony & Nintendo do if MS makes a new console in 4 years? They will have no choice but to make a new one as well and that will spell the beginning of the end for the current consoles. This is just my prediction btw so please dont read it as a factual statement ;-p
Yeah, I think Microsoft and Nintendo would make a new console way before 10 years.  I especially expect this from Nintendo.  The 360 will probably be be down to $150 in 5-6 years like the Xbox.  I can't imagine them keeping a console that old going for another 4 years.  It seems like there would be more profit in making a new system that blows away the PS3.

deadhorse said:

I highly doubt it will last 10 years. The reason? Because PC games are going to have way better graphics than the PS3/360 in the years to come. [...]

Doom 3 was released on 08/03/04. The Xbox was able to run it. Reviewers said it was pretty close to the PC version. Now, I'm not exactly sure how a standard definition TV compares to a monitor in terms of resolution, but apparently it's 480 scanlines. I'm guessing it requires the same amount of power to display a game on a standard definition TV as it does to display it on a monitor at 640x480 resolution. Doom 3 can be run on ridiculously slow PCs at that resolution, but it looks horribly pixelated. However, people said that Doom 3 looked almost as good as the PC version. Why? Because you don't see the pixels on an SDTV. [...] However, HDTVs do not have scanlines. You can't use scanlines to create the illusion that the game looks as good as the PC version despite running on a very low resolution. In other words, a game on the 360/PS3 needs to be running at the same settings as the PC version to look just as good. [...] In short, it would be cheaper to upgrade your PC to get good graphics than it would be to buy a PS3.

The Creators of Crysis, which is being released on the PC pretty soon, said the PS3 and 360 would be unable to handle it. Crysis pretty much puts Gears of War to shame. So basically the PC is capable of running graphics better than a $600 system almost immediately, which is completely different from last generation where a $200 system had better graphics than an extremely expensive PC. At the moment, it would cost more to upgrade your PC to Crysis level than buying a PS3 but that's going to change a year after Crysis is released. But 3 years from now? Come on, by then an upgrade to a PC that can run Crysis on max settings will be nothing and by then there will be PC games that blow away even Crysis. As for 10 years from now, it's unthinkable as to what a PC will be able to do. The majority of gamers are too clueless to know that they can open up their PC and put in a new video card, but they're still they're going to be looking at PC games and wondering why their system can't do that.

Let's see! First, console games are not defined by PC games. Perhaps that will be true when everybody (meaning 80+% people) has HDTV, but until then, they're not alike at all. Consoles aren't even used like PC anyway.

The XBox was unable to run Doom 3 correctly, meaning without huge drops of dramerate. I'm always amazed at what supposedly high end players on any XBox console, are ready to "forget" to make it look better. I mean things like drop of framerate, load times, reliability, ...

And no, running a game at NTSC or even PAL resolutions internally doesn't require as much power as running a game at 480p. You're right that SDTV, and even EDTV have no pixel though. They display video, which is why there are all kind of problems displaying them on a monitor, which is more accurate than a SDTV.

PC games will always be better, that doesn't prevent the PS2 to sell like mad.

Again, PC are too complicated and are a big no-no for most people to play games more complicated than solitaire or mines. Crysis is irrelevant in this regard, as depressing as it can be for a hardcore gamer.

I'll never understand why graphics whores want to force their view on console gamers. Graphics just don't sell a console or a game. People would flock to PC if that were true. this has already been debunked countless times. Graphics is just a "plus", not a core need of any game.

That's why handhelds still sell. 

Adding power to a console is not a breakthrough at all, so there won't be any breakthrough before long, unless someone comes up with another genius idea.

As for the PS3, let me tell you graphics are not what will make it last 10 years or not, graphics are irrelevant in this regard. There are still more PS2 sold than any next gen consoles these last 6 months, so please, give this "graphics graphics" nonsense a rest! 

Avinash_Tyagi said:
Sony may suppor the PS3 for 10 years but PS4 will be out in 4-5 years

exacvtly you buffoons just like the ps1 and the ps2 they stopped producing ps1s in 2005.

Around the Network

Let's see! First, console games are not defined by PC games. Perhaps that will be true when everybody (meaning 80+% people) has HDTV, but until then, they're not alike at all. Consoles aren't even used like PC anyway.

Yeah, but PCs are the only platform that improves over time.  When consoles came out in the past they have always been capable of graphics that at least looked better than the PC.  They never had graphics worse than the PC.  This generation is the only exception since the Wii is completely inferior to the PC but is still selling well.  The PS3 and the 360 did a different strategy, though, they tried to make consoles that could compete with modern PCs just like every other console has done in the past.  Sony and Microsoft at least are trying to keep up with PC graphics and target people who want state-of-the-art graphics.  Maybe Sony wants to avoid trying to compete with the PC and maybe go with the "wii strategy" of low price, low graphics.  Still, I think Microsoft would crush them if they relased a new console 6 years from now that were on par with the PCs because people would want graphics that good, especially since the PS3 probably won't be doing that well 6 years from now.  It wouldn't even have to be on par with PCs, if it was just a lot better than the PS3 it would sell well.  The PS2 should not be used as a comparison to the PS3's lifespan, the PS2 will be mostly dead by the end of this year, far from 10 years.

The XBox was unable to run Doom 3 correctly, meaning without huge drops of dramerate. I'm always amazed at what supposedly high end players on any XBox console, are ready to "forget" to make it look better. I mean things like drop of framerate, load times, reliability, ...

Well it ran Conker fine and I thought that looked better than the Xbox Doom 3.  So did reviewers apparently.

I'll never understand why graphics whores want to force their view on console gamers. Graphics just don't sell a console or a game. People would flock to PC if that were true. this has already been debunked countless times. Graphics is just a "plus", not a core need of any game.

But they will buy a console that competes with the PC in graphics, that's why they are buying more 360s than Xboxes.  PS2 is a bit odd at this point, but it won't be selling that well by the end of this year.

As for the PS3, let me tell you graphics are not what will make it last 10 years or not, graphics are irrelevant in this regard. There are still more PS2 sold than any next gen consoles these last 6 months, so please, give this "graphics graphics" nonsense a rest! 

The PS2 sales will die soon enough, just like the sales of the PS3 will die versus an Xbox 720.  Of course they'll probably be dead before that anyway, and not because of graphics.

Maybe I'm wrong.  Maybe the Wii will permanantly change consoles, maybe every console with go with the low price and motion sensing technology eventually, but I think the demand for modern graphics will allow Microsoft to kill the PS3 in 6 years by making a new, more powerful console.  Hell, even Nintendo might decide to kill the PS3 with a more powerful system.  It doesn't even have to compete with PCs, that may become impossible in the future, it may just need to be enough to make the PS3 graphics look awful.

Nintendo has always showed us a less powerful cheaper system is always more successful. We will look back on this generation just as we did the SNES and GENESIS days and say, oh, it was obvious Nintendo would win. It was obvious Sony would die.

i thought 10 years was how long it takes to make a ps3 game...... so i guess ps3 will be around for 10 years

I am WEEzY. You can suck my Nintendo loving BALLS!

MynameisGARY

Where is the laughing icon when you need it, cause that was some funny stuff, weezy!

weezy said:
i thought 10 years was how long it takes to make a ps3 game...... so i guess ps3 will be around for 10 years

Hilarious. Bravo, weezy, bravo.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/