By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sony - PS3 will be around for ten years

davygee said:

By the time Nintendo or MS for that fact release a new system...the PS3 could be $200 or less anyway.

It's not even yet proved that the PS3 is superior in terms of gaming to the Xbox 360, except for the storage capacity for games.. The next few months/years will say how good of a processor the Cell is for gaming.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network

Machines can be on the market for let's say, ten years (NES, PS1, GameBoy) ... but it does not mean that a new release won't be offered during that period. and with the technology increase coming in at stunning rates, I think these three consoles (X360, Wii, PS3) will have a 5 year lifespan tops in the tech department. And obviously Wii, is already on the bottom rung of the ladder for this generation. A PS3 will be out of date tech wise in 5 years. It does not mean people will stop buying it, or it won't be great, but I do not see Sony or any other company for that matter sitting on their hands when the next Xbox, or Nintendo is released. If the PS3 is Sony's main console without a new machine on the market by 2017 (Which is what they are implying) , I think it would be a huge blunder

Predictions For Last Full Week of Sales in 2010)

WII - 80.35 Million

360 - 43.88 Million

PS3 - 41.40 Million

More terrible predictions coming Jan. 2011!!!

Well, the PS3... will be around for 10 years. They are already talking about a PS3.5. They couls just keep improving the PS3 over a course of 10 years. It is already ahead of its time, so it could last 10 years with better versions and lower prices.

Edit: Because of its slow start, it will need help to last those 10 years. Unlike the PS1 and PS2 

Firstly, he's head of a major corporation, of course he is going to say his console will stay around for 10 years. What should he say? "Oh well, we'll never catch the 360 and the Wii is kicking both our rear ends so we're going to yank support for the PS3 right about the time FFXIII and MGS are finished. Of course that screwed Sega but we are SONY dammit, people will buy our $600 consoles/computers/home entertainment box without any games, or something." Even so saying it will last ten years doesn't really mean much. Sega supported the Dreamcast for almost 10 years (98-07 in Japan). He would be technically correct (the best kind of correct, ahem, anyways) should the PS3 move less than 1,000 games a week and Sony still offers repair services in 2016.

Is this 10 years until the discontinue the PS3, or until the the PS3 stops being the lead platform? Anyway, this will give us time to save up for Sony's next console!

add me

Around the Network

Sony may suppor the PS3 for 10 years but PS4 will be out in 4-5 years

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

yeah i have to agree, saying that it will be around for 10 years doesn't mean it's gonna actually have any games at all, much less games worth noting. Recently a dreamcast game came out in Japan and sold about 30k, they could say they are still technically supporting it. Only a console like PS2 that sells 120 million is capable of actually being around for 10 years. I suspect that PS2 is gonna slow down really fast next year though.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

JAck Trenton has said alot of things. And if the PS3 is around for ten years it will just give us something to laugh at for ten years. Blu-Ray will be a failure (doesn't support the adult entertainment industry) and quite honestly isn't needed. Sony's business practices are becomming harder and harder to swallow and outside of Eurofags who live and die by the Sony brand name the rest of the market is eager to move on past the dark days of Sony.

Didn't he also say there would be no price PS3 cut for two years?

Gballzack --> hehee... eurofags. Wait... i live in Europe...damn :D

Nothing's cheaper than something free.

F1 vs FOTA, when too much power is in couple peoples hands.

---------------------------------------------------------------